Recommend me some Classical

the_satanic_rabbit

Return of Ganon
Oct 30, 2002
Twin Cities, MN
www.omwresearch.com
I like powerful stuff, but also intricate instrumental bach like stuff (Dressed to Kill middle section)
I've got stuff by John Williams for sountracks so I don't need that.

Other than that I have...
Shastakovich (Symphony no. 5 with Festive Overture)
Gliere (Red poppy suite)
Holst (the Planets ...ahem...DWOT...ahem)
Murrsorgsky (Pictures at an Exhibition)
Vivaldi (The 4 Seasons)

I can't think of anything else right now...
I just know that I don't have any of the famous classical stuff.
So what would be good from that era,
Mozart, Bach?
Saliere (The guy in Amadeus who hates Mozart)
Where can I find some badass classical I guess is what I am asking! :Smokedev:

:D

:D

For me the most "powerful" classical music are operas, but many people I know who are more into prog/metal usually don't like the classical vocals. Well, I love them (I'm singing myself...) and so my famous classical composers are those who wrote the most emotional operas. The first one I have to name is Richard Wagner (you might question his personality and his political ideas, but his musical genius is undisputed). His "Ring des Nibelungen" is probably the most ambitious work in the whole history of music: 4 operas with more than 18 hours of playing time, and every note is pure genius! But also his other famous operas like "Parsifal", "Lohengrin" or "Tannhäuser" are unbelievable in their musical expression and their emotional depth.
If you want to get into Wagner it's the same as with Prog Metal: You need a lot of time to understand it. You even need a lot more time than with Prog I'd say, but it's worth the effort!

Other classical composers I like are Richard Strauss, Giacomo Puccini, Claude Debussy or Benjamin Britten. They all wrote very emotional and powerful music. Maybe Puccini is the one easiest to listen to if you're not very familiar with operas yet.

I'm an opera fan for many years now and I have to say the experience of an opera performance is quite comparable to a good prog concert. The background isn't quite the same, but your feelings are very similar.

you should also check Krzystof Penderecki (or whatever it is written), a damned genius, but its very VERY creepy. If you like baroque you can check arcangelo corelli. Also John Cage is very good.
Note: All three of them have nothing to do with each other, so do not expect them to sound alike. The only thing in common is good music:)