Saturn Drum Samples???

MKS

May 24, 2005
I plan to record samples of my new Mapex Saturn kit tomorrow.

1. First or all, would any of you even want the samples? I don't know if I should waste the time to chop these up and turn them into GOG files. Nor do I want money for the samples. I just want to get a feel for them in the studio.

2. What kind of samples would you want? I was thinking of posting samples of toms with and without o-ring mufflers. My kick has a EMAD evans head. I could post samples with and without the muffling ring.

I was thinking of keeping it simple.

Use Sennheiser MD421II on top and bottom of all toms
Use Shure SM57 on top and bottom of snare
Use Sennheiser E602 on the kick

These samples could turn out like shit but this kit sounds fucking awesome from my perspective.

Got any last minute advice, tips or requests? Just let me know.

Thanks

BTW - Here are some pics of the kit when I first got it setup.

drum1.jpg

drum2.jpg

drum3.jpg

Im sorry.. can't help you out with tips and stuff like that.. since i have zero experience with real kits except mixing em...

But put me down for the drum samples.. the more the better.. but it's up to you MKS.. whatever you feel like...

Good luck either way! that kit looks amazing!

I'd like to hear some samples, but I too really don't have many tips. I think having both muffled and un-muffled samples would be nice. My only request, a nice selection of different velocities, but let the sustain ring.

I'd definitely be interested - it's close to the kit my drummer uses, but he never changes his skins etc. so some decent samples of something similar would be useful.

No tips though, I'm rubbish with drums - with and without o-rings would be great, and keep everything dry! May sound dumb, but the last set I got off someone was swamped in reverb, compressed to hell, and eq'd to shit. They'd probably be okay if I was making Bon Jovi covers, but there's no way to change their sound at all.

As for requests - some side sticks/clicks on the rim (whatever you want to call them) would be nice, as would some proper ghost notes.

Thanks in advance man - Saturns sound great, so a decent set of samples would get a lot of use from me!

Steve

Hi MKS :)
Coincidence: My initials are KMS ;)

MKS said:
2. What kind of samples would you want? I was thinking of posting samples of toms with and without o-ring mufflers. My kick has a EMAD evans head. I could post samples with and without the muffling ring.

What i need is a good kick and snare.
Multiple velocities (5-7) and multiple samples (around 10) only at the two highest velocities (for eliminating the "machinegun" effect) and left/right hand samples would attract a lot of positive karma to you (from me at least).

TIA

EDIT: Checked the dates - your tomorrow = 19th :cry:
Am i too late with my reqs ?

http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3QH6JKL80KLBO0P3Y4JCXYYX9Z

Here's an MP3 of the snare. I haven't chopped it up yet. This is totally dry. Please let me know if it is worth chopping.

It starts:

soft to hard hits 1st round
hard hits
rim shots
side stick 1st round
side stick 2nd round
soft to hard hits 2 round

Recorded with SM57 Top, Sennheiser e604 Bottom, Rode K2 Tube Microphone as ambient.

I aligned the ambient with the top and bottom track.

Mix Ratio: 100& Top, 75% Bottom, 90% Ambient

Drum Dial Settings: 95 top : 90 bottom
14 x 5.5

Mutant said:
Hi MKS :)
Coincidence: My initials are KMS ;)

EDIT: Checked the dates - your tomorrow = 19th :cry:
Am i too late with my reqs ?

Actually, I have only recorded the snare and 16" mounted tom. I still need to cut a hole in the front kick head. I also have to resolve a couple of minor rattling issues with the toms.

I plan to fill my rack full of cotton this weekend to kill some of the crosstalk.

MKS said:
I plan to record samples of my new Mapex Saturn kit tomorrow.

1. First or all, would any of you even want the samples? I don't know if I should waste the time to chop these up and turn them into GOG files. Nor do I want money for the samples. I just want to get a feel for them in the studio.

I was thinking of keeping it simple.

Use Sennheiser MD421II on top and bottom of all toms
Use Shure SM57 on top and bottom of snare
Use Sennheiser E602 on the kick

These samples could turn out like shit but this kit sounds fucking awesome from my perspective.

Got any last minute advice, tips or requests? Just let me know.

Thanks

BTW - Here are some pics of the kit when I first got it setup.

drum1.jpg

drum2.jpg

drum3.jpg

Except for the different mounting rig I must say that your kit is really the same as my signature photo!
Well spotted!

:headbang:

MKS said:
Here are all the snare waves chopped and sorted:

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1EUIM9M611Q272UJZGZGDUXFI6

Hard Hits
Rim Shots
Soft to Hard Hit
Two Types of Sidestick hits

Gog files will come later this weekend. Chopping all those files took longer than I expected. Honestly, I have never created a gog file before. I assume it;s fairly easy. I guess I'll find out.

Thank You very much :headbang: :)

I just tried out these .gog files - they sound great. I eq'd it a bit to sound more like the original snare, and they went straight in with no compression or anything. Good stuff man, can't wait for the rest of the kit!

Steve

Very cool MKS!

Thanks for chopping them up, and taking time to make them sound good as well...

Cheers for the samples..

Ok guys. I'm lazy so here's some work for the brave:
EDIT
This is a snare I recorded one year ago. It's not chopped or processed or anything, just a dry mono track 44.1khz 32bit float plus the same snare through a stereo OH track. The OH track can be blended to taste, both files are quite aligned. So If someone find some use for it, that's great. It's not a great sounding recording but I think It's useable. The Snare drum is a DW craviotto 14".

I'm sorry for not posting tom and kick samples yet. I was forced to unexpectedly leave town for a few weeks.

Hopefully I will be able to post the rest of the sample by the third week of May.