San Diego Fires

lol, J-Man. I know that was an odd thing to post up about, but damn... 1/4 $ Billion lost in freaking guacamole?! Just found that insane. Please give Mary a big hug from us, and we do feel the love. :D

Here's a map I found from the LA Times that shows all of the SoCal fires:
LA Times Fire Map

I second Kitty on the major, major kudos being sent out to all who are assisting in the battle. I heard yesterday that some of the crews in the Lake Arrowhead area hadn't been given meals for almost 24 hours. UNACCEPTABLE! This is my personal opinion, and it's something I'm passionate about, so please understand my following rant:

Chula Vista (part of the Harris fire area) earlier this year was planning on cutting funds to their Fire Agencies. This was to include shutting down one existing station, the cancellation of plans for a new one to be built and pay cuts for the fighters. The funding issue for the Fire Department(s) here in SD has been an ongoing issue here in our local politics. Many districts have been dealing with extremely unhappy protective services (Fire and Police, specifically). Many of these agencies haven't received the raises they so dearly deserve for many years. And as unhappy as they are, they are out there putting their lives on the line to protect our lives and our property. I hope what is happening will open our politicians eyes to the fact that these men and women are an invaluable asset to our communities and our lives, and that maybe funding should be cut from other places in order to make these people happy, safe and secure in their heroic jobs. That is a discussion for another time and place, though.

There have been reports of attempted looting, price gouging and people trying, already, to scam residents and/or victims. (are you fucking kidding me?!?!?!) How some people can use tragedy as a means of dishonest income absolutely sickens me/pisses me off to no extent.

Some good news, though... My Uncle in Malibu is safe, as are his family and property. My boss and her family are safe. This whole situation has been 100x more organized than four years ago. San Diegans have shown an unprecedented outpouring of support and compassion for the evacuees. The loss of life has been kept to an absolute bare minimum, as the stats now stand. No firefighters have been killed, though a couple are in critical condition being kept in induced comas. Areas of Poway and Rancho Bernardo have been issuing statements that residents can come back in. Ocean breezes are starting to come in from the coast (this could be bad as well as good, though).

Thanks for the update Colleen, still worried about you guys out there until this is over. Looks like things are close to some dear friends in Temecula, as well.....Shit!~

Colleen and Todd, well you know I'd offer you a place...but I live in Stevenson Ranch, our fire is 40% contained and we are fine. I've been emailing people and posting bulletins on myspace letting people know we are okay.

MAJOR AND MANY MANY KUDOS, THANKS, PATS ON BACK AND COLD :kickass::kickass: BEERS FOR THE AWESOME FIREFIGHTERS, TANKERS, DRIVERS, PILOTS AND ANYONE ELSE WORKING THEIR ASSES OFF TO SAVE OUR HOMES!!

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone.

I called and left you a v/m today wondering what was going on. Consider me updated! :headbang:

I'm very happy to hear that all of you are currently safe, Colleen, Todd, Cole and Kitty. I also hope Drew (and any of the other as yet unnamed ProgPower Peeps and their family & friends) are also unaffected. Thanks also for providing the links to the news stories and maps... I just read the one about the 27-year old arson suspect who was killed near Cal State San Bernadino... it's hard to comprehend how someone could intentionally start some (if not all) of this destruction and get off on it. Again, probably a good rant for another day when the fires are contained...

Thanks for the concern everyone. Fortunately the fires aren't near me (yet). The sky's pretty dark and you can definitely smell the smoke in the air. My roommate's family in San Diego was evacuated, and it was looking pretty grim for their house. Now it's looking a bit better, but they're still not in the clear.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us down here!

NP: Amon Amarth - Death in Fire
(Inappropriate? ;))

I called and left you a v/m today wondering what was going on. Consider me updated! :headbang:

had to text everyone back as I have no phone svc at the house.

Colleen and Todd, glad to hear you guys are allright as well as your family in Malibu. If there is anything you need don't hesitate to text.

Thank you all for your well wishes, thoughts and concern. It makes me feel good knowing we have so many places to go just in case.

FUCK THE ASSHOLE THAT STARTED THE 2 FIRES IN SAN DIEGO. I HOPE THEY CATCH HIM/THEM. NO SENTENCE CAN BE STRONG ENOUGH TO PAY RETRIBUTION FOR WHAT HE'S DONE.

Pete (Benedictum) has posted some pictures here http://bulletins.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=bulletin.read&messageID=4672992827&MyToken=11886291-4d47-45a8-99b4-51d1b8c5c312

It truly does makes you want to just stop and hug a firefighter!! I wish I could've taken the guys a kegger but I took 5 dozen cookies to the fire dept. in our neighborhood. I've clapped, yelled, thanked and given thumbs up to every firetruck, bulldozer, dept. of forestry and any other agency involved in helping keep us all safe.

here is hoping that when President Bush is flying around today he will not stop any other plane from flying close to his airspace as we need these precious moments to keep dumping water and fire retardant on the blazes.

Thanks for worrying about me all! But it seems my house should be fine. I was worried for a while, but then I was informed that the winds were not strong enough to blow the fires 2,500 miles over to Georgia.

((Our Georgian fires this year were not nearly as bad, but I do know how annoying it is from it to be smelling smoke... ugh it sucks. Stay healthy!)_