Sanctity - "Road To Bloodshed"

SweptbackFlame

twitch.tv/SweptbackFlame
Oct 4, 2006
Canada
Has anyone had a chance to listen to the debut album from Sanctity?

I have had a chance and I must say it's better then what I was really expecting, It may sound like Trivium's riffs but IMO these guys are 1,000 times better then Trivium. Not to mention the vocals are way more tolerable then those of Trivium

Anyone else have thoughts on them?

I bought the new album about a couple of weeks ago, and I was actually pretty impressed. When people were calling this band thrash metal, I was expecting another Trivium-like band that claims to be "bringing back" thrash, but is just another worthless shitty poseur band. However, I gave them a chance anyway, and it was well worth it. Beneath The Machine, Road To Bloodshed, and Zeppo are my favorite songs. About the only thing that bugs me slightly about this band is the vocals, but they're alot better and tolerable than Matt Heafy's god-awful vocals.

^ i dont want to post two lols in succession, but u just burst the ball the kids were playin with :lol:

I bought the album because they're one of the openers for Symphony X when they come here, so I was curious. The music is tolerable. My dad likes it a lot for some reason.

I heard about these guys before they got signed, I used to hear about them playing support slots so I looked them up. I am a prety big fan of Sanctity, they will go a long way, they have massive potential at a young age.

I actually liked this review of their album.

published at Blistering.com

The old phrase "It’s not what you know, but who you know" certainly applies to Roadrunner Records signing Sanctity.

Founded in 1999, the Asheville, N.C., quartet of vocalist/rhythm guitarist Jared MacEachern, lead guitarist Zeff Childress, bassist Derek Anderson and drummer Jeremy London put together a couple demos and performed extensively in its home region before Trivium vocalist/guitarist Matt Heafy spotted the band when it supported Trivium alongside Fear Factory. He duly recommended them to Roadrunner A&R man Monte Conner, and within 12 months, Sanctity entered the studio under the watchful eye of in-demand producer Jason Suecof (Chimaira, If Hope Dies, Trivium).

Although many will unfairly dismiss Sanctity as a Trivium clone, the truth is that "Road To Bloodshed" is vastly different from the latter band's output, and its debut offers far more to melodic trash. Opening track "Beneath The Machine" makes for a great start and incorporates just the right amount of melody. MacEachern's lower-end growls in particular are a standout. His vocals sometimes bear a striking resemblance to Testament’s Chuck Billy, while at others his high-end screams sound like Judas Priest’s Rob Halford.

"Brotherhood Of Destruction" maintains the energy level with MacEachern relying a little more on his cleaner singing, while the title track takes a completely melodic approach. It contains multi-layered vocals, but it doesn’t fail to impress in the musical stakes with impressive guitar solos punctuating the heavier riff structures.

From here on in, the high standard that's set at the beginning of the album is maintained with a quality mix of the aggressive ("Laws Of Reason," "Beloved Killer," "Flatline" and "Seconds") and the melodic ("Zeppo," "The Shape Of Things," "The Rift Between" and "Once Again"). There’s also some experimentation: "Billy Seals" boasts a brief yet very effective violin intro.

At a time where bands often brag about their thrash influences, it’s refreshing to hear one that actually incorporates them into its sound. With the highly impressive "Road To Bloodshed" under its belt, we can expect great things from Sanctity in the future.

Has anyone had a chance to listen to the debut album from Sanctity?

I have had a chance and I must say it's better then what I was really expecting, It may sound like Trivium's riffs but IMO these guys are 1,000 times better then Trivium. Not to mention the vocals are way more tolerable then those of Trivium

Anyone else have thoughts on them?

Dude i respect that, thats so true.
Once I heard sanctity I've like lost all my interest in trivium.
They are awesome and deserve more respect then they get.

Peace

Justify that... I think they are far from crappy and they dont miss a note from the live videos I have seen, for a band that has just recorded their debut they are miles better then a lot of established bands, and they come from a neck of the woods where there is no Metal community.

They're another crappy band attempting to do something they can't pull off, when will this wave of bad music end..

So what is it that makes them crappy? Or do you just hate them, because they're a new band that's slightly popular?

did i just describe them as not being able to pull off what they want to do. sanctity is a wannabe-trivium band, trivium is a wannabe-metallica/maiden/slayer/whateverthefuckelse band. they can't possibly become better than the original if all they decide to do is copy them.

Have you even heard Sanctity? I talk to the guys from the band now and then, Trivium is ONE of their many influences, sure Heafy got them signed, and fuck, good on them but dont hold it against them that some 20 year old kid that has suddenly been branded the new Hetfield by the press helped them get a deal on the biggest heavy label in the world.

And yeah, you mentioned not being able to pull off what they want to do, but you didn't justify it. Road to Bloodshed is a very solid album, given it was a debut (and hence didn't have the luxary of years of production time *cough Axl Rose cough*) to be released it is almost flawless. Forgetting that, if it came later into a bands career it would still be good.

Toxik, you are a representation of what is wrong with much of the metal community, you are under-informed, biased, and like to brand shit before you give it a chance. So a new thrash band pops up outside the hey-dey with some melodic and metalcore influences, so fucking what, Metallica had big influences from Motorhead starting out but didn't get branded for it. You know why? Because metal had not crossed the mainstreams radar back then. Now fast forward to today and we have idiots like you that are so intent to dodge a mainstream which is starting to become more welcoming to metal that the mainstream press cant even hear of things or you trash it, instantly labelling it bad. Fuck Trivium are not even mainstream despite the fact they are seemingly so well known in the press so get a grip, things dont need to be completely underground to be worth a minute of your wanking time.

did i just describe them as not being able to pull off what they want to do. sanctity is a wannabe-trivium band, trivium is a wannabe-metallica/maiden/slayer/whateverthefuckelse band. they can't possibly become better than the original if all they decide to do is copy them.

Alright, so why exactly can't they "pull it off"? Chances are, you haven't even listened to them, and just assuming that they're like Pussium. I did the same thing until I actually listened to them.

Oh and...
Toxik, you are a representation of what is wrong with much of the metal community, you are under-informed, biased, and like to brand shit before you give it a chance. So a new thrash band pops up outside the hey-dey with some melodic and metalcore influences, so fucking what, Metallica had big influences from Motorhead starting out but didn't get branded for it. You know why? Because metal had not crossed the mainstreams radar back then. Now fast forward to today and we have idiots like you that are so intent to dodge a mainstream which is starting to become more welcoming to metal that the mainstream press cant even hear of things or you trash it, instantly labelling it bad. Fuck Trivium are not even mainstream despite the fact they are seemingly so well known in the press so get a grip, things dont need to be completely underground to be worth a minute of your wanking time.

qft :kickass:

Have you even heard Sanctity? I talk to the guys from the band now and then, Trivium is ONE of their many influences, sure Heafy got them signed, and fuck, good on them but dont hold it against them that some 20 year old kid that has suddenly been branded the new Hetfield by the press helped them get a deal on the biggest heavy label in the world.

And yeah, you mentioned not being able to pull off what they want to do, but you didn't justify it. Road to Bloodshed is a very solid album, given it was a debut (and hence didn't have the luxary of years of production time *cough Axl Rose cough*) to be released it is almost flawless. Forgetting that, if it came later into a bands career it would still be good.

i listened to the whole album and even saw them live at a concert because my buddy dragged me down there and told me to check out "road to bloodshed" from what my ears told me, this piece of shit album sounded exactly like trivium with a different voice babbling about the same shit like reaching your dreams or killing yourself. don't give me the bullshit that i'm uninformed, i gave the band a chance and they failed me. and trivium steals riffs/solos and i wouldn't be surprised if sanctity pulled off the same exact BS that they do.

You called them a wanna-be Trivium band when they have been playing Metal since well before Trivium's interception. Their biggest influences are In Flames and Megadeth, that is why I called you uninformed.

You obviously do not have a good musical ear if you think it sounded "exactly" like Trivium.

News for you, everyone steals riffs and solos, they call it inspiration.

You dont like a band fine, but dont call them wannabes or make claims like they cant pull off what they do when they do it well and dont want to be anyone but Metal Musicians in a thriving industry.

I tell you what, they impressed the shit out of Dave Mustaine, so much so that he gave them a slot of gigantour before they had an album out.

it doesn't take much to impress dave mustaine, since trivium's lead is basically gay for him and he got impressed by that much.