what's some good classical music to listen to?

Kronikle66 said:
Gustav Holst. His CD "The Planets" is simply a masterpeice.

-Kronikle
I second The Planets

Also, have I heard a Strauss or Tchaikovsky? I recommend both.

oh i wasnt sure how far we were taking classicalbut since were talking about classical as in played by a non electric intrument... rachmaninoff's preludes are amazing (damned spelling i always forget) and like someone else mentioned prokofief, night on bald mountain and the montague and capulet piano piece. There is an excellent site (www.classicalarchives.com) and it has TONS of files for download, i would suggest paying like 5 dollars for a membership, it is so worth it!

If we're talking about film score composers, I'd also recommend Michael Kamen. He didn't have as many "big" films during his life, but Band of Brothers I'd highly recommend as his masterwork in terms of film scores.

Oh, and there's also that little Metallica S & M thing he did all the arrangements for, and that band called Queensryche... ;-)

All shredding basically traces back to Pagannini and Chopin. In his day, people though Pagannini was the only person who could play what he wrote because it was so physically difficult and he has Alan Holldsworth style hands. The Prelude on V is the Dies Irae section of Guiseppe Verdi's Requiem. Verdi's stuff is really amazing, and has a ton of Symphony X in it. Mozart's Requiem is absolutly amazing beyond belief. Pagannin'i s caprices are good for your chops. Chopins paino fantasie (not sure if it has a longer name, but the famous one) is wicked cool. There are some videos around the net of people playing it on guitar and trust me, it's a huge bitch. Schubert's unfinished symphony is the intro to Angra's Angels Cry.

Speaking of "V", there was one place on "A Fool's Paradise" where I was fairly sure I recognized a classical piece. Unfortunately, my memory's been fooling me as to who wrote the piece I'm thinking of--I think it was either Beethoven or Mozart. Does this ring a bell for anybody?

I'd recommend looking into Itzhak Perlman. He typically plays virtuosic pieces and it's an easy way to find new composers of that ilk.

Also, Paganini wrote many other pieces besides the Caprices that are worth more than second fiddle, particularly Concerto No. 4. And who could forget about Moto Perpetuo?

Saint-Saens is great stuff (again, see Perlman's rendition), particularly The Elephant.

Dvorak, Vivaldi, Debussy, and many others mentioned above are great. Add still Brahms, Rachmaninoff, and Liszt, all known to bear particular influence from Paganini.

Great topic.

For a sheer "heavy" saga, you've got to hear Ludwig Van Beethoven's "The Ruins Of Athens" or "The Consecration Of The House". His Funeral Cantata On The Death Of Joseph II is also demonically beautiful. Basically you can't miss with Beethoven.

Also:

Sibelius - Violin Concerto in D Minor
Prokofiev - Romeo & Juliet and Piano Concerto #3
Bach - Brandenberg Concerto #5 and all his Violin Partitas
Schubert - Piano Trio in E Flat Major

I didn't want to download that BitTorrent thing, but I definitely liked the second set of songs. The first one (I think it was a "Final Fantasy" theme) reminded me a bit of "The Ecstasy of Gold", from The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly...they're all pretty cool, though.

dont think anyone has mentioned any classical guitar composers. Agustin Barrios Mangore is by far the best in my opinion. Do everything you can to hear la catedral and an alm for the love of god.

Other then that, Bach's lute suites are amazing.
Chopin
Liszt
villa-lobos
francisco tarrega

tyrant21 said:
dont think anyone has mentioned any classical guitar composers. Agustin Barrios Mangore is by far the best in my opinion. Do everything you can to hear la catedral and an alm for the love of god.

Other then that, Bach's lute suites are amazing.
Chopin
Liszt
villa-lobos
francisco tarrega
Chopin did not write for the guitar however Tarrega did trancibe some Chopin´s preludes for the guitar.

Liszt ??? No offense man, but are you sure you know about classical guitar music?

I love classical guitar music, my favorites composers are: Fernando Sor, Mauro Giuliani and Manuel M Ponce.

BTW I have a friend who plays "La Catedral"

I know this may sound corny naming this fellow among such giants, but I find Basil Poleduris's Conan the Barbarian score to be quite amazing in places. Theology and Civilization is beautiful.

A composer I find compelling for his blending of genres is Edgar Meyer. I don't know if you'd call it classical, but I'd say the shoe fits.