Prog/Power/Heavy Metal Leads To...

PurpleCrayonWriter

Just a Kid at Heart
It's no secret that a lot of bands -- especially in the prog-rock and prog-metal genres -- mix Classical music with their metal.

Look at Yngwie. The man is a walking Bach fugue.

And TSO. They seamlessly combine Mozart and Beethoven with their wall of sound and flamboyant stage shows.

And Symphony X.

And, back in the day, ELP.

And a zillion bands both here in the States and abroad.

What I'd like to know is if anyone's interest in PPUSA-style bands (and corollary genres) has lead them back to Classical music -- either to just listen and enjoy, or to take up an instrument and learn to play it.

Did something Ynwgie do make you want to explore the music of J.S. Bach? Did TSO cause you to seek out Mozart and/or Beethoven compositions?

Classical music (eventually) progressed into prog rock/metal. Does it go the other way and fans of prog rock/metal (eventually) become interested in Classical music? If so, what has it lead you to discover?

In other words, have you been diggin' a little Mozart on the side? :kickass:

Yes. Through Yngwie I became increasingly interested in the technical gurus of classical music.

Yes. Through Yngwie I became increasingly interested in the technical gurus of classical music.

I gained a lot of appreciation for classical music from Zappa's classical releases, also checked out Paganini because of people like Yngwie & Paul Gilbert mentioning him in interviews. Nice to know that people were SCARED of him because he was so good!

I personally cannot stomach any more Baroque classical music. It's everywhere here...if it's not Vivaldi, it's not worth playing according to many people here. Yngwie influenced me to do the exact opposite of what he does.

And people weren't afraid of Paganinni because of his musical ability...they were afraid of him because he had giantism.

I listened to classical music before I got into metal, but it was certainly helped (and re-intensified my interest) by my hearing things like Symphony X borrowing a Bach violin sonata quote in A Fool's Paradise, for example.

I have listened to classical music since i was a wee tike, and then to hear it used in metal just made my day.

I've always listened to classical music (my parents insisted on bringing me up with culture). While I've appreciated it, I now give it more respect than I have before. There are so many classical music elements in progressive metal that you can definitely tell that a lot of prog metal musicians are classically trained.

How did I miss THAT? ;) I would never argue with an Italian about Paganini....
Thanks for the info! :kickass:

Haha, I'm actually American, I just live here. It helps that my wife is Italian and a violinist as well, so she teaches me something new every day :loco:.

Yes, he had giantism and that has sparked much debate about whether his pieces should be played as they are played (like Yngwie plays them). His hands were HUUUUUGE...think Andre' the Giant huge. On all his Caprici, he jumped from first position to fifth position very quickly, which is EXTREMELY difficult for any "normal" violinist, almost impossible. It takes literally about a decade of study to do it well. It's not the structure that's difficult, however. To put it into guitar terms, imagine stretching from the first or second fret to the 10th or 12th to make a chord. People will small hands just can't do it. It's not a question of ability but rather a question of physiology.

Another thing that has been brought up is the question of the tempo of his work. Historically, the original composers didn't write music to be played as fast as some play them now, so how the 24th Caprice was originally meant to be played is somewhat of a mystery. Although I'm not a fan of Yngwie, his classical renditions are phenomenal and mind-blowing.

While Vivaldi didn't compose La Folia (it's actually an old Portugese piece), his arrangement I think is the most beautiful and powerful classical piece ever put to paper. It's really the only piece from Vivaldi that I truly like. Some prefer Corelli's version but I love Vivaldi's the most, ironically. Also, notice how in the following vid they add subtle nuances and emotion to the piece. This is typical of many Russian and eastern European orchestras/projects. Italian orchestras play it perfectly to the note, but it's so cold and unfeeling and with no emotion whatsoever. You may as well put a cd on and stay at home. This is the mindset of Italian conservatories and it really is a shame. People leave conservatory able to play the 24th Caprice but that's it. It's quite sad. Enjoy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, I'm actually American, I just live here. It helps that my wife is Italian and a violinist as well, so she teaches me something new every day :loco:.

Yes, he had giantism and that has sparked much debate about whether his pieces should be played as they are played (like Yngwie plays them). His hands were HUUUUUGE...think Andre' the Giant huge. On all his Caprici, he jumped from first position to fifth position very quickly, which is EXTREMELY difficult for any "normal" violinist, almost impossible. It takes literally about a decade of study to do it well. It's not the structure that's difficult, however. To put it into guitar terms, imagine stretching from the first or second fret to the 10th or 12th to make a chord. People will small hands just can't do it. It's not a question of ability but rather a question of physiology.

Another thing that has been brought up is the question of the tempo of his work. Historically, the original composers didn't write music to be played as fast as some play them now, so how the 24th Caprice was originally meant to be played is somewhat of a mystery. Although I'm not a fan of Yngwie, his classical renditions are phenomenal and mind-blowing.

While Vivaldi didn't compose La Folia (it's actually an old Portugese piece), his arrangement I think is the most beautiful and powerful classical piece ever put to paper. It's really the only piece from Vivaldi that I truly like. Some prefer Corelli's version but I love Vivaldi's the most, ironically. Also, notice how in the following vid they add subtle nuances and emotion to the piece. This is typical of many Russian and eastern European orchestras/projects. Italian orchestras play it perfectly to the note, but it's so cold and unfeeling and with no emotion whatsoever. You may as well put a cd on and stay at home. This is the mindset of Italian conservatories and it really is a shame. People leave conservatory able to play the 24th Caprice but that's it. It's quite sad. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr0ezNpUc18

Cool piece! And yeah, I meant arguing with your wife! LOL! That's very cool!
Thanks again for the info. I've attended the Chicago Symphony twice in my life, and for the love of God, I can't remember the composer that was featured one of the nights, but it was very Zappa-like, and someone I had never heard of, which isn't surprising because my knowledge of classical music is very limited. If I remember right, it was the first time the CSO had ever done anything by this person. I wish I could remember who/what it was, it was very enjoyable, and had me grinning from ear to year the whole night... I still want to hit there on a classical guitarists night...One of these days....

515KPH4CZVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

released in 1993. this record pretty much summed it all up for metal fans and classical music. gave away all our secrets for "heaviness" and composition.
:)

forgot the link to check it out [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002SO9/ref=s9_simp_gw_s0_p15_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=00A5AKMG1SK5EBQBWWXE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002SO9/ref=s9_simp_gw_s0_p15_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=00A5AKMG1SK5EBQBWWXE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846[/ame]

Have loved classical music since I was a fourth-grader learning my first instrument. Had a collection of cassettes, (ha, yea, cassettes) that nearly rivaled my metal and jazz collection. Got away from it for awhile, but people like Yngwie and At Vance reminded me of what I used to love about it. Absolutely adore Vivaldi.

I grew up with it around me, and listened to it quite a bit up through high school. That was about the time I started getting into metal though, and with my tendency towards the heavy and melodic, I guess I was able to get my fix from it instead. Since that time, while I can still appreciate, and sometimes listen to classical, I'm much more likely to listen to prog/power metal. I'm sure that earlier love for it though was somewhat instrumental (ha) in creating my love for what I listen to now.

I can appreciate it when I hear it, but don't seek it out.
There certainly are a lot of epic classical pieces (IE - 1812 Overture).

Anyone remember CACOPHONY - "Speed Metal Symphony"????
I had that on cassette back in the day!

I grew up listening to classical, and I love metal with orchestra type stuff behind it. Coincidence? Probably not.

It's not a far stretch between the two IMO. The incorporation of Classical complexity and structure is what separates Metal from other heavy music styles like Hard Rock and Punk. It's also the reason Metal blends with symphony so well.

I like a few Classical pieces, Ravel's "Bolero" for example, but I never listen to Classical of my own volition.

I think being raised on classical and showtunes from one parent with yes, rush, and king crimson from the other is what lead me to prog and power metal. I do think bands like Rhapsody esposed me to different classical than I had listened to before (thank you wizard's last rhymes)