Recommend me some classical...

Dado-x

Senior Citizen
Sep 17, 2002
Slovenia
Visit site
Classical as in classical, not neo-classical. I have bunch of JS Bach, CPE Bach etc. so I wanna hear some minor-key driven stuff, which means no happy melodies ala Handel, but some dark, melanholic stuff. So which classical pieces would you recommend?

I think you want to discover the barroque period dont you?
Well, if you are looking for barroque "sad" pieces, i recomend Inventions and Partitas for Hasrpichord and Cello Suites by JSBach. There is one composer who wrote a sonata for violin named "Devils trill" his name is Guiseppe Tartini, he also belongs to the barroque period.

But if you are very intersted about "dark" pieces you must listen composers from the romantic peiod, for example: Beethovens Sonata in Cminor Op8 or Chopins Preludes op28.

Thats my opinion

For really dark evil sounding stuff, Id say Bartok, but thats also very atonal at times and pretty jarring. Its worth listening to though. His string quartets are the best. Also check out Liszt, Chopin, and Paganini (violin concertos and his caprices).

Originally posted by RequiemX
Check out some requiems. Verdi's is my favorite. But there are many other good ones.

Acually, the first track of V was based on Dies Ire from Verdi's requiem.

D'oh! How could I forget Mozarts requiem!! That is one of the most brilliant if not THE most brilliant peices of music EVER written!

Originally posted by Yngvai X
D'oh! How could I forget Mozarts requiem!! That is one of the most brilliant if not THE most brilliant peices of music EVER written!
Yea. Mozart's was in my "other" list. I have a recording of that. It's pretty cool. But Verdi's is the best.

Actually if you want darker/more energetic classical music, I would look to the Romantic era, my experience is that the Classical and (to a lesser extent) Baroque periods are more "wimpy", though I admit Bach has some good stuff.

For orchestral music:
  • Mahler - Symphony No 6 "Tragic" (my personal favorite, they don't get any darker than this)
  • Mahler - Symphony No 2 "Resurrection"
  • Brahms - Tragic Overture
  • Brahms - Symphony No 1
  • Brahms - Symphony No 3 (last movement especially kicks ass)
  • Brahms - Concerto for Violin and Cello
  • Schubert - Symphony No 4 "Tragic"
  • Schumann - Symphony No 4
  • Schumann - "Manfred" Overture
  • Dvorak - Symphony No 9 "New World"
  • Tchaikovsky - Symphony No 4
  • Tchaikovsky - March Slave
  • Beethoven - Symphony No 9 (ok, maybe it's not "dark", but if you find the right recording it definitely kicks ass. I'd recommend Gardiner conducting the ORR)

For chamber music (ie smaller ensemble, usually string instruments, sometimes with piano):
  • Brahms - Piano Quintet in F Minor (my favorite chamber work, the recording I have with Rubenstein/Guarneri Quartet flat-out rocks).
  • Schubert - String Quartet No 14 "Death and the Maiden" (another favorite)
  • Brahms - Piano Quartet
  • Dvorak - Piano Quintet
  • Some of Beethovens String Quartets are dark, but I can't remember which ones off the top of my head.

For choral/requiem music:
  • Mozart - Requiem
  • Verdi - Requiem
  • Brahms - "German" Requiem
  • Orff - Carmina Burana (though you may only like the "O Fortuna" opening/closing)

OK, that should be enough to get you started. :) You should also keep in mind that different performances of the same work can be very different. For instance, Gardiner's performance Beethoven Symphony No 9 with the ORR is consider a "period" performance, and takes a pretty literal interpretation of Beethoven's tempo instructions, resulting in a performance time of about 60 minutes. Modern conductors such as Goerge Solti have been known to stretch the same symphony out to 75 minutes or longer, totally sapping the life from it (IMHO of course). So if you find a conductor you like, you might want to stick with him when possible.

Jean Sibelius' Finlandia is what every friend of classical music should know. I recommend also Beethoven's minor Symphonies, Mendelsson's piano concertos and Chopin's poloneses. I like to play also Grieg's piano works, March of the Trolls is one of my favorites.

I can't believe I missed this thread. I can solve your problem.

If you want frighteningly dark; try Schoenberg, the man wrote music of experiences in concentration camps; nightmarish stuff.

Prokofiev, having grown up with those fucking commie tyrants in Russia came up with some brooding stuff. Try either Romeo and Juliet and/or his first three piano concertos; especially the 3rd. Dangerously brilliant and rousing stuff.

But my fave, by far, is Ludwig Van Beethoven. The man transcended reality and "seized fate by the throat" as he put it.
Here is a list of some of my faves and some of his darkest works:

-Symphony Nos. 5 & 9.

-Piano Concerto #3 in C Minor- the ultimate statement in musical extroversion.

-Coriolan Overture in C Minor- Beethoven wrote this haunting movement in one night.

-The Ruins Of Athens- the greatest incidental music ever written. The Chorus of Dervishes will literally leave you headbanging. Heavy shit.

-Piano Sonatas # 17 "Tempest" in D Minor and #23 "Appassionata" in F Minor- there is no greater evidence in music that proves that minor keys give the composer a wider means of emotional expression than these two pieces. the former is my favorite piece of music ever written for the keyboard.

-Op. 129 - Rondo a capriccio<The Rage Over The Lost Penny>- a really wild piece.

-Op. 77 Fantasia in G Minor- Perhaps the closest thing to what Beethoven's piano improvisation sounded like.

-Op. 70 The "Ghost" Piano Trio in D major- just like it says.

-String Quartets-

No. 1 in F Major- the second movement being my favorite string quartet movement ever.
No. 4 in C minor- awesome and catchy as hell
No. 9 in C major "Razamovsky"- altogether the most entertaining string quartet ever written.
No. 11<Op. 95> "Quartetto Serioso" in F Minor- a miniature masterpiece that explores ghastly worlds.
No. 14 in C# Minor - Seven movements of haunting brilliance. The final movement is explosive in its raw power.

Choral Music<now we're talking:)>

-Funeral Cantata on the Death of Joseph II. Really, really dark. Beethoven wrote this when he was barely 20. It was too difficult for any ensemble to play at the time. I want this to be played at my funeral.

-Op. 80 Choral Fantasy in C Minor - Okay, all I'm going to say is listen to this piece and try to find a really good recording. This is quintessential Beethoven.

-Op. 85 Grand Oratorio "Christ On The Mount Of Olives" - the greatest piece of music ever written. Ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER! A deeply emotional piece with melodies so colorful, dark and brooding, and joyfully blissful. He wrote it right after his "Heilligennstat Testament"- where he stated that he nearly took his life when his deafness was insurmountable but only his "art held him back".

-a note to any Symphony X member who might be reading this-
If you were to utilize just a few of the melodies in the last listed piece; you would have a record of unbelievably dangerous proportions.

Originally posted by Prismatic Sphere
I can't believe I missed this thread. I can solve your problem.

If you want frighteningly dark; try Schoenberg, the man wrote music of experiences in concentration camps; nightmarish stuff.

Prokofiev, having grown up with those fucking commie tyrants in Russia came up with some brooding stuff. Try either Romeo and Juliet and/or his first three piano concertos; especially the 3rd. Dangerously brilliant and rousing stuff.

But my fave, by far, is Ludwig Van Beethoven. The man transcended reality and "seized fate by the throat" as he put it.
Here is a list of some of my faves and some of his darkest works:

-Symphony Nos. 5 & 9.

-Piano Concerto #3 in C Minor- the ultimate statement in musical extroversion.

-Coriolan Overture in C Minor- Beethoven wrote this haunting movement in one night.

-The Ruins Of Athens- the greatest incidental music ever written. The Chorus of Dervishes will literally leave you headbanging. Heavy shit.

-Piano Sonatas # 17 "Tempest" in D Minor and #23 "Appassionata" in F Minor- there is no greater evidence in music that proves that minor keys give the composer a wider means of emotional expression than these two pieces. the former is my favorite piece of music ever written for the keyboard.

-Op. 129 - Rondo a capriccio<The Rage Over The Lost Penny>- a really wild piece.

-Op. 77 Fantasia in G Minor- Perhaps the closest thing to what Beethoven's piano improvisation sounded like.

-Op. 70 The "Ghost" Piano Trio in D major- just like it says.

-String Quartets-

No. 1 in F Major- the second movement being my favorite string quartet movement ever.
No. 4 in C minor- awesome and catchy as hell
No. 9 in C major "Razamovsky"- altogether the most entertaining string quartet ever written.
No. 11<Op. 95> "Quartetto Serioso" in F Minor- a miniature masterpiece that explores ghastly worlds.
No. 14 in C# Minor - Seven movements of haunting brilliance. The final movement is explosive in its raw power.

Choral Music<now we're talking:)>

-Funeral Cantata on the Death of Joseph II. Really, really dark. Beethoven wrote this when he was barely 20. It was too difficult for any ensemble to play at the time. I want this to be played at my funeral.

-Op. 80 Choral Fantasy in C Minor - Okay, all I'm going to say is listen to this piece and try to find a really good recording. This is quintessential Beethoven.

-Op. 85 Grand Oratorio "Christ On The Mount Of Olives" - the greatest piece of music ever written. Ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER! A deeply emotional piece with melodies so colorful, dark and brooding, and joyfully blissful. He wrote it right after his "Heilligennstat Testament"- where he stated that he nearly took his life when his deafness was insurmountable but only his "art held him back".

-a note to any Symphony X member who might be reading this-
If you were to utilize just a few of the melodies in the last listed piece; you would have a record of unbelievably dangerous proportions.
If you're a woman, I'd marry you RIGHT NOW.

Wow, great thread. Thanks alot for the recommendation guys.

If anyone is interested in flashy classical music, check out Nicola Paganini's Caprices. Almost every single one of Yngwie's classical sounding licks were stolen from here :)