Saturnus - Martyre

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Saturnus - Martyre
Euphonious Records - 2000
By discouraged1

After the significant Paradise Belongs To You debut (1997) and challengive mini CD(For The Loveless Lonely Nights, 1998), a new Saturnus opus is finally out. They elaborated Doom metal on the debut, so it was natural for Saturnus to develop in a more progressive way (the term, not the genre).

If they sounded close to My Dying Bride, the 3rd & the Mortal and Paradise Lost on their debut(but certainly made their own, unique doom sound), then Martyre is closer to Anathema - Eternity. It is still gothic/doom metal, but easier to get into, the songs aren't as long as they were before. There is also a new type of vocal, beside the usual bellow growlings (some of the finest EVER in metal) and lovelorn spoken words of the vocalist Thomas (he looks like Brad Pitt a bit), it reminds me of the type of vocal Flowing Tears & Withered Flowers used on their debut Swansongs back in 1996, some sort of strong tortured shout. It fits the songs very well.

All the songs on Martyre are precise and well played, the production is crystal clear (done by Flemming Rasmussen - Metallica's Master of Puppets & ...And Justice For All).

Most of the fans (including myself) agree Saturnus' debut is their best offering(because of its unrepeatableness of quality in both music & lyrics), but Martyre is still strong evidence of the band's obvious love and sense for Doom atmosphere.

"Softly on the Path You Fade" could be some sort of doom-hymn of all times, this song has to be heard by all Anathema -'The Silent Enigma' and My Dying Bride - 'For You' lovers. "Thou Art Free" is wholly acoustic and consists of beautiful piano part between the two tearful choruses.

The other 10 tracks are also masterpieces ("Lost my Way" could be radio hit, it reminds me of Amorphis a bit) and I could tell you about each & every one of the tracks in particular, but it won't have such effect unless you hear this bittersweet pearl by yourself. It will leave you enchanted and breatheless. To me, Martyre is Album of the Year 2000 right next to In the Woods...' 3 Times 7 on a Pilgrimage'. And not only In the Woods... split up, I've heard that Saturnus mastermind Kim Larsen leaved the band, he is 90% responsible for the writing process. So, without him, there will be no Saturnus... At least not the one we love(take one listen to his brilliant guitar work and you'll see what I'm babbling about).

But let's just respect Saturnus for what they've created and be grateful for what they've offered us so far. I personally don't care what will Saturnus do in the future - Martyre will always have place in my heart.

Inflame thy hearts too !