Steven Slate Toms help

Kellii

Nov 24, 2010
Livingston, Scotland. UK
Been trying to avoid posting this for weeks but now I've gave up.

Anyone got any good tips for SSD 4's Toms?

Doesn't matter what set ,I just can't get a decent sound.I really really dislike them!

They have a massive low end resonance right where You would boost ordinary toms and the harmonics of this resonance seem to dominate the sound and is hard to gate and harder EQ out as it kills the low end making them sound like pickaxes on rocks.

I also find the right rack tom seems to usually sound a big naff.

I've heard people make them sound great so its gotta be something I'm doing.

I've been using tips from all the tom threads on this site as well as a couple of Steven slate threads and still can't get anything pleasant from them.

I've been using tips from all the tom threads on this site as well as a couple of Steven slate threads and still can't get anything pleasant from them.

if that's really the case I'd come to the conclusion that those specific samples don't work for that specific project and try different ones;-)

I've tried all the Slate Tom sets. Not one has worked, You might be right that slate toms in general just aren't right for the project. Unfortunately I'm stuck with S S D and no triggering software :(. No money to buy anything else either, SSD cost me £140 (N).

Have you tried a notch in your EQ for those low mid resonances? Doesn't have to be a crazy cut, but if you mess with the Q it can help them sit a little better.

Yeah I've been using small notches in the cubase eq (Q set to smallest it goes). I can get it sounding ok on its own but when I put it in the mix it sounds too high, its particularly bad on the Floor tom as this odd resonance usually sits right where the low end thump is situated in each sample. I should mention I do not boost any high's either.

A good tip: don't use them, you'll get much better results with even the stock ez drummer toms (that's my experience anyway)

A good tip: don't use them, you'll get much better results with even the stock ez drummer toms (that's my experience anyway)

I was thinking this. The next drum programming software I own is the stock Groove agent in Cubase. I actually like some of the samples it has some nice sounds but the velocities in cubases midi just change the volume of the same sound making it really robotic and unversatile.

I'm Going to save up for Superior Drummer 2 as I quite like its toms but it will be a while.

And The StabbinCabin I have been using these too but no matter what the resonance persists. I've actually been wondering since writing if maybe it's being effected by my rooms standing wave?

I might download Reaper. I was going to use Andy's but I plan on releasing the EP I'm working on so I don't want to use anything I would need to get cleared first.

I found a way to use the midi generator in Cubase with SSD 4 and the SSD sample loader to trigger with outside samples.The biggest problem with that is no multi velocities. There seems to be a dynamic/ Velocities part at the right of the SSD 4 interface, but it seems to do sweet fuck all on my computer.

I might download Reaper. I was going to use Andy's but I plan on releasing the EP I'm working on so I don't want to use anything I would need to get cleared first.

I found a way to use the midi generator in Cubase with SSD 4 and the SSD sample loader to trigger with outside samples.The biggest problem with that is no multi velocities. There seems to be a dynamic/ Velocities part at the right of the SSD 4 interface, but it seems to do sweet fuck all on my computer.

Go to superior... is awesome

Try change tuning the individual toms? I've done this a few times to make them suit the song better.

Yeah I've been using small notches in the cubase eq (Q set to smallest it goes). I can get it sounding ok on its own but when I put it in the mix it sounds too high, its particularly bad on the Floor tom as this odd resonance usually sits right where the low end thump is situated in each sample. I should mention I do not boost any high's either.

And the reason you are eq'ing them in solo and not boosting any highs is..?

Go to superior... is awesome

I might when I have the money after hearing it in you're thread haha.

Try change tuning the individual toms? I've done this a few times to make them suit the song better.

Been trying this, Got ok results but there's still resonance problems.

And the reason you are eq'ing them in solo and not boosting any highs is..?

Far easier for me to notch out frequencies I don't want with a small Q when soloed.I only do it for small notches so I don't damage the sound too much, I don't solo for large eq cuts or boosts. Also the slate toms just don't need high boosts.

Here's some examples from different prepro versions of a song I'm working on. The toms are different set cause its the first example I could find on this computer to show you.

Both have eq the second also has a gate(which maybe a little abruptly set) , they don't seem as bad as I thought though the resonance is still there.

I've used a break from a song as this is where its the toms time to shine haha

https://soundcloud.com/kellii123/toms-example

EDIT: After listening to this on headphones/ other rooms I thing the odd resonance might be the toms reacting to standing waves in my room rather than the Tom samples themselves being to blame.

if you dont like the sound of the toms, use other samples. processing can help them fit in the mix better but if you dont like the initial sound then trying to process it is a losing battle.

This. Also, the Slate stuff is traditionally processed to hell and back out of the box. That's half the point TBH. It's worth playing with the velocities too. Alot of guys head straight for 120-127 but sometimes lower velocities work really well. Some of the SSD drums really breathe and sound much more natural IMO when you don't program drums like their being played by the hulk with baseball bats.
On a related side note, I generally feel like guys around here would have less notching to do on their drums if they'd compress less and/or with different attack/release times. If you kill your transient and your release counteracts the natural decay (basically bringing up the gain during the drum decay) you'll emphasize the hell out of ringing and resonances. I'm not saying that's the issue for the OP, just a general observation.

Did you ever try the Zep Toms? I mostly reach out to those if i need them, and they´ve always been my number 1 choice when it came down to tom samples.
Even without compression, EQ, Transient Designer etc, they sound big and they breathe alot. Ever tried those for your project?

This. Also, the Slate stuff is traditionally processed to hell and back out of the box. That's half the point TBH. It's worth playing with the velocities too. Alot of guys head straight for 120-127 but sometimes lower velocities work really well. Some of the SSD drums really breathe and sound much more natural IMO when you don't program drums like their being played by the hulk with baseball bats.
On a related side note, I generally feel like guys around here would have less notching to do on their drums if they'd compress less and/or with different attack/release times. If you kill your transient and your release counteracts the natural decay (basically bringing up the gain during the drum decay) you'll emphasize the hell out of ringing and resonances. I'm not saying that's the issue for the OP, just a general observation.

Thanks for the info, I'm not using compression yet on the toms but I will keep that in mind. J

Did you ever try the Zep Toms? I mostly reach out to those if i need them, and they´ve always been my number 1 choice when it came down to tom samples

I haven’t tried the Zep toms actually come to think of it. I’ll give them a go too.