SANCTUARY Completes Work On 'The Year The Sun Died'...

Mostly, it sounds like Warrel. If you took the last two Nevermore records, his solo disc, and what he did with Sanctuary (not vocally, but from a songwriting perspective), you'd land where the new Sanctuary record lands. As Warrel said in the interview he did for the festival, "I know a lot of people are going to expect Refuge Denied, but it's just not going to happen. That was a time and a place that was special and can't be duplicated."

Guys, like I said a couple of months ago, I love the artwork. I told Matt before, that my eye doesn't catch fine details like a label owner would. The artwork reminds me of some post-apocalyptic movie, which I'm a total sucker for!

~Brian~

Hope I'm not being a jerk here, but I think that this is a really interesting interview we did with Warrel and Lenny.

Hope you like it.

LOVE this shit!!! Can't wait until it comes out so I can get it!!

I got a copy a couple of weeks ago, and it actually is not that bad. The single released was not much to go on, think it is the weakest song on the album.

I'm I the only one that is reminded of this going by the title and cover of the new Sanctuary?

Bauhaus - The Sky's Gone Out

From http://www.enterthevault.com/artist.php?id=845

West coast tour:
11/14 Studio Seven 110 S. Horton St. Seattle WA
11/15 Rickshaw Theater 254 East Hastings St Vancouver BC
11/16 Hawthorne Theater 3862 SE Hawthorne Blvd Portland OR
11/19 The Grove 2200 East Katella Ave Anaheim Ca
11/20 LVCS 425 Freemont St Ste 200 Las Vegas NV
11/21 Club Red 1308 West university Drive Tempe Az
11/22 Ramona Mainstage 626 Main St Ramona CA

I've never heard a single note from Sanctuary. Ever. But these new tracks sound amazing to my ears. I have no idea how this compares to their older material and I really don't care. This really grabbed me. I kinda thought Nevermore was running on fumes the last couple of albums, so this is a welcomed change of scenery for Warrell. This is a definite purchase once released. I fully expected to get my rock on with the new Evergrey, but that didn't happen. I think these guys will fill in nicely.

I've never heard a single note from Sanctuary. Ever. But these new tracks sound amazing to my ears. I have no idea how this compares to their older material and I really don't care. This really grabbed me. I kinda thought Nevermore was running on fumes the last couple of albums, so this is a welcomed change of scenery for Warrell. This is a definite purchase once released. I fully expected to get my rock on with the new Evergrey, but that didn't happen. I think these guys will fill in nicely.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here, but if you like this and like Nevermore, why not look into Sanctuary? Seems like an odd comment to make when taking a listen is a pretty easy thing to do.

Great song. Nice to see they didn't get stuck in time like some guys in this thread (and forum) are.

Looking forward to the new album.

PS. Sanctuary comes out with a new album after decades, and the first thing you do is bitch about the cover? For fuck's sake...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You Win the Interweb!

I'm looking forward to picking this up.

1) I agree with the notion that Nevermore was running on fumes during their last album, but I thought their prior album, "This Godless Endeavor," was outstanding. To each his own.

2) if you're looking to explore Sanctuary's older material, I would start with "Into the Mirror Black," then "Refuge Denied."

Sorry, my comment came across wrong. I meant whatever they released before had no bearing on what I'm hearing now. I also don't expect the same level of songwriting, musicianship or production. I didn't want to compare this new one with anything prior to its release. I will certainly look into the back catalog. I simply want to experience the band as they are now before I dive into the past. And, I think the album cover is fantastic. Sure it's simplistic and abstract, but I also dig Travis Smith, and he has some very simple compositions that speak volumes. The yellow border around the logo really pops. I am seriouly looking forward to this.

Sorry, my comment came across wrong. I meant whatever they released before had no bearing on what I'm hearing now. I also don't expect the same level of songwriting, musicianship or production. I didn't want to compare this new one with anything prior to its release. I will certainly look into the back catalog. I simply want to experience the band as they are now before I dive into the past. And, I think the album cover is fantastic. Sure it's simplistic and abstract, but I also dig Travis Smith, and he has some very simple compositions that speak volumes. The yellow border around the logo really pops. I am seriouly looking forward to this.

Gotcha. Understandable. Yeah I'm also in the category of not trying to compare it to the past. Sorta silly to compare it to something from almost 30 years ago.

I like the album quite a bit, even though it sounds like Nevermore minus Jeff Loomis, and he was my favorite part of Nevermore. I know some people really want Refuge Denied 2.0, but I suspect that Warrell Dane's voice can't handle stuff like that anymore. That's not a knock against him either, it's good that he knows his limits and doesn't make any vocal promises he can't deliver on. He's still got it in that midrange that he used so well in Nevermore.

I like the album quite a bit, even though it sounds like Nevermore minus Jeff Loomis, and he was my favorite part of Nevermore. I know some people really want Refuge Denied 2.0, but I suspect that Warrell Dane's voice can't handle stuff like that anymore. That's not a knock against him either, it's good that he knows his limits and doesn't make any vocal promises he can't deliver on. He's still got it in that midrange that he used so well in Nevermore.

He proved live that he can, but I think at his age, he can only do so much of it. I don't hold anything against him for not doing those upper registers. People seem to keep forgetting that ITMB was quite different than Refuge also.