Savatage News?

savabich2

Aug 9, 2005
Hello-

I am looking high and low for any info on a possible Savatage reunion for their upcoming anniversary.

The only thing I am coming up with so far is an Oliva tour in the States this fall but nothing solid on a new 'tage CD.

Any word?

Well, Jon said some time ago that a there will be a new Savatage disc in 2006/2007. At the moment he seems to be concentrated on his solo stuff and the other guys can't really do squat because, well, Jon Oliva pretty much is Savatage in the end. I've read Caffery and Jiniya state their confusion over the whole mess as well.

That's my interpretation of what's going on. Well, both Oliva's and Caffery's solo projects are pretty good so it'll ease the wait a little bit. I just hope there'l be at least one more Sava disc, because they're just too good to fade away into obscurity like this.

I remember reading an interview with Jon Oliva in which he said that he'd love to do a Savatage anniversary album (and tour?), but that everybody, especially Paul O'Neill, is too busy keeping the Trans Siberian Orchestra running. If I remember correctly, Jon also said that he won't do a Savatage album without Paul O'Neill, and therefore he's forced to wait until Paul has the time and will to work on Savatage.
The way I see it, this will not happen in a long time. Why should Paul O'Neill (and the others involved) waste their time, effort and money on a non profitable project, while they can make a shitload of money with TSO...
Although I, as a Savatage fan, am sad about Savatage fading into obscurity, I can fully understand that they are more eager to keep the cash cow alive (who wouldn't?) after so many years of fruitless struggeling.
I am glad and looking forward to have new albums coming from Jon Oliva's Pain, CircleIICircle, Chris Caffery and the TSO. That's much better than nothing at all.

Mr Blackwell said:
I remember reading an interview with Jon Oliva in which he said that he'd love to do a Savatage anniversary album (and tour?), but that everybody, especially Paul O'Neill, is too busy keeping the Trans Siberian Orchestra running. If I remember correctly, Jon also said that he won't do a Savatage album without Paul O'Neill, and therefore he's forced to wait until Paul has the time and will to work on Savatage.
The way I see it, this will not happen in a long time. Why should Paul O'Neill (and the others involved) waste their time, effort and money on a non profitable project, while they can make a shitload of money with TSO...
Although I, as a Savatage fan, am sad about Savatage fading into obscurity, I can fully understand that they are more eager to keep the cash cow alive (who wouldn't?) after so many years of fruitless struggeling.
I am glad and looking forward to have new albums coming from Jon Oliva's Pain, CircleIICircle, Chris Caffery and the TSO. That's much better than nothing at all.

As far as I'm concerned that's like being married and refusing to grant your partner a divorce while you are out with your new girlfriend. Really disapointing, I love TSO and all but if that's the real reson behing 'tage not recording anything new, they should get a different producer or something.

savabich2 said:
As far as I'm concerned that's like being married and refusing to grant your partner a divorce while you are out with your new girlfriend. Really disapointing, I love TSO and all but if that's the real reson behing 'tage not recording anything new, they should get a different producer or something.

I believe the reason Savatage can't get another producer is because Paul O'Neill now owns the Savatage name (or at least a portion of it). Remember at ProgPower when Savatage had to appear under the name "Weapons of Mass Destruction"? I remember reading somewhere that the reason they couldn't use Savatage was because Paul didn't want them to use the name for that show since Dr. Killdrums and Zak were going to be appearing. How true that is I don't know...

savabich2 said:
How does a freakin' producer get ownership of a band's NAME?!

Well, I don't know, but it seems to be true. Paul O'Neill is one of the owners of Savatage and without his permission nothing can be done. Obviously he doesn't want any connection between the TSO and Savatage be known to the public. I read that every Savatage connection has been removed from the TSO website (I don't know if that's correct, haven't checked the site myself).

I didn't know O'Neill owns (or partly owns) the Savatage name. Interesting.

I've bought all 3 of the newest Savatage "spin off" albums (Caffery, Oliva's Pain, CIIC). All three are good, but not great, albums, with probably Jon's album being my favorite. I think if they were to have combined all of their efforts (heck, Caffery and Oliva wrote all the CIIC songs as it is), they could have made a Savatage album for the ages. Matt Laporte, who played guitar on the first CIIC album and the Jon Oliva album would fit it very nicely with Savatage as well.