Classical music...

Mormagil said:
how much do you guys know about composers from other than their music? do you read biographies, or memoirs, books, essays etc. that they've written themselves? i haven't really done much of this but i bet it could give one a much different view of their work

Well, I had a class on the history of opera and the history of instrumentation. Plus I wrote a thesis about Edvard Grieg.

Eh, classical music is pretty lame. Stick-up-their-ass deluxe I say. I used to think I liked it, but I don't really.

I mean I can dig some, especially when "classical" music goes into the realm of just folk music from the renaisance/medieval time, because I like that a lot.

I like the peoples music more then the music of the upper-class, mostly.

Everything about classical music is stuffy and set-in-stone. That is lame.

KILL TULLY said:
Eh, classical music is pretty lame. Stick-up-their-ass deluxe I say. I used to think I liked it, but I don't really.

I mean I can dig some, especially when "classical" music goes into the realm of just folk music from the renaisance/medieval time, because I like that a lot.

good point. I don't like a lot of the really pompous stuff, but there is some really good stuff out there.

KILL TULLY said:

Ergo your taste is inferior :cool:

Ummmm... Ever heard Stravinsky? Schoenberg? Bartok? Any genre that includes Handel*, Schoenberg*, Beethoven* and Vivaldi HAS to be broad as hell... none of those dudes sound anything alike. The people who think all classical music is "a bunch of violins" and "all sounds the same" simply don't know what they are talking about.

*I really like Germans

You fucking commie

Dick Sirloin said:
Ummmm... Ever heard Stravinsky? Schoenberg? Bartok?

Yes, I have. I used to pretend to like classical music, like I said.

I'm not saying it all sounds the same, I'm saying it is stuffy, and set-in-stone. That does'nt mean "ZOMG IT ALL SOUNDS HTE SAMAMAMEE!" It meens that composers follow rules and especially, performers follow rules. There is no classical music jam sessions, no rowdy pub drinking, no fun and free dancing (even the dances in classical music are set-in-stone with set patterns and moves). Its stupid. No soul what-so-ever. Jazz was considered blasphemy at the begining, as they did watever-the-fuck they felt like, and did it with soul. This literally scared the classical wankers, so they lashed out against it, saying it wasn't even music. Fuckin' stuck-up wimps.

Much of classical compositions where contracted, as you probobly know being uber-fan and all that, so they definitly had to follow certain regulations.

I disagree about classical music not having soul. Some of the most moving peices I have heard in music have come from utterly genius classical arrangements. Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" has more heart and soul put into it than pretty much anything I've ever heard. Composers like Vivaldi and Paganini were totally beyond most of there contemporaries though anyway. Again, its all about preference. I listen to alot of Jazz and Fusion, but my training in music history and theory has led me to appreciate many more genres than I once did.

En Vind Av Sorg said:
I disagree about classical music not having soul. Some of the most moving peices I have heard in music have come from utterly genius classical arrangements. Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" has more heart and soul put into it than pretty much anything I've ever heard. Composers like Vivaldi and Paganini were totally beyond most of there contemporaries though anyway. Again, its all about preference. I listen to alot of Jazz and Fusion, but my training in music history and theory has led me to appreciate many more genres than I once did.

Maybe the composer put his heart and soul into the piece, but the performers of classical music are just computers interpretting input from a programmer.

KILL TULLY said:
Yes, I have. I used to pretend to like classical music, like I said.

I'm not saying it all sounds the same, I'm saying it is stuffy, and set-in-stone. That does'nt mean "ZOMG IT ALL SOUNDS HTE SAMAMAMEE!" It meens that composers follow rules and especially, performers follow rules. There is no classical music jam sessions, no rowdy pub drinking, no fun and free dancing (even the dances in classical music are set-in-stone with set patterns and moves). Its stupid. No soul what-so-ever. Jazz was considered blasphemy at the begining, as they did watever-the-fuck they felt like, and did it with soul. This literally scared the classical wankers, so they lashed out against it, saying it wasn't even music. Fuckin' stuck-up wimps.

Much of classical compositions where contracted, as you probobly know being uber-fan and all that, so they definitly had to follow certain regulations.

kickoffinternetgore0lz.jpg

Its not my fault that I'm right.

Folk in all its forms >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>x239847293847 classical

Sorry I'm not a pompous wankstain :(.

KILL TULLY said:
I'm not saying it all sounds the same, I'm saying it is stuffy, and set-in-stone.

If you knew anything about Stravinsky or Schoenberg, you know that these guys were the biggest blasphemers in music because they fully rejected classical forms and scales. Mozart and Beethoven did the same thing, moving away from Baroque formalities.

It meens that composers follow rules and especially, performers follow rules.

NOTHING like the rock industry today, right?

Oh yeah, there were no "beer swilling" songs. Lets face it: classical music is written and performed by virtuosos, by people who have spent their entire lives cultivating their talent. Mozart was a piano phenom before he was 10. Bach wrote "Toccata and Fugue" in his 20s. These were people with UNGODLY talents and wrote complex music. Back in those times, when people grew weary of high-brow music, they turned to popular songs and ballads, much like you can turn to AC/DC today.

Its stupid. No soul what-so-ever.

Gay and lying to the fullest degree. Handel's Messiah, Bach's St. Matthew Passion and Faure's Requiem (to name a few) have 5 billion times the emotion of all your crappy thrash bands. And that is a fact

Dick Sirloin said:
If you knew anything about Stravinsky or Schoenberg, you know that these guys were the biggest blasphemers in music because they fully rejected classical forms and scales. Mozart and Beethoven did the same thing, moving away from Baroque formalities.

Dick Sirloin said:
NOTHING like the rock industry today, right?

Good thing we arn't talking about the rock industry in any way shape or form. The rock industry today is just as lame.

Dick Sirloin said:
Oh yeah, there were no "beer swilling" songs. Lets face it: classical music is written and performed by virtuosos, by people who have spent their entire lives cultivating their talent. Mozart was a piano phenom before he was 10. Bach wrote "Toccata and Fugue" in his 20s. These were people with UNGODLY talents and wrote complex music.

Well to some peopl technical tallent does not = good music, at all.

Folk music is performed by people that "spend their entire lifes cultivating their tallent" because their tallent comes from their lives, everything about it is translated into the music that they make, every hole they had to dig or tree they had to plant, farm they had to tend, every piece of coal they had to mine, etc. etc. is translated into their ballads and "beer swilling songs".

That is soul, not somone stuffed up in a room practicing arpeggios and scales all day long.

Dick Sirloin said:
have 5 billion times the emotion of all your crappy thrash bands.

I'm comparing folk music to classical, not Thrash Metal to classical. This isn't about metal, or rock.

KILL TULLY said:
Folk music is performed by people that "spend their entire lifes cultivating their tallent" because their tallent comes from their lives, everything about it is translated into the music that they make, every hole they had to dig or tree they had to plant, farm they had to tend, every piece of coal they had to mine, etc. etc. is translated into their ballads and "beer swilling songs".

You ARE a commie! :lol:

OK, you won. Classical music sucks. I'll cut my losses and regroup for the next discussion

*throes