Where to add kick sample when using multiple mics?

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
I plan on using more than one kick mic when micing drums for my band. I would want to blend some slight amounts of samples, just for a tad of clickiness.

Which track would I attach the sample too? The most dominant mic? Or, send all three to a bus and attach it there?

thanks

-Joe

Really doesn't matter at all dude... Pick the track that has the most pronounced transients, send it to a new empty track and apply the sample to that track 100% wet and just blend it in to taste with the fader as if it was another mic on the kick drum.

Yes, that.

Unless in your multi-mic setup you plan on using some distant kick mic, haha. In that case, I'd use the close mic to trigger the sample and blend if need be.

Jeebus Joe, 3 mics? Which ones, and where on/around the drum? And How many inputs are you gonna have to work with? Cuz if it's less than 12, that seems kinda wasteful tbh, I'd rather have cymbal spot mics and/or room mics! (but if you can spare the inputs, then of course go to town :D)

Jeebus Joe, 3 mics? Which ones, and where on/around the drum? And How many inputs are you gonna have to work with? Cuz if it's less than 12, that seems kinda wasteful tbh, I'd rather have cymbal spot mics and/or room mics! (but if you can spare the inputs, then of course go to town :D)

Yo Marucs,

I'm just exploring options right now dude. I'd like to go for something similar to what Bogren did on "Watershed." A dynamic to capture the attack, and maybe a condensor to capture the body of the drum. The sample would be to add some slight clicky consistency. Remember, I'm going for a fat heavy rock tone!

I will probably experiment a lot when the time comes.

Inputs...hmmm let's see! If I got for the Focusrite Saffire 26, then I will probably buy an Octamic of Octopre to have eight more preamps, so I should have 16 total!

I'll probably grab another Cascade ribbon to use with my existing one for room mics.

-Joe

How do you like the Cascade? I've been wanting one for like a year now haha

Honestly, I've been way busy with work lately so testing time has been limited. The few times I had use it, it has peformed great! Ribbons are perfect for mixing with dynamics like the SM57. They really add the low end needed for certain tones. I think I have the Fathead II. Honestly, even the cheapo ribbons sound good. Seizure gets great tones from the t.bone ribbon.

-Joe

I use the cascade Fat Head II on every drum take now. Highly recommend it. Use it as an MS set up and duplicate the ribbon pan each wide L and R, flip phase on one of them and move the center condensor up into the mix with the ribbon fig8 pattern creating a HUGE stereo feel of the kit. Cascades are probably the best mics in their class especially for the price. No project studio should be without a few cascades.