advice on a sacrifice.....

I actually think the drums aren't that bad, they're just overpowering everything else (except the lead guitar).. rhythm guitars and bass are too weak

Thanks. Just did a bit of comp and GClip on master. Lowered drums a bit.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6443251/9-5-2012 Drum Mix Test/9-5-2012 Full Mix 2.mp3

Any better?

Yeah, no automation between Rhy and Leads....just something quick to show the band to see how they feel about the drum sounds, figured I may as well ask the badass mofos here while Im at it!

EDIT: I think once I get in and actually EQ the individual drums and light comp, parallel comp, I may be sorta there.

yep,better.. here's some things that really sticked out to me (remember, all those things are IMO, use your own ears :) ):
1.) kick needs more attack/click
2.) snare sounds a bit muffled, add some highs
3.) still not feeling the guitars at all. any chance this is a software emulation?
4.) guitars have a weird pick attack?!
5.) bass guitar needs more grid

dunno if all those points are kinda retared to mention since this seems to be a quite rough mix, but maybe it's of any help. i actually think you could get a real good sound with some further processing out of those drums

yep,better.. here's some things that really sticked out to me (remember, all those things are IMO, use your own ears :) ):
1.) kick needs more attack/click
2.) snare sounds a bit muffled, add some highs
3.) still not feeling the guitars at all. any chance this is a software emulation?
4.) guitars have a weird pick attack?!
5.) bass guitar needs more grid

dunno if all those points are kinda retared to mention since this seems to be a quite rough mix, but maybe it's of any help. i actually think you could get a real good sound with some further processing out of those drums

Yeah, guitars are Le456 with s-preshigh impulses. Strings are a bit old...

Bass is pitched-down guitar.

I'll tweak a bit more tomorrow when my ears are a bit more fresh and post an update.

Thanks a lot guys!!! <3 (no homo)

UPDATE: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6443251/9-5-2012 Drum Mix Test/9-5-2012 Full Mix 4.mp3

Made about a 6dB boost on the kick at about 5khz, small bump on snare at 200Hz, and about 5dB at 6khz with comp clamping down about 1-3 db on snare and GClip at the end of the chain.

I seem to run into a re-occuring problem:

The "clarity" zone around 3-7khz is where I want to boost snare, kick, and also guitars.....so things start to clash. I feel like I most likely made the mix worse.

Maybe it's the crappy speakers I mix on, but it seems a lot of mixes post up on here sound very mid-scooped in the guitars and the drums seem over powering, yet the mixes are clear and punchy. I feel like I'll never get to the next level no matter how hard I try and no matter how many hours I spend tweaking mixes.....

It appears my mixes lack a huge portion of low end, and I'm not quite sure how to get that into my mixes without making a huge boost in lows over the master bus. *sigh*

The drums are very overpowering in that mix you just posted. The guitars do sound mid scooped. I think it's the s-pres impulse, it's kind of notorious for that. Pick up the 5150 impulse pack that's floating around on here, and give those a shot.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6443251/9-5-2012 Drum Mix Test/9-5-2012 Full Mix 5.mp3

Yet another. Parallel comp on shells, EQ'd the toms to add some attack, bussed toms and put reverb on bus. Bussed snares and put reverb on snares.

Slapped Ferric TDS on guitars and bass for saturation. Added grit track to bass.

Think i totally ruined it now! Sounds pumpy as all hell even though my compressors are barely clamping down....I should just walk away for now until I actually have a proper drum track to work with and start from scratch.