Snare Sample help

Tachy

Senior Fuckers
Dec 9, 2005
In Italy
Hi guys, when I'm recording drums, I mic the snare top and bottom, then I replace only the top miced track.
I use mostly other peolpe snare samples becuse my snares sucks....
I have no problem to get good toms and kick sample, but the snare always make me feel like a shit!
I need some tips to get a good snare sample.:erk:

so, you're saying you want to capture a better snare sample of your own instead of using someone elses? since you said you have decent sounding samples of the other drums it must be some independent variable in the snare that's screwing you up each time. did you try taking away the bottom microphone?

so, you're saying you want to capture a better snare sample of your own instead of using someone elses? since you said you have decent sounding samples of the other drums it must be some independent variable in the snare that's screwing you up each time. did you try taking away the bottom microphone?

yes when doing samples, I miced only the top becuse the I like the leave the bottom 100% natural.

better snare...better mic...that will do...

oh and make sure you place the mic in the right position, sometimes people place it very close to the drum head.

I have tried different mics, also condenser mics, but rarely my snare sample works good.
Atm my drummer have pearl Pantera's drummer, It sounds good in the room ( not my kind of snare ) but miced it sucks.....have you some pics of snare mic placement?