I really did not like this comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh... my... God

That... was... just... too... heavy...

Polyeidus was right, what have I gotten myself into!?

Well, of course I am not the All Mighty God in Heaven, and what I, or any other mortal, says is just an opinion. But mankind has set standards and concluded a couple of things, like for instance: a person who tells something that is untrue is called a liar. But I'm not going to start a discussion on Sokrates here about ultimate truth. To answer your question; there are several measures according to me when judging music:

1. If it means something on an emotional level

2. If it's technically brilliant, after standards set by mortal men

3. If it's produced/arranged in a way that is considered innovative, after standards set by mortal men

Those are the mayor measures, I might have overlooked something, but this is what I judge music by and even though no one can say what's right and what's wrong on no.1, the two other's can. Let's take a simple example:

If a band plays off-beat, and another is very tight, of course you'll say the second one is better in that aspect. If the first band's technical limitations do something for you emotionally, fine, but the fact is still there: the second band is better from a technical point of view.

Therefore, there are bands with better musicians (except for Russell), better songs, better arrangements, better production, better soundquality, more innovation etc than Symphony X. Facts.

Like Geoff Tate once said about not "searching for black and white answers in a grey world".

I would have too disagree with you saying Symphony X is not the best band in the world, because which band is the best is a question individualities have to ask themselves for. Some people think maybe a Nu-metal ( It`s a pain too say it, but it`s the truth), death metal, power metal........band is the best in the world, even though they`ve heard Symx and all that other "technical" music. You know why Macy? Because for some people there`s just one band`s music that hits them, and they find it MUCH more interesting and enjoyable than ANY of the other bands they have heard! When i heard Symphony X, i instantly heard that this was the music i liked most. This band had the songs that really made me smile in the pure joy of listening to good music, which no other band has managed yet to such an extent.
No matter how much you want it, there is no universal "Best band". Each person have to decide for themselves what band is going to be their favourite. Certainly, you aren`t the one to tell me Symx is not the best band in my opinion!

Kate Bush Rules! said:
I know power metal has a reputation for cheesiness, but just because a band is power metal doesn't automatically mean that they're cheesy. My 3 favourite power metal bands, Blind Guardian, Nightwish and Symphony X aren't really cheesy, but they're undoubtedly power metal.

Um, no, Symphony X is progressive-power metal.

:)I am the best band. :)I am the best band. :Spin:i am the best ban.... :erk:I am de best ....
goggly.gif
i am de bezt...
loco.gif
i am d bez... o_Oi am ...

arglebargle said:
Um, no, Symphony X is progressive-power metal.

In one interview Michael Pinella told symphonyx style:

What style is it in your opinion? You know, "labels" are sometimes unavoidable.

MP: I guess it's progressive, it's lyrical, melodic, and it has some metal. I guess progressive melodic metal if one has to put a label on it.

Luis said:
In one interview Michael Pinella told symphonyx style:

What style is it in your opinion? You know, "labels" are sometimes unavoidable.

MP: I guess it's progressive, it's lyrical, melodic, and it has some metal. I guess progressive melodic metal if one has to put a label on it.

And in another interview Russell said that he knows people call SyX progressive, but he doesn't think they are, so...I bet SyX themselves don't know what to call them...Romeo just says they're a "metal band." :p

Polyeidus said:
When did Bjork ever sing a song called Kali Yuga? I have all her studio releases, and the one I thought you were talking about, well, it wasn't. I'm confused.
She didn't. "Kali Yuga" is a song by the prog-metal band Aghora. Björk should cover Aghora songs. :)

Macy said:
Well, of course I am not the All Mighty God in Heaven, and what I, or any other mortal, says is just an opinion. But mankind has set standards and concluded a couple of things, like for instance: a person who tells something that is untrue is called a liar. But I'm not going to start a discussion on Sokrates here about ultimate truth. To answer your question; there are several measures according to me when judging music:

1. If it means something on an emotional level(to you, that is)

2. If it's technically brilliant, after standards set by mortal menWho is to judge what is technically brilliant? See below

3. If it's produced/arranged in a way that is considered innovative, after standards set by mortal men

I will leave this discussion where it is, as I have no desire to rehash the replies I made to Polyeidus in the exact same discussion a few months ago. I`m leaving you with an anecdote to ponder;

The Shaggs were an all-sister band from a rural town in the US. Their father having received a prophecy from his mother that the girls would be world-famous and make lots of money, took them out of school and bought them instruments. Not having much influence beyond a couple of 60`s pop records heard when they were very young, the girls rehearsed all day for several months. After this period, they went in the recordstudio and recorded their debut-album in a couple of hours. To the normal ear, these songs sound terrible. The guitars are out of tune, the drums are out of time, and the vocals are way out there in the ozone layer- But who is to say that that is incorrect? We take the infallibility of the western musical tradition for granted, that music must adhere to mathematical rigority. To some, including Frank Zappa (who had them as his third favourite band), the Shaggs defied all that and made music as pure as snow, with almost no outside influences. To others, including yours truly, it just sounds like some kids who haven`t got their ears straight. I guess that goes to show how different tastes are, and how one mans trash is another mans treasure.

Awww, Harpie and his grammaticly advance, opinionated observations. Your too smart for me with words like "infallibility'' and "rigority".:)

Harp Heaven said:
I will leave this discussion where it is, as I have no desire to rehash the replies I made to Polyeidus in the exact same discussion a few months ago. I`m leaving you with an anecdote to ponder;

The Shaggs were an all-sister band from a rural town in the US. Their father having received a prophecy from his mother that the girls would be world-famous and make lots of money, took them out of school and bought them instruments. Not having much influence beyond a couple of 60`s pop records heard when they were very young, the girls rehearsed all day for several months. After this period, they went in the recordstudio and recorded their debut-album in a couple of hours. To the normal ear, these songs sound terrible. The guitars are out of tune, the drums are out of time, and the vocals are way out there in the ozone layer- But who is to say that that is incorrect? We take the infallibility of the western musical tradition for granted, that music must adhere to mathematical rigority. To some, including Frank Zappa (who had them as his third favourite band), the Shaggs defied all that and made music as pure as snow, with almost no outside influences. To others, including yours truly, it just sounds like some kids who haven`t got their ears straight. I guess that goes to show how different tastes are, and how one mans trash is another mans treasure.

Your story is very captivating but had you understood my post, and this goes to everyone who says there is no "best band", you would have realized that what I said was that there is no such thing, but there are certain things that make one band better than the other, within certain measures that have been set by us. The first point, which of course also is the most important, was that it is up to everyone individually to say what the best band is. READ.

The reason I said that SX isn't the best band is not that the band hasn't brought "joy to my life", but because many of you were arguing about who is a better musician, technically, and that, at least is something that can not be argued, after set standards. And from that point of view SX isn't the best band on the planet. That is not something I've made up but something that any reasonable musician can agree with. No one listens to music better than I do, and that is something that each of us have the right to say. Had I said "Inferno" is their best song, no one would have given a shit, right? But there are some people who refuse to understand a point and disagree only to disagree instead of spending a bit of their energy to figure out what someone is trying to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.