Saturday April 19th - www.recordstoreday.com/

David Gold

Son of the Darkest Blues
Feb 20, 2004
No hometown, Ontario.
www.woodsofypres.ca
Cool idea!

http://www.recordstoreday.com/

On Saturday, April 19, 2008, hundreds of independently owned music stores across the country will celebrate “Record Store Day.”

...read including comments from Joe Satriani, Steve Wilson (PORCUPINE TREE), Tomas Haake (MESHUGGAH), Brian Fair (SHADOWS FALL) and Mikko Siren (APOCALYPTICA) and more.

DREAM THEATER Drummer MIKE PORTNOY Comments On Record Store Day - "Let's Hear It For Independent Record Store Owners; Without Them, A Lot Of Us May Not Have Existed"
Read more here: http://www.bravewords.com/news/87585

+ Even Metallica has chosen to participate in this! http://www.recordstoreday.com/413.html

The last CD store that I felt really close to was Dr. Disc in Windsor, Ontario. It was from their metal section that allowed me to discover the second and third waves of European black metal back in 2000-2002. They always had a good used section as well, allowing someone the good fortune to walk in one day and buy the full Anathema back cataologue for $8 each, for example. :heh: I miss the excitement of going there!

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, go to youer nearest independent music store on Saturday, treat yourself to a new CD! Support your local record shop!

CD stores are very rare in Seoul, Korea these days but there are still a few tiny ones left. I'll be making a purchase on Saturday out here. Maybe I'll find something rare and cool! "Live in Japan!" etc...

Should you have words about a favourite CD store, please post them here! Also, please post if you've ever had the fortune to have worked in an indy CD store. Funny enough, I had worked at a corporate CD store for years (HMV), but during that time I still shopped at the indy stores on my own time. It's different.

Support!!!

DG - \w/

:kickass:

IMO, the premier indie record shop in the Detroit area is Record Time in Roseville. They have the largest dedicated used metal section anywhere in town as well as a nice sized new metal section. The largest new metal section in town is probably at Rock of Ages in Garden City, but I can't stand that place since everything is overpriced.

At Record Time I have found all sorts of stuff in the used bin: Windir, Woods of Ypres (dead serious), Moonsorrow, Emperor, old out of print thrash and just about everything in between. About half of my 600 CDs came from the used metal section there.

**Edit** Woot! This was my 69th post! :)

I usually go to either Sonic Boom in Toronto or Deja Vu Discs in the GTA. unfortunately 3 of Deja Vu's locations (out of 7) have closed in the past 6 months. I will go to the nearest one and pick somethin up on Saturday though.

You are Absolutely right about "Dr. Disc" Dave, I LOVE that store. I go there all the time. I have bought so many albums there. I will definitely be going there on Saturday to buy something.

I remember, we used to go to a records store call : Rock en Stock ( now closed ) on Crescent street in Montreal.
The metal section was in the basement... Meet the members of Obituary there in 1994 before their show at Le Spectrum ( closed too ! ).
Now i go to Freeson Rock or Profusion. But, i must admit i'm a little bit lazy...So i make most of my purchases on the net.
I should go more often ! Always great to search through all thoses racks of cd's for something new or some rarities...
Meet other "metalheads" and talk about music... (Surely better than a computer screen :) )

Phantomfreak - If you do go to Dr. Disc on Saturday, please tell Liam (store manager) that David from Woods says 'hello'! I bought many, many CDs from there while in University...and then I sold most of them back to him in order to pay the recording bill for "Woods: 2 - Pursuit of the Sun...". Ah, the cycle of metal CDs!

Dr. Disc in Windsor was the first and only store to sell the original 'demo' version of "Woods 1: Against the Seasons" as well as the first retail store to sell Woods t-shirts! Liam was always a good guy to Woods! That store would be my #1 choice of where to do an instore show in the future. Lots of history and meaning there! I wonder if they are carrying the new album...? I'd hope so!

:kickass:

When Woods III first came out, I went to Dr. Disc to see if it was there and it wasn't, I also tried ordering it but they said they couldn't. I haven't been there is about a month though, so I don't know if it's there now or not. Hell HMV JUST got the new album in about 2 weeks ago.

Last time I was in Dr. Disc there were 2 used copies of Pursuit of The Sun (most likely gone by now). Dr. Disc is also where I bought my Woods of Ypres T-shirt. Hopefully when the new shirts come out they will carry them.

I will definitely say hello for you Dave if I go.

Encore Records in downtown Kitchener, ON is badass.

There's one in Sudbury, ON that used to be decent, I think it's called Records On Wheels? Corner of Elm/Durham.

Frank's Music in Moncton, NB is really good but I don't get out to it much now that they moved to the "big box" part of town.

Now I mostly buy from theendrecords.com

Fuck buying from major retailers. I actually saw the new Bodom album at Wal-Mart yesterday?!

There's a great record store here where I live, they sell nothing but punk and metal, along with some other stuff occasionally, like Straight Outta Compton on vinyl. They've got a great selection all the time, every day, CDs, Vinyl, T-Shirts, posters, magazines, patches, stickers, DVDs, Bullet Belts, everything that you could need. I'm probably gonna try and head over there later today, see if they have record store day deals, and, if not, the other indie store around the corner will cause they were advertising about it. If any of you listen to any Grindcore you might know the band Foetopsy, they're based out of Milwaukee and own these two stores, one there and one here in Madison.

Couldn't swing it today...the only good 'mom and pop' store is an hour away (Manifest Records in Columbia, SC); the area I live in, while having 500,000 people, only has one mom/pop store and it's all R&B/Rap.

I even went to the corporate store in town that actually has a metal section, but no new Soilent Green, Dismember, or Kataklysm, and the newest Agnostic Front was $18. No thanks...

There's a great record store here where I live, they sell nothing but punk and metal, along with some other stuff occasionally, like Straight Outta Compton on vinyl. They've got a great selection all the time, every day, CDs, Vinyl, T-Shirts, posters, magazines, patches, stickers, DVDs, Bullet Belts, everything that you could need. I'm probably gonna try and head over there later today, see if they have record store day deals, and, if not, the other indie store around the corner will cause they were advertising about it. If any of you listen to any Grindcore you might know the band Foetopsy, they're based out of Milwaukee and own these two stores, one there and one here in Madison.

Well, I went there, and they didn't seem to have anything to do with Record Store Day. I still got $1.50 off the Ulver shirt I bought though, because I didn't have enough money with me and the guys who work there know me.

Wow, cool that they even had one!

They have everything at this store, its is, after all, a punk/metal specialty store. It's basically like paradise every time I walk in. They have awesome underground shit there all the time. It's pretty much the greatest thing in Wisconsin.