Any Synths you guys would recommend?

mark_bwaite

One Man Gang
Oct 15, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Well guys, I am in need of your help right now. I am looking for a Synth. I'm a piano player and guitarist, piano being my primary instrument (classicaly trained). I've never owned a synth before and need your suggestions in choosing one. The type of music I want to play is prog, classical, and some jazz, so I'd like the synth to be not to expensive but have a wide range of patches and downloadable sounds. Dream Theater, Symphony X, Vitali Kuprij, LTE, Planet X, among others are the main bands I'd like to start playing.

Quote from www.jordanrudess.com faq-section:

1. What equipment do you use in your studio?
My Kurzweil equipment includes a fully loaded K260088 note weighted keyboard, K2600 Rack modules, a K2000VP keyboard and a PC2 rack.

My Korg gear includes a Korg Karma keyboard and the Triton rack with four of the sound cards installed.

I also have a Mini Moog, a Fender Bass Rhodes (given to me by Harold Jr.) and some very cool software for the computer! I use Bitheadz Session software, which has sampling, synthesis and modeling all in one unique package, and I also use Native instrument's Absynth and Reaktor programs. I also play and own a Steinway piano.

For sequencing I use MOTU's Digital Performer 3, MOTU's Midi Time Piece AV and a MOTU 828 audio interface. My main computer is a Mac powerbookG4.

Other equipment includes:

Mackie PRO 1604 16 channel board
Mackie studio monitors

LIVE:

I've been using ONE loaded 2600 88 note keyboard as the controller with TWO 2600 Racks, a Korg Karma keyboard as well as the Korg Triton rack.

---

Korg Trinity rules.

looks like some people already helped you on this one :D let's see if I buy another synth and cables for my comp I really need that.

Originally posted by metropolis2k X
Roland XV-88 and the Yamaha Motif 8 are nice. They have 88 fully weighted keys so you'll have a nice 'real' piano feel and they both have excellent sounds.
fully weighted? awesome, what's the price range of those? if you know of course:D