What your opinion aboout classical music?

Luis

Mortal With Immortal Mind
I have been listening to classical music since ten, so i think i can give a real opinion: If you want to talk about any kind of music, you must know classical music. If you want to be a good player you must play classical music and then things are simple. If you want to enjoy good metal you must listen to classical music....well is only my opinion, maybe you dont share it.

:D

Luis

i personally do not agree with your opinion. in fact i want to keep metal and classical as far away as possible... it's just so funny watching all those idiots in the audience on the yngwie "concerto" DVD.. it's supposed to be an "authentic" classical concert yet the audience is doing everything you're not supposed to do in a classical concert..

i was also at amazon.com checkin out some CDs and there was this review of paganini;s 24 caprices from a typical heavy metal dumbass full of spelling mistakes:

"BEST CLASSICAL ALBUM EVER! PAGANNINNI IS A GENIOUS! IF YOU LIKE SHRED YOU HAVE TO LISTIN TO ISSAC PERLMEN PLAY THE 24 CAPRICES! THE FIFTH CAPRICE TOTALLY SHREDS!. SHRED!"

hehehehehehehe

i don't quite share your opinion though i listen classical music also and imo is one of the least apreciated genres in music i don't know how someone can like mainstream pop and not like classical music:rolleyes: just my opinion though:D

I think any musician needs to listen to as many genres as possible to be an alround musician so why separate Classical from say Jazz or Blues?...

This is all part of the musical snobbery which I find around me everyday. You know learning and listening to classical is great but it does not make your opinion on a piece of music any more valid than that of someone else...

I started listening to classical to understand where Malmsteen got his licks from.. but I've learnt as much by listening to various artists instead of concentrating on one genre.. that includes Metal artists...

This, of course, is my opinion.. I would recommend anyone listens to classical - there's much enjoyment to be had listening to the old masters - but if someone doesn't want to - fine!!!!!

Music is a cience too,and most of the old times great composers were awesome "cientists" too.Important knowlege that we have in our music schools today were "made" by some of them.When you listen/read classical music you are studying too if you are a musician.But not just classical music.Listen some fusion and become impressed baby ;)
Hints?Niacin is my shot again.

Metal and classical is two separated things. I don't like Nightwish because they mix up these two things...

Anyway, I listen to metal and lots of other music style too. We have Paganini's something( :p) but I don't listen to it so often than my Pink Cream collection. :D I have nothing against it but it's not my thing either. :)

Of course there's really beautiful songs (whatever)... :)

You know... I started liking more classical music once I've started to listen more Symphony X, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Malmsteen, and stuff... but, I totally disagree that a person is less than other just 'cause the fact that he doesn't listen to classical music! I mean... I started playing the guitar because I started to listen to Metallica! Metallica was my first metal band, ever! Then, I started to listen to other more melodical bands, such Iron Maiden, and then, Blind Guardian, etc....

Classical is sooooooooooooooooooo so so important. Especially if you like Symphony X. I'm so sick of these fucking idiots on bar stools telling me "Classical is too tight! Hard rock all came from jazz, blues, and bluegrass!" Rubbish. What throws a lot of people off is that in the time of the great composers(Beethoven, Haydn, and Mozart) classical was a very free-form style. Meaning that there was A LOT of improvisation and LOADS of emotion; unlike today. Yes, classical is very exacting. But if you wanna really play well; you ought to be able to improvise or at least play classically. Much of the neoclassical metal came straight out of the Dorian mode which began in the era of Handel and Bach~ church music.

Rock earliest roots were actually Africa. Because Rock was made by Blues and Jazz, the orgins of Blues and Jazz was in Africa. Classical was an English thing. Yes, Classical did influence some Rock songs but did not create Rock.

Originally posted by Prismatic Sphere
Classical is sooooooooooooooooooo so so important. Especially if you like Symphony X. I'm so sick of these fucking idiots on bar stools telling me "Classical is too tight! Hard rock all came from jazz, blues, and bluegrass!" Rubbish. What throws a lot of people off is that in the time of the great composers(Beethoven, Haydn, and Mozart) classical was a very free-form style. Meaning that there was A LOT of improvisation and LOADS of emotion; unlike today. Yes, classical is very exacting. But if you wanna really play well; you ought to be able to improvise or at least play classically. Much of the neoclassical metal came straight out of the Dorian mode which began in the era of Handel and Bach~ church music.

Bravo, bravo my friend, yes ,classical music is so important if you like SymphonyX and the good metal.

Originally posted by Prismatic Sphere

Actually, classical music wasn't very free form at all. It was extremely structured up until modern times. Its true that Bach would improvise fugues (quite unbelieveable!) but within the improvised melodies he stuck to a very structured form. Also Bach did not use Dorian modes or anything like that, that era of music was all major and harmonic/melodic minor scale based, modal harmony actually didnt appear until much later. You might have confused that with renaissance music where the D dorian mode was the center of harmony (someone correct me if Im wrong).

Don't mean to sound nit picky, just setting some facts straight :)

Also, Im curious as to what you mean by "playing classically?" Do you mean learning actual peices of classical music or do you mean being able to play up and down the harmonic minor scale like Yngwie? ;)

Originally posted by Yngvai X

Actually, classical music wasn't very free form at all. It was extremely structured up until modern times. Its true that Bach would improvise fugues (quite unbelieveable!) but within the improvised melodies he stuck to a very structured form. Also Bach did not use Dorian modes or anything like that, that era of music was all major and harmonic/melodic minor scale based, modal harmony actually didnt appear until much later. You might have confused that with renaissance music where the D dorian mode was the center of harmony (someone correct me if Im wrong).

Actually you're wrong. Dorian is what that mode came to be called; I know it was before Beethoven's time; I'm not sure when.
And it doesn't really matter because Handel and Bach incorporated it in their work and it was largely utilized in church music.

But you didn't read my post correctly. I said that in the time of the great composers(like Beethoven, Haydn, and Mozart) classical was very free-form to artists. I wasn't talking about Baroque. But if you say that classical wasn't free form(especially in comparison to today's teachings) you are gravely mistaken. Improvisation in classical has been wholly ignored and discouraged- it really isn't even taught anymore, not even at Juliard; which is really tragic. But in Beethoven's day, improvisation was the norm and extremely encouraged. In fact, even though Beethoven would work and rework his piano sonatas for example, they were basically just his improvs on paper; especially his earlier ones. Have you ever heard his Fantasia for piano Op. 77 in G minor? Listen to it and you'll see what I mean. And at the premiere of the awesome Choral Fantasy Op. 80 in C minor, Beethoven entirely improvised the introduction. That is a fact. And that would NEVER happen today. I think I have my facts pretty straight sir; but thank you.:)

Also, Im curious as to what you mean by "playing classically?" Do you mean learning actual peices of classical music or do you mean being able to play up and down the harmonic minor scale like Yngwie? ;)

Well both really. Getting to know the form of classical and being able to create that form on your own; like Michael Romeo.:cool: