Getting big toms with SD2.0...or DFHS..whatevs

JoshSylosis

May 16, 2005
Reading, Berkshire
www.facebook.com
I struggle to get the tom sounds other people get with these programs. My toms always end up sounding scooped like Pantera - which is cool but not what i'm after.
Anyone got some cool EQ / processing tips to get maximum beef from em?

SD2.0 examples especially

This may be obvious advice but 800hz is a bit of a bugbear for toms. I always have a pretty big cut there to remove the 'honk' (up to -12db if necessary).

i treat metal toms the same as a kick...boost the lows, scoop the mids, boost the highs

BUT...don't cut/boost the same for all of them! each tom needs to be treated in different areas, and needs cut/boost by differing amounts

Don't scoop the mids so much, try scooping at maybe 400Hz a little bit to get rid of any boxiness. Maybe you're EQing in solo, getting rid of those 'honky' tones which wouldn't have been heard in the mix anyway, and then when you put em in the mix the toms sound thin. I haven't found problems at 800Hz really. You might want to try octaves from the tonal as well. I find best results using an overhead mic rather than a close-mic as my main sample for a tom, a more natural sound easily achieved, if thats what you're going for. I haven't had the chance to experiment with room mics yet.

As far as mids, I normally scoop 400hz for the Highest rack tom, and if you're using 5 toms, 50hz less as you go down to the low floor tom at 200hz.

I think the main thing for the toms are the room sounds. Experiement with the bullet mic and different levels of the different ambient mics.

yea, as far as superior 2.0 goes, the room mics definitely add a lot to the toms... also make sure you tune each of them with the pitch knob... the first two toms usually need to be raised a little so they don't sound like the others