Satriani files lawsuit against Coldplay

I dont think he's got any chance of winning, there's only a couple of notes in the riff that are the same and the backing is a pretty basic chord progression

I don't like Coldplay but I wouldn't root for Joe to win because it's obviously just coincidence and it'd be unfair - which is more important despite what you think of either artist

I reaaaaally doubt the dudes in Coldplay sit around on their bus rocking out and air-guitaring to Satch albums - I bet none of them had ever heard that song before Joe brought it up

When i started playing guitar the only thing i listened was metallica, slipknot ,vai and satriani.(dont blame me XD now i listen all kinds of music)
one day i make a very catchy chorus riff ...and i put it in one song...
one week later my singer said to me "men...that riff is from coal chamber"...i havent got a clue about who were coal chamber...so i searched the song ...and it was THE SAME RIFF...EXACT NOTES AND EXACT TEMPO...
other day i make a really fucking br00tal intro for a song...3 days later listening to dimmu borgir...it was the main riff of
puritania...

im not defendind coldplay...i hate them and i really wish that satriani wins..but i only say that...this shit happens...

if i make a riff and it sounds like a bulb song (i really wish i can compose something barely similar XDD) even if i love the riff...i would never use it...i really hate when i heard a band and i think "this is a rip off of lamb of god/in flames/metallica (for example)" and i would be ashamed if i make a song and someone says "that riff is from "insert band name here"

p.s: sorry if theres something wrong with the english

a similar thing happened to me, but with a local band!! which is even worse since we would all be playing in the same areas (this whole damn place is only 100*35 miles)
but you know what i said?? "Fuck It" i used the riff anyway, cause there are only 12 notes. & there's only so many ways to play those same 12 notes...everything's been done a million times over i reckon

one of the newer Madonna tracks using the melody from Gimme Gimme Gimme by Abba (not sure if she was licensed for this or not)

Madonna got clearance for that sample. As I heard it Abba didn't fancy letting her use it, so they named a multi-million dollar sum for their permission, figuring she'd never pay. Imagine how gutted they must have felt when she did.

Children Of Bodoms Punch Me I Bleed, and Pantera's Hard Lines, Sunken Cheeks (very similar melody on the intro).

Bodom is the worst with fucking ripoffs! :lol: Jesus christ, I've NEVER heard a band with so many obvious derivatives - the big ones to me:

"We're not gonna fall" opening riff - Shadows Fall's "What Drives the Weak"
"Lil Bloodred Riding Hood" chorus - Dissection's "Night's Blood" chorus
"Bodom Beach Terror" opening drum beat/riff - Carcass' "Corporal Jigsore Quandary" opening riff

HAHA!! The list goes on (keep in mind, this are the blatant examples, there are probably more)...

The end solo of "The Nail" sounds is the same as the end of "Far Beyond The Sun" by Yngwie Malmsteen.

Bed of Razors and Annihilator's Allison Hell.

Riff at 2:01 in Bodom After Midnight was taken from the soundtrack of the movie The Rock. The band has confirmed this.

Hate Me at 0:50-1:00 is a riff in a Manowar song "Voilence and Bloodshed",

Are You Dead Yet (song) and Slipknot

Hatebreeder (song) has a solo identical to a Rendition of a Soprano line in a Mozart Piece.

Main riff in Angels Don't Kill just like "Tubbs and Valerie" from Jan Hammer

Lil Bloodred Ridin Hood's verse riff is the same as the Dissection song Unhallowed, and the melody in the chorus is the same as Dissection song Night's Blood

Red Light In My Eyes Part 1 starts with Bach, Part 2 starts with Mozart and goes to a different Mozart riff later in the keyboards,

Banned from Heaven and Hypocrisy's Eraser. Peter Tagtgren produced COB's Blooddrunk album, so this isn't a surprise.

almost everything i've heard done on an 8 string sounds like a carbon of meshuggah.

takes a lot to differentiate in this day and age.

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF IT'S COOL
IT ONLY MATTERS IF IT ROCKS