Saxon set list thread

Nov 27, 2005
Reading, UK
Here we can gather setlists, compare diff shows etc but must importantly give our opinions.

Amsterdam:

01. State Of Grace
02. Let Me Feel Your Power
03. If I Was You
04. Killing Ground
05. Witchfinder General
06. The Great White Buffalo
07. (Requiem) We Will Remember
08. Power And The Glory
09. Are We Travellers In Time
10. Forever Free
11. Red Star Falling
12. To Hell And Back Again
13. I've Got To Rock (To Stay Alive)
14. Atilla The Hun
15. Dallas 1PM
16. 747 (Strangers In The Night)
17. And The Bands Played On
18. Princess Of The Night
19. Wheels of Steel
20. Denim And Leather
21. Ashes To Ashes

Very good, apart from no crusader or lionheart

Finally no Crusader, no Solid and a few other classics.
They're right, dont must to play all classics every night, that would be really boring and its a tour of a new album.
You heard Crusader 1000 times and you will hear it 1000 times yet, but Great white Buffalo or Ashes to ashes etc. not. Enjoy now that.
Be happy: our favorite band plays 8 - 9 songs from the new album and they are not a Motorhead or ACDC or WASP (same setlist on every tour, almost nothing from the actual album)

I'm not one of those who only listen to the first 4-5 albums, I love every album and the last two are just awesome. I'm all for playing new songs, I'm certainly all for varying the setlist but for me there are six essential classics - Crusader, Denim & Leather, 747, Wheels of steel, Princess of the night and Power and the glory - without them a concert just wouldn't feel right. That's the thing with the greatest band of all time - "too many" great songs - they just have to play longer sets.
And Crusader is just the greatest song of all. I hope to see them three times at least on this tour and I wanna hear Crusader three times - at least....

Here's a partial setlist - we left before the end of the gig - didn't get home 'til 1.00 in the morning as it was...

State of Grace
Let Me Feel Your Power
If I Was You
Killing Ground
Witchfinder General
Great White Buffalo
Requiem
Power and the Glory
Travellers in Time
Forever Free
Red Star Falling
Strong Arm of the Law
To Hell and Back Again
I've Got To Rock

---
Encores:
Attila the Hun
Medley: Dallas 1pm / 747 Strangers in the Night / And the bands played on
Crusader
Princess of the Night
Wheels of Steel

Hi,
Sad you had to leave before the end, I think the next song was "Denim" +/- " Ashes". I'm happy to see "Crusader" back. I'd like to hear a song from "Unleash the beast" like "Thin red line" or "Preacher"; and also "Lionheart" once again ( I know, they have played this song a lot last year, but it's one of my favorite )

Finally no Crusader, no Solid and a few other classics.
They're right, dont must to play all classics every night, that would be really boring and its a tour of a new album.
You heard Crusader 1000 times and you will hear it 1000 times yet, but Great white Buffalo or Ashes to ashes etc. not. Enjoy now that.
Be happy: our favorite band plays 8 - 9 songs from the new album and they are not a Motorhead or ACDC or WASP (same setlist on every tour, almost nothing from the actual album)

Totally agree.

I would like to see Lionheart played though, it is a new 'classic'!

Here we can gather setlists, compare diff shows etc but must importantly give our opinions.

Amsterdam:

01. State Of Grace
02. Let Me Feel Your Power
03. If I Was You
04. Killing Ground
05. Witchfinder General
06. The Great White Buffalo
07. (Requiem) We Will Remember
08. Power And The Glory
09. Are We Travellers In Time
10. Forever Free
11. Red Star Falling
12. To Hell And Back Again
13. I've Got To Rock (To Stay Alive)
14. Atilla The Hun
15. Dallas 1PM
16. 747 (Strangers In The Night)
17. And The Bands Played On
18. Princess Of The Night
19. Wheels of Steel
20. Denim And Leather
21. Ashes To Ashes

Very good, apart from no crusader or lionheart

I think the setlist is very good too but yeah, I don't think it would be complete w/o Crusader:headbang:

I really wish they'd play FROZEN RAINBOW :worship: but in the end, seeing them is all that counts and I wish they'd make it back to the states sometime soon.

I think the setlist is very good too but yeah, I don't think it would be complete w/o Crusader:headbang:

Totally agree.

I saw the show in Oberhausen and it was great. They played "Crusader" and I wished they had played "Need For Speed", "Motorcycle Man", "Heavy Metal Thunder" and something like "The Thin Red Line" or other stuff from "Unleash The Beast". But it was cool that "To Hell And Back Again" was on the set list. I will see them in 2 months in Osnabrück, hopefully with one of the above mentioned songs :cool: Keep on :headbang:

A good and varied set list and nice to see a few songs which ain't been aired for a while. The one song I'll miss is Dogs of War, which for me is probably one of Saxons very best.

Another I'd like added would be The thin red Line!

From all the classic bands, Saxon are the best chosing set lists and offering something diferent to the fans.
In my opinion, every Saxon headlining tour is a party, a celebration. Between 2 hours and 2:40 in which they include many surprises.

About the new set list:

1. Playing the whole new album but one song. That´s OK. They don´t live in the past, they defend their new product.
2. Some variations on the set lists: The Great white buffalo, Requiem, Dallas 1 P.M, TRavellers in time,... Amazing.
3. "Must play": I only miss "Crusader" but in Spain they´ll play it for sure. People ask "Crusader" from the first minute.
4. They have opted for not including any songs from the 80´s that they played on "Lionheart" tour (at least here in Madrid). I´m taking about "Rock the nations", "This town rocks", mighty "Broken heroes", superb cover from "Ride like the wind"...

A pity but you can´t always get what you want.
I´d like to hear "Suzi hold on", "R N R gypsies" or "Warrior" that I´ve never seen live but I guess in the future it´ll will happen.

They played Crusader in Berlin, (set list to follow by Goss hopefully) I have to say the setlist works. As any band who have had the longevity of Saxon a new tour to support a new album is gonna throw up some difficult decisions. You can't please everyone all of the time.

Could anyone answer this question.

When i saw maiden, the difference between when the new album was played and the old hits was enormous.

Has it been the same with saxon, or have the new songs gone down on par with the classics, or is it really a shame theyre not playing eg 20000ft?

Could anyone answer this question.

When i saw maiden, the difference between when the new album was played and the old hits was enormous.

Has it been the same with saxon, or have the new songs gone down on par with the classics, or is it really a shame theyre not playing eg 20000ft?

The show flows just fine, the new blend into the old and vice versa :kickass:

Just returned from three awesome Saxon gigs in Hamburg, Berlin and Leipzig !!!! Each gig was a sell out - and the German fans are always so enthusiastic and there were a sea of hands from the front to the very back (in England it is usually just the first 5 rows !). Outstanding performance as usual from the best rock band in the business !! It was a real pleasure to meet up with Saxonator, Northern Lady, Saxonfan (all the way from Chicago!), Fingers and his mate Huw (perhaps to be called “Huxley” after the Berlin venue ?!). The words from Requiem were very apt: “From London to Chicago, from the mountains to the sea ….”

We were privileged to be invited by Biff to the filming of the new Saxon DVD and soundcheck in Berlin which was a very special experience, and had the very rare opportunity of a photograph with the whole band at once.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/Gosso/Saxon - Germany - March 2007/0016--IMG_0556.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/Gosso/Saxon - Germany - March 2007/0015--IMG_0555.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/Gosso/Saxon - Germany - March 2007/0012--IMG_0552.jpg

Here are set lists (in order)

Hamburg

State of Grace
Let Me Feel Your Power
Killing Ground
If I was You
Witchfinder General
Great White Buffalo
Strong Arm of the Law
Red Star Falling
Requiem (We will Remember)
Power and the Glory
Are We Travellers in Time
Forever Free
Crusader (“straight into the charts in Dubai”)
To Hell and Back Again
I’ve got to Rock to Stay Alive
Dallas 1pm
747 (Strangers in the Night)
And the Bands Played On
Attila the Hun
Princess of the Night
Wheels of Steel
Denim and Leather
Ashes to Ashes

Berlin

State of Grace