SAVE DEEP ELLUM MAN!!!

buzzardbutt

I am...Madcheese!
Jan 31, 2007
dallas tx
I just saw this on myspace.

The city wants to rid of ALL club owners, dance halls, and tattoo parlors in Deep Ellum NOW! Read about "Specific Use Permit" below. D.E.E.P. Meets tonight, everyone! We encourage business owners in Deep Ellum, Expo Park, and the surrounding areas, as well as concerned citizens and friends of the community to attend this meeting. We will be going over our successful Art Gallery Walk, as well as discussing the looming SUP problem....

Meeting will be at Mamma Mia's Pizza
2935 Elm St
Dallas, TX 75226(214) 744-6262

Everyone came to Deep Ellum to have a good time regardless of what you looked like, what music you were into, how old you were, ect. And then, things began to change. Venues, restaurants, and clubs began to shut down one by one. The rumors began of Deep Ellum dying a slow death, yet no one could pinpoint the exact reason. There is one immediate threat, though, happening right here, right now, under all our noses. What is it? Three words: Specific Use Permit.

What is it? Essentially, it is a zoning permit given by the City of Dallas (and initiated by the Deep Ellum Foundation headed by Barry Annino) for club owners, dance halls, and tattoo parlors, to continue remaining in business. And that whole “grandfather clause” that was supposed to protect the existing businesses? Yeah….news flash: It’s gone…and the club owners were NOT told. Old, as well as new businesses have to jump through all kinds of hoops just to acquire the information that the City is asking for to even be considered for SUP approval. Among them are traffic impact studies or waivers, 10 copies of the site plans (folded a certain way), reviews by architects and engineers (which cost a fortune to hire), and even zoning location maps that require you to identify the type of tree(s) you have on the property! And if you are one of the businesses that does not turn in your application by December 19th, you face closure as well as heavy fines. Expo Park and Downtown are supposedly part of this as well.

This is a crucial time…action is required, and as soon as possible. Business owners, if you need a copy of the application, (remember, this is for bars, clubs, and tattoo parlors), there is a copy. This kind of crap, folks, is what kept Trees from re-opening, and what might keep some of our existing businesses from operating unless something is done.

Please, if you know the owners of any of the businesses you think might be in question, CONTACT THEM. Let them know what is going on, in case they don’t already know.Comments? Concerns? Call David Cossum at the Zoning Ordinance Advisory Commitee... (214) 670-4216. We need to get out there and actually DO something...or this could be the future of Deep Ellum...Thank you!

Wow, I didn't know things were so grave in Deep Ellum! That's a gigantic bummer! Most of my memories since moving to Texas have been in Deep Ellum! I guess I stopped going when Club Clearview closed, then both Galaxy and Gypsy right afterwards, and now Curtain Club only hosts local shows. Reno's is cool but they're still a bar first, venue second. I know the owners of two tattoo parlors on Main - Tiggers and Taboo - I wonder if they know about this. Thanks for posting it! Keep us updated!

I will, I'm actually about to start looking into it myself, I know some dudes in local bands that play deep ellum all the time and I'm not sure they know just yet, I'm trying to spread the word as fast as I can and get all the support possible, If there is no Deep Ellum there is no fun.:cry:
Try to spread the word, I believe if we can save Deep Ellum there will be better venues in the future.
Especially cause I plan on opening up my own club too.:kickass::headbang:

I will, I'm actually about to start looking into it myself, I know some dudes in local bands that play deep ellum all the time and I'm not sure they know just yet, I'm trying to spread the word as fast as I can and get all the support possible, If there is no Deep Ellum there is no fun.:cry:
Try to spread the word, I believe if we can save Deep Ellum there will be better venues in the future.
Especially cause I plan on opening up my own club too.:kickass::headbang:

I know several of the local bands too, I'll post this around and help generate some interest. Yes I agree, if there is no Deep Ellum there is no fun! And no reason to stay in Dallas.

What building are you opening your club in? Got a name yet? Need a booking manager? :D

So far I've got about five people including myself, that want to open this up, but we gotta figure out the money part, one of my friends has some connections and the knowledge, me I've only got the ideas of what we should be, and I'm part of the house band.
As for a name we havent thought about that just yet.
But if you're interested man we can try to figure this all out and start on it.
I'll get with my friends and start planning.
Look me up on myspace and we'll talk about it all.