Samples?

Ultima Ibanez Overlord

-=The Dude Abides=-
Mar 17, 2002
999 letsby avenue
www.mp3.com
Does anyone know a good website to get decent rock drum samples from?
Specifically, I'd like to get some decent snare sounds, and maybe some bass drum and tom samples.
I already have some pretty decent ones, but if anyone knows where I can find them on the 'net, I'd appreciate it a whole bunch.

I'm always looking for good FREE metal drum loops. So help here is appreciated.

As far as samples . . . if you want to pay, go check out Drumkit From Hell. I haven't actually used it, but I hear good things about it. Go here:

http://drumkit.toontrack.com/

I've also heard a lot about Battery, by Native Instruments. You can easily shape your own killer sounds. Kamikaze can elaborate on this. I only have the demo.

Well, I'm on the look for free samples, really. If I buy samples, I'd probably go to a store and check out a load of discs rather than order some online when you can't hear what you're getting, or can only hear a tiny part of the library.
I just found these:

http://spec.ch.man.ac.uk/~ashley/drums.html

http://hem.passagen.se/lej97/kalava/

I haven't heard anything yet, but I have downloaded some.

What program are you using these samples with? I'm just curious what your setup is. I'm pretty new to this stuff.

Kamikaze will come to your rescue on your samples issue.

I'm using Reason. I only just got it, and it's not bad, but it seems mostly designed for creating dance music, so it's library isn't so good.
But it has some really good stuff, and if I had some better samples, I think it'd absolutely rule.

i'm also using drum samples for my music, but use Sonic Foundry's ACID, I have REASON and yes it is mostly dedicated to dance music, but i like very much the orkester soundbanks!!
BTW, i have samples of real recorded drums, but they were brought to me from Holland, so can't give you link...

Thanks. I actually found this page by searching with Google. I haven't downloaded anything from it because the files are so big and I have a dial-up connection.
I'll check it out though.

Reason's soundbank is really good, yes. It's just that it doesn't have many standard drum sounds. But it's synth module is fantastic. And the chorus, flanger, delay, phaser and reverb modules are brilliant.

Thanks very much, Kamikaze. It doesn't seem to be what I was looking for, but thanks all the same.

I actually got some really cool samples from the second link that I posted above. I downloaded hi-hats, snares and bass drums. There are some really good rock sounds with the files.

I created a short backing track with the drums today and I'll be adding some guitars to it either later or tomorrow. I'll upload it to my mp3.com page shortly after (the link is in my quote).
Feel free to check out what I did once it's up there. Also, feel free to check out what's already there :D

Hey, Ivo. Do you know how to change tempo in Reason? I want a song to have two different tempos at various point.
I would like to know how to change time signature, too. But I can get away with just composing it all in 4/4 and dividing the bars. But there's no way to do tempo changes without actually changing the tempo unless I want to screw everything up.

If you know how to do any of these, I'd appreciate it.

Originally posted by Ultima Ibanez Overlord
Hey, Ivo. Do you know how to change tempo in Reason? I want a song to have two different tempos at various point.
I would like to know how to change time signature, too. But I can get away with just composing it all in 4/4 and dividing the bars. But there's no way to do tempo changes without actually changing the tempo unless I want to screw everything up.

If you know how to do any of these, I'd appreciate it.
Hm, it is really strange... I couldn't find a marker for tempo change, and it seems that it's not working to change the tempo while recording the part in real time, which is typical for that kinda software (it gave me an average change)... i didn't find anything in the manual either...
if you have 2 tempos - you can make the drums in 2 different projects\files, convert them separately into wave and then mix them together in Cool Edit Pro, NUENDO, Sound Forge or whatever you're using...

Hmm, I know what you're saying. I had considered this option, but I'd rather be able to make the tempo changes in one environment, without having to keep exporting the song parts and mixing them together.
I posted a question about it on the forum that npearce suggested. Hopefully I'll get a reply to it soon. If I do, I'll post here.
I did a whole load of searching online for answers, but no sites dedicated to Reason even cover this issue.
I guess it's because most Reason users use it to compose dance music. They don't need tempo changes anywhere near as much as prog music does.