SARAYA

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
Ok, so I was listening to the Hair Nation, Sirius 6023, this morning while getting ready for work. They start playing a song called, Love Has Taken It's Toll. Basically, I loved what I heard. I've heard of Saraya before, but I've never actually heard their music.

Is anyone familiar?

they are excellent, if you don't mind "hair metal"... they have a very bluesy sound to them, and Sandi has a voice like an angel. The s/t album rocks harder; the second album is less heavy/rocking, but shows a lot of growth and maturity.

Yeah I gotta agree also, "Love Has Taken It's Toll" is a great song. Very good bluesy hard rock/metal band that never quite got the recognition they deserved. The video for "Love..." received a lot of airplay back in the day on headbanger's ball.

Shit over 15 years ago I played on the Saraya's drummers kit while they played for us at my job when I worked at Trans World Music Corporation in Albany NY.

They also had a song on the SHOCKER soundtrack called Timeless Love.

What a great band...

I always thought their debut album was a little corporate, but "Love Has Taken Its Toll" makes it worthwhile.

When The Blackbird Sings...what a great album...it still gets semi-regular spins in my player 15 or so years later.

I always equate it to a Badlands or Lynch Mob album with ballsy female vox...just kicks my ass every time with a slightly southern-fried boot...

Rock on!

Saw Saraya play out live way back when in NorCal. DAmn for a tiny little thing, Sandy Saraya has a set of lungs and pipes on her. I have both releases, LHTiT is a great song but there are some other gems on there as well like, Healing Touch, Back to the Bullet, Fire to Burn, Drop the Bomb, and more. DAmn, now I gotta rip these to the ole Ipod and rock out hair metal chick style!

Back to the bullet......

Coldie

I always equate it to a Badlands or Lynch Mob album with ballsy female vox...just kicks my ass every time with a slightly southern-fried boot...

I actually saw Saraya open for Badlands on the Voodoo Highway tour :kickass:

They came across really well live...the crowd was definitely in to them. I thought "Love Has Taken It's Toll" was a pretty good tune...they were a good opening act for Badlands.

Slightly off-topic, Glenn Hughes was in attendance at that show; during their set, Ray Gillen asked if Glenn was in the crowd...unfortunately, Glenn didn't want any attention AT ALL that evening.

Thankfully, I did get to see Glenn at the same venue less than three years later when they were doing the Trapeze reunion.

Still woulda been cool to see him jam with Badlands, though...

I also saw the same show as James. I saw them open for Badlands at The Ritz in NY. I also ended up working with a guitar player that toured with them. My friends opened for Saraya at Studio One in Newark, NJ and I meet her and she gave me a kiss. I won't forget it, she was very cool.

:Smokin:

Yeah I gotta agree also, "Love Has Taken It's Toll" is a great song. Very good bluesy hard rock/metal band that never quite got the recognition they deserved. The video for "Love..." received a lot of airplay back in the day on headbanger's ball.

Never got to see them live but always loved that song. What a killer voice she had! I was living in San Antonio at the time when that song was big and remember the local rock club, Sneakers playing that alot and Skid Row's "18 And Life." Ahh the days when hard rock/metal was cool.:kickass:

Great White Tesla and Badlands...I saw the same tour.Badlands was loud as hell,which didn't project their music very well,Tesla had vocal problems,as in,the singer couldn't hear himself sing and unfortunately was off key at times,and Great White was same old GW...decent enough but their stage presence was kinda boring.
Saraya I saw at a tiny club here in Erie PA...Sandt Saraya kicked ass...too bad she quit the music biz after album #2...poor sales and all.
Which brings me to my next question.....Remember Femme Fatale?

Great White Tesla and Badlands...I saw the same tour.Badlands was loud as hell,which didn't project their music very well,Tesla had vocal problems,as in,the singer couldn't hear himself sing and unfortunately was off key at times,and Great White was same old GW...decent enough but their stage presence was kinda boring.
Saraya I saw at a tiny club here in Erie PA...Sandt Saraya kicked ass...too bad she quit the music biz after album #2...poor sales and all.
Which brings me to my next question.....Remember Femme Fatale?

Lorraine Lewis is still recording music. Sounds little different but she can still sing. That Femme album was great, I'm suprised it didn't get more airplay than it did, a lot of catchy tunes on that disc.