lack of attack on my toms samples

A lot of it just comes down to EQ, in my opinion. I've found that EQ'ing small high-Q peaks up to 10k can bring out alot of the attack in toms. Try a 4-band eq to kill some of the 120hz, cut a lot around 500hz central mids, and then two thin peaks at like 6khz and 10khz. If you find yourself lacking low end then boost some 50-80hz. Can you post a sample of how they sit in a mix? It's kind hard to tell with them alone.

also, make sure you have your tom positioned right when your hitting it. if you have it at an angle (like 45 degrees) there is no way in hell you will get any attack out of it... keep your toms as flat as posible!!!!!

doesn't this just depend on the drummer?! if they're at a 45 degrees position and the mics are correctly in place and the drummer hits them perfectly with a good sound it doesn't matter...

There is more power to be had if a drummer strikes down at a drum. If the toms are angled as severely as 45 degrees then the stick isn't striking the skin at the apex of the hit. Although, having them angled looks cooler...

A lot of it just comes down to EQ, in my opinion. I've found that EQ'ing small high-Q peaks up to 10k can bring out alot of the attack in toms. Try a 4-band eq to kill some of the 120hz, cut a lot around 500hz central mids, and then two thin peaks at like 6khz and 10khz. If you find yourself lacking low end then boost some 50-80hz. Can you post a sample of how they sit in a mix? It's kind hard to tell with them alone.

raw tracks, not mixed, no processing applied (except the tom samples) :

http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/pifos_2/introavecsamples.wav

Tell me what you think !!