Saw Lamb of God this weekend, got a cool surprise

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
So, I went to see Lamb of God in San Jose this weekend. Also on the bill were Municipal Waste, As I Lay Dying, Children of Bodom, and some other band, can't remember.

First off, Lamb of God was awesome. Won't say much more than that. The mix was good, if not a bit loud on LOG (but less loud on all other bands).
Municipal Waste was fantastic. I don't really know these guys, but I now I'm a fan. Not sure I'll go out and buy all their stuff, but they were absolutely old-school thrash, very, very tight, and with a sense of humor. Just punishing live.

Children of Bodom, meh.

The biggest surprise of the night though, the one I eluded to, was that one band dropped off (who I don't know anything about...) and SUICIDAL TENDENCIES replaced them. Suicidal was absolutely fantastic. I've never seen them, but have been a fan (on and off) since that first, classic album. I bought a few of the newer, major label records over the years, which were great, and really I just have a lot of respect for that band. Anyway, Mike Muir, who is now 45 years of age, runs around like he's 16. The band was very tight, and sounded just great. There was an element of all the ST projects represented, ala a funky bassist like Infectious Grooves, a 300 pound, African American drummer who KICKED ASS, and two phenomenal guitar players. I will absolutely be buying the new ST record. Great, great show on their part. They did a good mix of a setlist:

You Can't Bring Me Down
Possessed To Skate
Subliminal
War Inside My Head
Cyco Vision
Lost Again
Come Alive
Send Me Your Money
Pledge Your Allegiance

LOG setlist was as follows:

The Passing
In Your Words
Set To Fail
Walk With Me In Hell
Hourglass
Now You've Got Something To Die For
Ruin
Dead Seeds
Blacken The Cursed Sun
Grace
Broken Hands
Laid to Rest
Contractor
Reclamation
Redneck
Black Label

A great show all around.

Went to the same concert in Phoenix. As I Lay Dying is the one ST replaced and thats a shame. Would have 10x rather heard AILD.
LoG and Bodom were awesome, God Forbid is the 5th band and they would have been better if they weren't doing stuff off their new album, but MW and ST were beyond boring.

LOG's new album is tight...

Bodom stink now...Last good album was in 2002...Why were they meh? There always good live when I see them...Are you not a fan at all?

yeah, I'm not really a fan. I just don't care for the way they use keyboards. I don't mind keyboard, just their use of 'em. That guitar player is something else though...really good. Overall, just not my thing...too much melodic in their melodic death metal for me.

Children Of Bodom is very meh-tal....

Love LOG man they are a great modern band that has enough old school thrash and progressive infleunce in them statisfy.

Hello, long time no talk :).

Yeah, Lamb of God are despised often by underground metal fans but I think their 2nd, 3rd and 4th albums (New American Gospel, As The Palaces Burn, and Ashes of the Awake) are good albums. I think some of their later songs after those albums sadly suck though.

I find Children of Bodom to be stupid and the same goes with Municipal Waste or As I Lay Dying.

Hello, long time no talk :).

Yeah, Lamb of God are despised often by underground metal fans but I think their 2nd, 3rd and 4th albums (New American Gospel, As The Palaces Burn, and Ashes of the Awake) are good albums. I think some of their later songs after those albums sadly suck though.

I find Children of Bodom to be stupid and the same goes with Municipal Waste or As I Lay Dying.

I love LOG, but I agree that the other bands are weak. I can't stand Municipal Waste to me they are a watered down version of M.O.D. or S.O.D. I don't get them, hopefully the novelty wears out....

Yes, Municipal Waste are pretty much half assed neo thrash.

It is kind of surprising that Lamb of God blew up in popularity. I knew the band since 2001 or so but I never expected that they got so popular after "As the Palaces Burn". They did start sounding more accessible after that album in comparison to how harsh "New American Gospel" is.

yeah, I'm not really a fan. I just don't care for the way they use keyboards. I don't mind keyboard, just their use of 'em. That guitar player is something else though...really good. Overall, just not my thing...too much melodic in their melodic death metal for me.

Yeah I was gonna say the same thing as well. I think they are pretty heavy. Cool melodies a plus and great guitar playing.

Though before it sounds like I'm getting a huge boner for COB, there are better bands out there. :lol:

But I like 'em...

Bodom are good live, LoG I can do without. Maybe you guys dont listen to MUNICIPAL WASTE enough because I love those guys, of course I know all their songs and jam them pretty much weekly. I saw Suicidal T. couple years back with MW and ST bored the shit outta me, MW was the only reason I went.

I saw Suffocation last week in little rock and felt terrible for them, they are tight as hell but their whole crowd left after white chapel played. THey literally played to 50 people. If that.