Sansamp on vocals

i just recorded a crusty emocore band the last few days and did something i wanted to try for quite a while: record vocals through a sansamp and damn! the result was amazing! one of the best vocal distortions i ever heard in real life!
i just took an SM58, splitted the signal, recorded the dry signal, routed the other to my Tri-AC set to british with everything 1 o' clockish and mids at 2 o' clock, mix it in to taste...
i hope i can post some soundclips soon but i just wanted to share it because i was so amazed. maybe something some of you guys could use some time

punkrockacademyfightsong said:
i just took an SM58, splitted the signal, recorded the dry signal, routed the other to my Tri-AC set to british with everything 1 o' clockish and mids at 2 o' clock, mix it in to taste...

Dumb question:
Does "splitting the signal" mean taking a recorded track and recording it onto another track?

Radd said:
Dumb question:
Does "splitting the signal" mean taking a recorded track and recording it onto another track?

i a actually splitted the signal before recording it, using a passive DI box. the paralel (jack) out was routed to the sansamp and then to channel 2 of my soundcard and the XLR out was routed directly to channel 1 of my soundcard. this way the singer also has the distortion in real time and you can mix a balance of clean and distortion for his monitoring wich he is comfortable with.

Ah, ok, I get it. I've heard that phrase used before in here and was wondering exactly what it means. So it's a DI box that is most likley used when someone says "splitting the signal".

broken81 said:
which sansamp

Pics or link please :kickass:

If its the poor mans disstressor i must have heheheheh......
I was referring to the sans bass di pedal myself. try it as an aux send on your mix, bring up some killer distorto drums under the originals, good stuff

yeah man.... i do this with my pod xt all the time, got that "Chino effect" on fightstars cover of "my own summer" on the kerrang 25th aniversery CD this way,

also i find it gets a better performance if the singer can hear the gain a bit in their monitor mix too.

C

Hehe, I've been relying on my SansAmp PSA-1 for vocals since about 1996 (mainly because it used to be the only distortion I had) ... it's really a nice thing and I still use it as my live vocal-distortion effect because it is midi-switchable.

yeah, the band i tried it with was Marat, i'll keep you updated as soon as i have some mixed material.

today i've been recording vocals for another band (Brat Pack) punkrocknroll in the vein of RKL, also used the Tri-AC again.
this time i set up a rode NT1000 and recorded that clean. I put my 906 behind / next to it and ran this through the sansamp, amazing results again! i wonder if there will be a day that i create a mix with only sansamp sound in it ;) maybe i should use it in a mastering chain sometime instead of antares tube ;)