\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/
Nov 11, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Satyricon - The Age of Nero
Roadrunner Records - RR78932 - 3 November 2008
By Paddy Walsh

satyricon-the_age_of_nero.jpg

Although Satyricon are always a fairly reliable proposition, '06's Now, Diabolical may have taken the foot off the pedal just that bit too much. Efforts to consolidate the successful mid-paced stompathons of Volcano were understandable, but the mechanical coldness and blast-laden Rebel Extravaganza stands above both its successors (Nemesis Divina may well be their masterpiece, but for the purposes of this review it might be more helpful to reference their newer material).

The Age of Nero
addresses the balance more effectively than Now, Diabolical, as is evidenced when 'Commando' bursts forth with all the subtlety of a wrecking ball. A satisfyingly thunderous production job is immediately noticeable, courtesy of Joe Barresi (TOOL, Queens of the Stone Age), as Satyricon rumble in a decidedly panzer-like melee of blackness. 'The Wolfpack' works around the familiar mid-paced formula of the likes of 'K.I.N.G.', but a thoroughly ass-kicking central riff keeps it rolling in fine form. Meanwhile, the anthemic 'Black Crow on a Tombstone' will doubtless become a live favourite, and serves as a reminder that these Norwegians were once signed to a major lablel. 'Die by My Hand' braches out a little with tinges of Morbid Angel as the synthy refrain kicks in. The aforementioned tracks alone mark The Age of Nero as a solid addition to Satyricon's arsenal. 'My Skin is Cold', which originally appeared as an EP of the same name earlier in the year, works much better in the context of an album than as a standalone track where it couldn't quite carry itself, and Barresi's revamped production works to its favour.

The first half of The Age of Nero sees Satyricon firing on all cylinders, and it's thus disappointing that the remainders can't quite compete. 'The Sign of the Trident' tends to meander despite some pleasant electronic touches. 'Last Man Standing' is quite a grooving number, but compared to 'The Wolfpack' is noticeably less interesting. Closer 'Den Siste' fares better however, it's death metal introduction steamrolling into existence, even if it is about 2 minutes too long. Despite their flirtations with commercial success (the rollicking 'Fuel for Hatred', signing to Capitol, tours with Pantera etc), Satyricon have maintained an overt nastiness to their sound which sets them apart from the Dimmus and Cradles of this world. Satyr's rasp is still filled with a streak of misanthropic bile, and Frost remains the consummate drumming machine he always has been. Most importantly, the harsh, cold , mechanical atmosphere that has become their signature of late remains, and overall The Age of Nero is well worth a listen.

Official Satyricon Website
Official Satyricon MySpace
Official Roadrunner Records Website

Good review. I just bought this album the other day and from what I heard its pretty good with a couple bad songs but its worth it.

No, it's not worth it unless you like songs made with 2 simple riffs that we've heard millions times before.

I don't understand how Satyr is allowed to play the guitar and sing? He would make a good tambourine player, but that's it! This album is SO SIMPLE! Absolutely ZERO technicality from the guitar/singing side! Frost's drumming is sub par of course, but he really has no material to work with! I am counting down the days til Frost finally leaves this mess of a "band" and truly gets to play drums to some challenging and technical songs!

To be blunt, if you like metal that showcases pure talent and great songwriting, this album isn't for you

the simplicity is the point. if youve read any interview with satyr, he openly admits to selling out, though he says it in such a way that everyone is fooled into thinking he's still that same guy he was in the early 90's. hell, even his first three highly praised albums are barely average. the dude needs to go away.

I don't understand how Satyr is allowed to play the guitar and sing? He would make a good tambourine player, but that's it! This album is SO SIMPLE! Absolutely ZERO technicality from the guitar/singing side! Frost's drumming is sub par of course, but he really has no material to work with! I am counting down the days til Frost finally leaves this mess of a "band" and truly gets to play drums to some challenging and technical songs!

To be blunt, if you like metal that showcases pure talent and great songwriting, this album isn't for you
Some of the greatest black metal albums of all time were far less technical than Satyricon's latest. You're kind of missing the point of the band. The mid-paced thing they've been doing this last while might not be to your taste, but i've found most of their albums to be at least reasonably engaging songwriting-wise. They're hardly as kvlt as, say, Deathspell Omega or anything, but they don't claim to be either.