Saxon concert in france review

Oyé

New Metal Member
Jul 8, 2003
yesterday i was in Lyon to see SAXON in concert ! It was so good ! I saw also Doro, it was amazing but i was here for SAXON.
The setlist was (not in order): heavy metal thunder, princess of the night, Cut out the desease, Crusader, stallions of the highway, rock the nations, motorcycle man, and the bands played on, 747, broken heroes, solid ball of rock, iron wheels, wheels of steel, are we travellers in time, dragon's lair, in the count of the crimson king, the eagle has landed...it was so good ! what a brillant sound ! Thank you saxon ! PAUL QUINN is the greatest guitarist in the WORLD !

I was there as well and they rocked the house, indeed!
Biff said it was the first time they played "Broken Heroes" on this tour (because of a fan screaming the name of the song ;) , is it true?
"Iron Wheels" was dedicated to his father.

Here is the set list, not in perfect order though :

Heavy Metal Thunder
Princess of the Night
Rock the Nations
The Eagle Has Landed
Stallions of the Highway
Broken Heroes
Cut Out the Disease
And the Bands Played On
Court of the Crimson King (KING CRIMSON)
Conquistador / drum solo
Dragon's Lair
Are We Travellers in Time
Motorcycle Man
Crusader
Strong Arm of the Law
-------------------------------------------
Power and the Glory
747 Strangers in the Night
-------------------------------------------
Solid Ball of Rock
Iron Wheels
guitar solo / Wheels of Steel
Denim and Leather

Thank you for the setlist....

Well, apart from Stallions and Rock the Nations no real newentries to the setlist here (comnpared to the songs played on the last three tours) ...Hey Biff, is that all ? You said something like "5 or 6 new songs in the set"...

Good to see "Travellers in time" back on track..

Damn...the part with Court of the Crimson King (KING CRIMSON)
and Conquistador / drum solo will be the definitive low point in the set imho...Some boring 18 - 20 minutes, good time to go for a quick beer or the toilet !

Looking forward to Tuttlingen!!

Karsten

Yeah agree with you Karsten. Only 2 new songs really (Stallions and Rock the Nations). What happened to the 5 or 6 Biff mentioned?

I can't believe Saxon are still playing Court of the Crimson King. That has been on the last 2 tours and could do with being dropped because it definitely is a low point.

Anyone who knows me knows what I think about drum and guitar solo's!

Well I like a lot "Court...", and hadn't heard Iron Wheels live yet, so I was very pleased with this set list.
Maybe I would have prefered something instead "Conquistador"...
As for solo's I'm not a big fan either, but I understand that the other guys need to take a break during the concert, they're getting old ;)

I have never seen them play Stallions before I bet it rocks live.As for drum solos like pax i AM a big fan in fact pax has said beforethat he thinks they should open the set with a 15 min drum solo and then one in the middle because he is so old.:p