sans psa-1 preamp help?????????

BreedingDeath

Beyond the Halo
Jun 5, 2002
pennsylvania, USA
Visit site
i bought a sansamp psa-1 preamp and i want to run it into my mesa trip rec and use the triple rec as the power amp, which way do you hook the preamp up? thru the fx loop or what? sorry for sounding stupid, but this is my first time messing with preamps and i dont want to blow up my mesa so any help would be greatly appreciated, thankx

Yes through the effects loop, the sansamp wouldn't hurt the mesa going in direct...but having a preamp through a preamp is generally a very crappy sound. To use the mesa as a poweramp you'll want to first check if there is a switch in back, on my laney it is a 3-way one...you'll want it on "Insert". This is because you're not sending a signal through the main amp, you are just inserting it after the preamp. Then run your guitar into the psa-1 input, and the mono out of the psa-1 into the Return of the mesa.

Couple things you should know, none of the EQ controls on the front will do anything. Only the master level control should have any effect at all. That can make it a little hard to get loud enough but as I remember the psa-1 has quite a bit of power in it. You should get a good sound out of the thing, but in my experience the psa-1 does much better with a solid state power amp...I don't know why. I used it with a mosvalve in a rack setup and it sounded pretty good I suppose. It takes a LOT of time to tweak the settings just right and personally I found it even more difficult then the GT-3 I have now because everything is so sensitive. You don't have a preset preamp model to work off really, though you have a general idea from their suggested settings. The good part is that it IS one of the very best preamps out there if you want the wide range of settings. It has a lot of gain as well.