Cubase 5, MIDI drums and Slate Trigger or Slate Drums EX...

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
I am considering using a V Drum kit with real cymbals for my band's next project. I have Slate Trigger AND slate drums EX. My question is, which one should I use to record the MIDI? I am a MIDI noob, the only time I've ever used it is for programming drums.

If I use Slate drums EX (Kontakt player), is there a way to send each drum to it's own track after I record the tracks? If so, how? I will be using my own TCI files for sampled sounds, but will use Trigger as my sample replacement plugin.

Sorry if this is confusing, I have never used this approach before.

no. all the different drum pads will be programed to a different midi note. For instance, the snare is typically programmed to a C1, if i remember correctly. or maybe thats kick?
I cant remember. But either way, it'll record different drum pads as different notes.
And from there, set up your midi track output to kontakt, and make sure the notes match up to the right drums. It sounds more complicated than it actually is.

I'm gonna do that this evening, we want (the band I'm in) to record some tracks on the cheap with that same approach.

So I took the drum brain midi output (roland td12) to the midi in of my interface, and record midi and the overheads at the same time.

Then it's just a matter of assigning the midi track to superior/ad/kontakt/whatever :)

I completely understand what you all are saying, and that's the part I know...My question is how do I route the output of the kontakt player (or whatever it is) to seperate tracks? I use Slate Drums through the Kontakt player to play the MIDI "notes"...But how do I output each drum of the kit from the kontakt player to it's own track. I'm asking because what I want to do is make samples of our players kit from our last release and use those drum sounds on this new recording. To do this, do I need to output the kontakt player/kit to seperate tracks, or use Slate Trigger to trigger the samples from the MIDI data or ????

aside from drum programming, MIDI is new to me. I don't know how to take the individual MIDI drum tones and somehow sample replace those drums.