Fixing toms

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
I'm wondering how you guys usually deal with toms.

I'm always fighting a lot to get a decent tom sound when they have shit loads of bleed. Replacing them is common I guess but when the drummer is not hitting hard, attacks are not defined and the sound replacer (drumagog or other) doesn't detect the transients. I tried automation (the tracks and the sound replacer)..... not convincing at all.:bah:

I usually remove everything when toms are not played. Cool whit good/decent recordings but there's bleed from cymbals when it's played.

Have you some efficient tips? Could you share your trick for that particular problem? Maybe about replacing, gate, eq....

Thank you

If they're that bad, you can always manually paste in the samples where they should go. Like in the old days before drumagog and trigger.

Duplicate track.

Strip or gate one to only pass the attack. You can brighten this one with EQ, even saturate it with something. Hi-pass, or don't, to taste.

Strip or gate the second one to pass a healthy amount of sustain (1 - 2 seconds perhaps). Low-pass around 500-600.

Transient designers help. Samples are also a route.

Once I tried to convert them to midi but I had to fix all the midi notes because the transients were so much fucked up. So it consisted to drum programming actually..

Duplicate track.

Strip or gate one to only pass the attack. You can brighten this one with EQ, even saturate it with something. Hi-pass, or don't, to taste.

Strip or gate the second one to pass a healthy amount of sustain (1 - 2 seconds perhaps). Low-pass around 500-600.

Really?!