Scale The Summit & Animals As Leaders: Instrumental prog-metal you might have missed

Prosthetic Records

New Metal Member
Apr 21, 2009
Hi ProgPower'ers,

Chances are that some of you are familiar with us, but that you don't have many of our albums in your libraries. That's OK -- different strokes for different folks. However, this year we've released two instrumental progressive bands that we think are right up your alleys, so in case they haven't made it onto your radars yet, we wanted to change that.

First is SCALE THE SUMMIT (www.myspace.com/scalethesummit), a quartet from Houston that's currently touring with Protest The Hero. They're super-melodic and tasteful yet still technical and challenging, and if you dig Petrucci's playing, you'll find plenty to like here. Their new album is called "Carving Desert Canyons," if that's any help.

Then there's the self-titled debut from ANIMALS AS LEADERS (www.myspace.com/animalsasleaders), the new band of 7- and 8-string guitarist Tosin Abasi (ex-Reflux). Although they're also prog and instrumental, AAL is more experimental and ambient than STS, yet there's still plenty of virtuosic guitar playing to go 'round. Band hopes to be on the road soon.

I don't mean to violate any board rules by posting links to our webshop, as you all surely have preferred retailers -- but in case you can't find the above in stock anywhere else, please feel free to visit store.prostheticrecords.com, where you might also find something else you'll like (our new Testament etched/colored vinyl reissues, the new Kylesa CD, a Gojira shirt, etc.).

Sorry to clog up your board, but we just wanna make sure everyone gets the memo about these two amazing bands. Hopefully some of you will like 'em as much as we do.

Over and out,
Prosthetic

Perhaps this isn't the spot for it, but I always love to support small labels / local stores. I really like the Animals As Leaders. As funny as it sounds, I saw their add on facebook! I've discovered two unknown bands through facebook. (Its amazing what technology can do these days. I unclicked "single" and now I don't get all those singe adds:lol:).

StS are excellent.....very reminiscent of older (i.e., the first CD) Cynic, without the vox.
Sadly, I missed StS' unofficial performance at Texas MadFest (they played before the actual fest started as a venue-added local opener), but picked up their stuff after everyone was raving about them afterward. I've played them on WREKage and on my Internet radio show since.

I didn't know they were touring with PtH...I don't remember seeing them listed for that date here.