Music for the recently deceased huge toms

koalamo

Aug 24, 2009
Hicktown New York.
I find my drum sound far from great despite having access to slate samples and every superior 2.0 library and I feel this is do to my extreme lack of experience processing drums however I am getting better at it, and the better I get the more and more I feel less inclined to use slate and more inclined to at try my hand at processing real drums (or at the very least superior samples)

My current pre-amp situation makes it impossible for me to trigger and mic a full kit so I always trigger the kick and snare which aren't a problem for me as those are the most frequently replaced but I would like to know how to get a huge full tom sound either using mics or using superior because I'm tired of using slate toms and I would like to make my own sounds and get better and drum processing but no matter how hard I try I can never get my toms to sound huge and punchy they usually just sound like deflated beach-balls

I've read almost every thread on this forum about this and have tried everything including joey's tom tips and none of them have helped

And I'm assuming a top quality program like superior drummer is very capable of obtaining great results and I know it is most people's go to tom replacement program

So what I'm wondering is how do you guys get a huge full tom sound and get them to cut through the mix assuming the source material is good from the start (superior drummer) the sound I'm aiming for is a IKTPQ style which is why I referenced them in the title, any tips are welcome even threads to other discussion though chances are I've probably seen them before.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338211/bigtoms2.wav (first you hear the dry toms that sound like ass, then the processed and then the effected drums)

processing is pretty simple: eq, comp, reverb and multiband comp

EQ on lower tom: highpass at 95hz, boosts at 110 and 220hz, wide cut at 560hz and cuts at 1.5khz and 11khz
EQ on higher tom: highpass at 100hz, boost at 105hz, cuts at 210hz, 425hz, 973hz, 2khz and a wide boost at 7khz

Then a compressor on both (can't remember the settings as I don't have the settings I used on that sample, but something super generic like 4:1 cutting 6dB and ~50ms attack and 100ms release), and in the bus there is a reverb and multiband compressor (can't remember the settings)

edit: but of course the exact eq settings don't help you if you don't work with the exact same sound source.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338211/bigtoms2.wav (first you hear the dry toms that sound like ass, then the processed and then the effected drums)

processing is pretty simple: eq, comp, reverb and multiband comp

EQ on lower tom: highpass at 95hz, boosts at 110 and 220hz, wide cut at 560hz and cuts at 1.5khz and 11khz
EQ on higher tom: highpass at 100hz, boost at 105hz, cuts at 210hz, 425hz, 973hz, 2khz and a wide boost at 7khz

Then a compressor on both (can't remember the settings as I don't have the settings I used on that sample, but something super generic like 4:1 cutting 6dB and ~50ms attack and 100ms release), and in the bus there is a reverb and multiband compressor (can't remember the settings)

edit: but of course the exact eq settings don't help you if you don't work with the exact same sound source.

50 ms attack? Damn maybe thats what I'm doing wrong I usually have like 5 to 10 but i feel like the higher I raise the attack the more punch I get but its to the point where its all punch and no body and it sounds like a stick slapping a beach ball. If I boost too much low end it sounds like a stick slapping a beach ball taking a shit. I don't get it.

But those toms sound amazing dude, they have nice warmth and nice body but not too much attack. Maybe I should post a clip?