Schubert fuckin rules

Apr 16, 2004
Any comments on non Mozart, Bach, or Beethoven Classical, Baroque, Romantic, or post Romantic music.

I'm not saying the 'big three' are bad it just gets tired.

Personally I'm more of a Romantic and post-Romantic kinda guy (although I studied classical for WAY too long)

Some of my favorite composers are Rachmaninof, Rimsky-Korsakov, Chopin, Schubert, Dvorak, Berlioz, Mahler, Stravinsky, and Danny Elfman

Generally, I find that this kind of concert music has been the most positively influential to metal, it helped steer metal toward a more progressive and dramatic direction.

I quite dislike Classical and Baroque, especially in metal where it usually puts on a dress and sounds generally ... err... festive :Smug:
(i.e. power metal cheese)

baroque is kind of pussy (though good melodies)

classical only had mozart (hayden sucks, as did bach's kids)

romantic... oh god romantic music kicks my ass... dvorak, tchaicovsky, liszt... fucking metal... haha :headbang:

you sir are a jackass

had it not been for bach, bass players would probably still be playing shitty root notes and what not

goddamnit that comment got me too frustrated to even think clearly

nobody said anything bad about bach, i said his kids sucked. just cause the music he made was floo-floo doesn't mean it sucked.

the alumnus said:
only mozart? what about beethoven?

Beethoven basically bagan the Romantic era of music with his 3rd Symphony. He had decided to do something different and break with the formulaic drivel of classical (no offense folks, but fuck did I hate being told that "it is improper to move an adjacent vocal harmony in parallel octaves" by my freakin' teachers :yell: ).
Even Ludwig realized Haydn was a fruit! :Spin:

yeah, thanks for pointing out beethoven.. he was really strattled over classical and romantic... I'm not sure when he wrote some.. like Ode to Joy is obviously romantic, being his last great symphony.. his 5th and moonlight sonata are darker sounding.. making them more romantic... but you are right.. I did forget beethoven.. it just pisses me off that all "classical" music is called that... classical music.. when the era the reference was in fact the least active era.

Does anybody know any good Montoverdi songs to check out? I know he was a rennasiance composer and early baroque... Did he write madrigals? madrigals rule..

Wound said:
it just pisses me off that all "classical" music is called that... classical music.. when the era the reference was in fact the least active era. ..

Seriously, that IS quite infuriating. I always have to be careful claiming that I play Romantic Metal because people interpret it as meaning cheesy love-metal or something :Smug: (until they hear it of course :D ), when it's really the most dramatically, melodically heavy music I know :headbang:

yeah, actually "classical metal" is almost non-existant.. power metal leans more towards teh baroque with the harpsichord and more 'tonal' music... where as romantic is just off-beat and really has lots of modulation and accents... romantic kicks my dick.

Feanor IV said:
Top: Liszt, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, Bach, Tschaicovsky, Smetana........... ART!!! :)

Gia sou file! :kickass:

Wound
yeah, actually "classical metal" is almost non-existant.. power metal leans more towards teh baroque with the harpsichord and more 'tonal' music... where as romantic is just off-beat and really has lots of modulation and accents... romantic kicks my dick.
June 20th, 2004 11:38 PM

Hahahaha, that last line is gold! :loco:
True about the baroque thing, I really don't get why all these power metal bands are so insistent on continuing that "tradition". The harpsichord, generally, is one of the ugliest sounding instrument in the history of concert music (with some exceptions of course).
Damn that Malmsteen and his single-handed, fat-assed, donut-devouring attempts at popularizing neo-baroque shredded cheese :devil:

We need more bands like Winds, now they know how to do Romantic Metal!