Good mics vs. Sample Replacement

Ganks

Nov 1, 2009
I didn't really know what to call this thread, but my question is simple.

Are good mics (such as the D112, Beta52, and various tom mics) even logical if you're going to be sample replacing anyways?

For instance, I'm using a cheap ass $100 7-piece mic set and I replace all the drums.

Would buying nicer mics somehow increase the samples? :/

What are you guys' experience?

At least try to put together a decent set of overheads and a good snare mic (to start with).

It's always a good idea to have good drum mics, as you can move towards making your own samples and engineering actual, natural drum sounds. Sample replacement is just not something we should be leaning on as engineers, and if you continue to engineer you'll most likely do plenty of projects in which sample-replaced drums will not sound appropriate.

I'd start looking into a pair of good, low priced condensers (Audio Technica AT4021 and ATM450 come to mind) and a great snare mic (Audix i5, Shure SM57, Shure Beta 57A, etc.) and build from there. The bonus is that most good drum mics also work well for other sources, so you'd be improving your setup in more ways than one.

Thanks for the reply!

I use an SM57 on snare, so that's taken care of.

I definitely agree that I need a decent pair of overheads, and thank you so much for pointing me in a good direction!

My overheads now are very dull and muddy. :(

As far as sample replacement, I completely agree. But for now, I do not have the mics, experience, room, etc to get proper drum sounds.

However, I do play around with the positions of the mic to get the best possible sound I can for about 30 minutes before recording a set! :)

I bought the shure sm57/beta52a pack, and I love it. I wasn't going to start out using samples because I didn't even know what they were. However, because of my room and desire for a better finished product, I use samples quite a bit. Like bluelightcory said, you might as well start building up your collection of gear. I have 2 pretty sorry overheads right now and really should upgrade, but yes. OHs are important, unless you are going to replace the cymbals as well...

edit: In theory, no use blowing 150 dollars now on crappy mics that will only serve one purpose now as opposed to forking over some extra money upfront to get the *right* mics that will last forever and pull quadruple duty (guitar, drums, even vocals, etc).

if your 100% replacing then it'll make no difference. but if you want to further your skills as an AE you should slowly build a collection of Good mics and work on getting the sounds yourself without relying on samples.

I've always been of the mindset to get as good a tone possible on the way in and to only rely on samples when needed. Any time I've relied on fixing something in post I've regretted it.

To be honest it's not all that expensive to get nice drum mics- I got my oktava oh's and audix D6,D4 2XD2's and I5 for about 700 euro in all. Those Shure packs mentioned earlier are great for the price- you pretty much get the beta 52 for free!