For guys that sample their drum kits frequently

Uros

Sonic Incision
Jul 29, 2007
between sine waves
A couple of questions:

1. When you sample drums - how do you do division between various groups of hits, in other words - how many different dynamic 'groups' do you have (for ex. weak, normal, hard hits, etc.)?

2. How many samples per "group" (an estimate)?

3. How many room mics do you usually record along with the spot mic of given drum?

I am mostly interested in toms sampling, as I find that it's usually the most problematic part for me, especially on fast drum rolls, where many drummers hit like pussies. Most of the time I only get low end rumble from those "technical" rolls, and not well defined hits, so replacing with good hits is a must.

I usually do as I said - weak, normal, hard, and about 3-4 samples per group. I am interested in other people's practice.

Cheers

I try to get atleast 4 really good hits. If you want to be ambitious i would do up to 16 hits from medium to hard hits.
I usually record samples to enhance the recorded drums, like add the sampled snare for consistency. Not to fully replace the drums

I use 2 (or4) overheads microphones and 2 ambience mics.

I usually record samples to enhance the recorded drums, like add the sampled snare for consistency. Not to fully replace the drums
Yeah, most definitely. I do that too for snare (and kick most of the time). In fact, I don't sample replace my toms at all, as I find them hard to replace, but on those fast rolls lots of drummers are weak, so it simply has to be done (manually), or it'll sound like crap.

Ah good way to replace toms, is to quantize to grid and the trigger them via midi with programs such as DFHS etc. A great way to make them sound natural. and the you get crazy amount of velocities :)

Yeah, I've done it once (without quantizing). I converted audio signal (triggers) to midi using Reaper (huge thanks to AdamWathan for revealing that method!), and it was pretty cool. But I was building the entire drum kit from scratch (shells actually - OHs were recorded), not just toms. Would rather use my own samples though, as they give you much more natural sound. :)
This problem with toms is also what makes me think about buying my own triggers, and using them in conjunction with mics - but only for editing purposes, so I could easily see where a tom 'pussy' hit actually starts, only to convert it to midi or manually replace :)

Ok cool. If you have Slate's Trigger then they have a audio-->midi implemented in the plugin which is great. I only got great natural toms twice. So it is all down to great tom, good tuning and a great drummer. All hits has to be perfect to.
Take a listen to this, all natural toms (ATM 450 on toms): http://studiohaga.net/bloodlit.mp3 .

I´d like to know where you guys make all the process (EQ, Comp, Transient designer....) within you DAW?? Or maybe something like Soundforge-Wavelab style of software...¿?
I usually record my samples using the same template as I´m using to record drums in Sonar, but I always have to export them to make fine adjustments out of Sonar into Soundforge...
How loud peaks you hardest hit?? -3db??

I've been doing rock a long time, but I'm new to metal - you could say I'm a recent convert.

I will usually do three levels of all drums and 4 hits each level/group.

Make sure you're multitracking so you can get overheads and room as part of the sample if you want it.

On snare I'll also do some rolls and ghost note type stuff in the track tempo.

On kick I get separate left and right.