Question about using Drumsamples to augment real Drums

EachHit

ScytheBeast
Dec 21, 2013
Germany
Hi,

lately I am messing around with Drum Replacement and Enhancement. I get used with Trigger 2 and I think I am getting better in that.

But my Question is how do you handle the Samples when they are printed? I am not sure to what Bus I should send the sample.

For Example I got 3 Original Tomtracks which are Mono and for every Tom Track I got a Sample Track in Stereo. But I am not sure if I should send the StereoTracks to the TomBus, the Drum Bus or the Master Bus.

How do you handle it when you use Samples?

Heavy Greetz

for toms, i usually set the MIX as desired directly in TRIGGER and then route the toms to a stereo group which goes to the drum group which again goes to the stereo master bus.

for toms, i usually set the MIX as desired directly in TRIGGER and then route the toms to a stereo group which goes to the drum group which again goes to the stereo master bus.

Do you print the Trigger Track? Otherwise you wouldn't have the oppurtunity to change the Mix between Sample and real Drum, right?

Besides that it seems that you handle a Sample kinda like a real Tom. That's what I also was used to but I've seen some Videos where for example the Kick Samples where send directly to the Master Bus.

Heavy Greetz

no i do not print the trigger track, i jsut put trigger on the original track and then use the
MIX knob to set the balance between the original tom track and the samples :)

no i do not print the trigger track, i jsut put trigger on the original track and then use the
MIX knob to set the balance between the original tom track and the samples :)

Never tried that cause I like to save some CPU Power during Mixing/Mastering. Maybe I should try that out for a Song sometimes.

Do you know any in Depth Tutorial for Trigger 2? There are a lot of Tuts on YouTube but I haven't found the really good ones whoch describes every detail in Feature with Examples.

Heavy Greetz

I literally just apply Trigger to each mono tom track, adjust the sample level inside Trigger and adjust the panning on the mix window. After that I just bus them in with the rest of the drums.

hmm, not really, the first thing that comes to my mind is https://www.youtube.com/user/SlateDigitalTV

I think I might check that again. Last Time I looked there it only had a Trigger Tutorial for 1.65 and not so in depth. Maybe I find a video somewhere in all that Playlists.

@Random3: I guess I should try this method out also. This seems to become handy.

Do all of you use One Shot Samples as a Wavefile or are you making your own with the Instrument Editor?
Haven't quite understand how the Dynamics and Velocities on the View Curves Windows work.

And by the Way did any of you know a good trick to Trigger a Floortom? I put it directly on a Flootomtrack and no matter what I setup I got totally wrong Triggers. The Recording of the Tom wasn't the best but it was a pretty low Tom (16"). I found some workaround but that was pretty work intensive.

Heavy Greetz

i have a fairly good method triggering "bad signals" but it's not perfect.

if you drastically pitch up the orignal recording the recording gets
much clearer and easier to trigger. i guess the hi pitch "isolates" or
accents the transient and this results in better transient recognition by trigger.

the disadvantage of this is that you can't use the original recording as it's extremely high pitched. if you replace the tom 100% with the sample this method is quite good though.

one shot samples don't really work from my experience, you'll need multivelocity samples for a pleasing end result. if you are interested i can reccomend some pretty good sample packs to start with.

cheers
FIX

PS: wenn du noch mehr detailierte fragen hast, schreib mir einfach eine PM ;)

i have a fairly good method triggering "bad signals" but it's not perfect.

if you drastically pitch up the orignal recording the recording gets
much clearer and easier to trigger. i guess the hi pitch "isolates" or
accents the transient and this results in better transient recognition by trigger.

the disadvantage of this is that you can't use the original recording as it's extremely high pitched. if you replace the tom 100% with the sample this method is quite good though.

one shot samples don't really work from my experience, you'll need multivelocity samples for a pleasing end result. if you are interested i can reccomend some pretty good sample packs to start with.

cheers
FIX

PS: wenn du noch mehr detailierte fragen hast, schreib mir einfach eine PM ;)

Thanks for the Answer I guess next time I mess up my Floortomrecording I will try and Pitch a Copy much higher and see how triggering works with that.
For the last Song I've done I cutted all Tomhits with BeatDetective and then I TabToTransients each hit and copied a click on another Track to used it as a trigger. It was pretty work intensive but it worked.
Next Time I should definetely try to get a better Floortomsound.

Heavy Greetz