Some Bands that you would recommend

mark_bwaite

One Man Gang
Oct 15, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Hey guys, uhhh just wondering if you knew any great bands that are easy to listen to....preferably not prog I'm looking for a diferent style, like rock-funk, or just plain rock. Like the Chili Peppers. After listening to all this complex music I like to wind down you know??? Plus I have to order all my prog, classical, neo-classical, fusion etc. so It's hard for me sometimes.

Well I can't really help you since I listen to hard rock and fusion to wind-down... :) If you want a relaxing cd, try Buckethead's "Colma", very calm and smooth with loads of technical guitar licks.

I've been a big fan of Days of the New. They're an acoustic band, but have a lot of orchestration and other interesting things. They rock most of the time with just straight guitars when they don't experiment.

Porcupine Tree - "In Absentia"
Anathema - "Judgement", "A Fine Day To Exit"
Katatonia - "Last Fair Deal Gone Down"
Kent - "Hagnesta Hill"
Coldplay - "A Rush Of Blood To The Head"

Well in the vein of some relaxing music i would suggest some stone temple pilots, tantric, new sevendust (boy i wish they got aggressive again), jerry cantrel's new solo, dead soul tribe (not commercial, but relaxing), conception in your multitude or flow(yeah prog, but its relaxing), pain of salvation TPE

hope that helps. also if your listening to all this relaxing stuff, right after that, listen to some spiral architect and it will make your brain burst :)

Hey, I highly recommend Brian Setzer's last release (sans the Jazz Orchestra) He put out a Balls Out Rock-a-Billy album last year (I think it's called '57 Comeback Special) It' swings, Shreds, it's just plain old FUN!

I LOVE this stuff when I'm not in the mood for metal or prog. Of course I'm really into jazz too, so this is like right inbetween.

Last track is a version of the flamenco guitar standard 'Malaguena' played in typical Setzer style (ie big fat hollowbody Gretsch guitar!)

Marillion - Anoraknophobia is relaxing
Al Di Meola - Anything.
Jonas Hellborg & Shawn Lane - Anything
Spock's Beard - Snow.Not relaxing,but a DAMN MASTERPIECE.
Billy Sheehan - Compression.
Rick Wakeman - The Seven Wonders of the World.THAT one is relaxing!
These are all great things,try everything you can.
But of course,nothing here sounds like Red Hot Chili Peppers...(Thanks God)

well what I listen when i'm not in the aggresive music mood is:
Bon Jovi, Lacuna Coil,Classical music, SRV, Apocalyptica among others

Yeah, DiMeola is excellent. Get some stuff from "Elegant Gypsy", or his new one, "Flesh on Flesh." His stuff is excellent. Most jazz guitar stuff is really relaxing to me, I especially like Pat Methaney, Lee Ritenour and George Benson.

Originally posted by karelrulez
I also HIGHLY recommend Ozric Tentacles. I've been to their concert once and their guitar player is INCREDIBLE. they also make relaxing space music. check http://www.ozrics.com

Yeah, much of their material is well suited for meditative purposes...especially a song like Eternal Wheel, Tidal Convergence, or A Gift Of Wings (all three from Erpland, often considered their best)...