Who Shares my Opinion?

Luis

Mortal With Immortal Mind
Surfing in the net, i can see that many guys still think that DT members are the best in their respective instruments...But on the other hand, many guys (former DT fans included) think that DT havent made nothing good or at least something decent since Scenes from a Memory.

Why DT are so famous? I really dont know. I mean they were not the first prog metal band. They dont have the best disc in the genre and they dont have the best musicans in the genre (With the exeption of Myung)

I can name better progressive musicians in than Portnoy and company:

Drums: Mark Zonder, Terry Bozzio and Jason Rullo

Guitars: Michael Romeo, Stephan Forte and Tony Macalpine

Singers: Actually LaBrie is one of the worst singers in the scene. Allen and Roy Khan (to mention a few) are much much better than James.

Jordan Rudess is an amazing pianist/keyboardist, however they are others in the same league: Pinella, Chirs Ingles, Andre Andersen, Kevin Codfert and Mark Robertson. In terms ot technique Vitalij Kuprij and Tony Macalpine are better than Jordan.

Regarding Myung. I dont have any complain.

Do you agree with the list of guys that i wrote?
Do you agree that Metropolis Part II was their last good disc?
Why they are so famous?

Hope your answers

I would have to agree with you, I'm not so partial to Dream Theater, although I like some of their stuff. Overall, I think Symphony X is a much better band, but that's just me. And it's nice to see someone else thinks Roy Khan is one of the better prog singers...I haven't met a whole lot of people who listen to like (or have even heard of) Kamelot for some reason.

I have a few to add...
Guitar: Timo Tolkki
Vocals: Tom Englund & Timo Kotipelto
Keys: Jens Johannson

As far as prog goes, I think those guys are some of THE best at what they do.

Luis said:
Surfing in the net, i can see that many guys still think that DT members are the best in their respective instruments...But on the other hand, many guys (former DT fans included) think that DT havent made nothing good or at least something decent since Scenes from a Memory.

Why DT are so famous? I really dont know. I mean they were not the first prog metal band. They dont have the best disc in the genre and they dont have the best musicans in the genre (With the exeption of Myung)

I can name better progressive musicians in than Portnoy and company:

Singers: Actually LaBrie is one of the worst singers in the scene. Allen and Roy Khan (to mention a few) are much much better than James.

Jordan Rudess is an amazing pianist/keyboardist, however they are others in the same league: Pinella, Chirs Ingles, Andre Andersen, Kevin Codfert and Mark Robertson. In terms ot technique Vitalij Kuprij and Tony Macalpine are better than Jordan.

Regarding Myung. I dont have any complain.

Do you agree with the list of guys that i wrote?
Do you agree that Metropolis Part II was their last good disc?
Why they are so famous?

Hope your answers

so how did you conclude that these guys are better? for example can you explain in detail the process of analysing jordan's playing and compare the velocity of each 16th note he played in a certain passage against the other keyboard/piano players? and how it's not as good if not better

i really would like to know how to judge who's better :confused:

Luis said:

I think LaBrie is good enough. He's a great singer, I also find his live vocals to be fine.

Mortnoy is the best drummer in the metal scene from my point of view.

I'd say Pettruci was a better guitarist than Micheal Romeo. But to be honest I much prefer Romeo's style.

"I mean they were not the first prog metal band."
No, and Maiden arnt the first Heavy-Metal band, but they're by far the most famous and best.

Dream Theatre were original. I think its just a trend these days to say "OH NO , DREAM THEATER ARNT COOL ANYMORE" I see it all over.

But on the other hand, their latest record isnt really what I want from DT...It dosnt work really.

When DT first came on the scene, they established a firm and loyal fanbase because they took "prog" one big step further than what prog fans were into (Rush, for example). DT were original and very talented, so it was a rather quick success for them, especially in USA. And.....their live shows were an exciting event to experience. They inspired a lot of musicians and bands. Personally, I'm not a big fan of DT. They're OK, but there are bands I like more than them. I can only take LaBrie's voice for a short time till he grates on my nerves.

Katalepsy said:
I would have to agree with you, I'm not so partial to Dream Theater, although I like some of their stuff. Overall, I think Symphony X is a much better band, but that's just me. And it's nice to see someone else thinks Roy Khan is one of the better prog singers...I haven't met a whole lot of people who listen to like (or have even heard of) Kamelot for some reason.

I have a few to add...
Guitar: Timo Tolkki
Vocals: Tom Englund & Timo Kotipelto
Keys: Jens Johannson

As far as prog goes, I think those guys are some of THE best at what they do.

TIMO TOLKKI!!!, I don't want to sound like an ass but half the guitar players on this board can smoke that nut job!

BTW, I think alot of you guys are really underestimating Rudess, he is so versatile.

Oh and Luis it is your opinion that DT doesn't have the best disc in the genre. I on the other hand disagree with you big time. You are also underrating Portnoy.

Luis said:
They dont have the best disc in the genre
I agree to nearly all of your points except this one... to me and to many others, "Images and Words" still is the untouchable monument of Progressive Metal. Both "Awake" and "Scenes from a Memory" are better than everything what SX have made, regarding the respective album's overall quality, though I must say I've come to like SX's style more than DT's over time.

However, I wholeheartedly agree that it's not fair to say Romeo & co. don't hold a candle to Petrucci & co. technique-wise.
Can't really compare the guitarists, but I think they're quite equal. In any case, I prefer Mike's style of shredding of JP's nowadays playing anyday.
While I think Rullo can't rival Portnoy's chops, he keeps the music together better and with more taste.
Pinnella is one I appreciate more for his arrangement skills and song-serving stuff than for his chops, though I think he could keep up with Jordan, being a classical-trained piano player at all.
Lepond is awesome, just like Myung... whoever can keep up with those guitarists has to be damn skilled. However, I feel he hasn't shown enough of his skill, but that might change with the next albums.
Looking at the singers, SX beats DT six ways from sunday of course. I really like LaBrie's voice and he came across really good on the last tour, but Russ is like the proverbial power singer for a band like SX. Lots of force, impressive range, heavenly falsetto... perfect.
Thus, SX can match DT stride for stride. They could be just as famous if Romeo and his henchmen had done enough to become "heroes" for any aspiring musician out there, but actually, I prefer the way it is right now. SX seem to come into their own as far as success is concerned.

Asgath said:
I think its just a trend these days to say "OH NO , DREAM THEATER ARNT COOL ANYMORE"

A trend eh? I think it's more of a trend to think DT is still the shizz after the craptastic Train of Thought. Of course its just my opinion that it blows goats, but look at the style of music that it's leaning towards. Now THATS a trend. :Smug:

Anyhoo, for the record I shall now say: OH NO , DREAM THEATER ARNT COOL ANYMORE

:rolleyes:

Another one of those stupid talk-shit-about-Dream-Theater-threads I'm so glad the Norwegian DT Forum isn't full of threads where we're talking shit about Symphony X.

Well at first, if you want to attack those who mean John Petrucci, Portnoy and so on are the best, why the hell don't you attack those who think Lars Ulrich and Kirk Hammet are the best?

Oh, shit so Michael Romeo is better than Petrucci? Well, I guess than Symphony X is a better band, I'll stop listen to Dream Theater and I'll start talking shit about them! ;)
And you wonder why they are famous just because they're not technically best? Well, take a look at today's music business. 14-years old girls who haven't got a sense of musical experience become superstars...

Can you tell me why Symphony X, and other bands like Planet X should be a better band only because the musicians are technically better?
A band isn't the best band only because the musicians are technically superb! It's all about personal taste, someone likes Train of Thougt, someone does not, someone likes The Odyssey, someone does not... How hard can this be to understand?

And please, why don't we take the focus away from Dream Theater for a little while? This is alltough a Symphony X forum...

Divine Wings Of Tragedy said:
so how did you conclude that these guys are better? for example can you explain in detail the process of analysing jordan's playing and compare the velocity of each 16th note he played in a certain passage against the other keyboard/piano players? and how it's not as good if not better

i really would like to know how to judge who's better :confused:
I did not say they were better. I said that those keyboardist are as good as Jordan. Listen to the piano solo of Chirs Ingles in the song "Ghost Ship[size=-1]" and then you will understand what i mean. [/size]

But im sure that Vitalij Kuprij and Tony Macalpine are better than Jordan in terms of technique.

I think I'm one of the few who can say, "I like Labrie." When I saw them with Queensryche, he was really back on his game.

And, in my opinion, they do have the best disc in the genre. "Images and Words" blows my mind - it was so original and so well-crafted. Good stuff. And ACOS is my favorite epic ever.

I can kinda see where the DT knocking is coming from. I haven't liked what they've been doing since Scenes, but that doesn't make them a bad band. They're famous because they did a lot to expand progressive metal; that and they're a solid, talented, original band.

It's all a matter of opinion, there's no way to set in stone who is the best. If everyone agreed on who was the best, music wouldn't be very fun, would it? I personally like these debates, they're kind of funny actually, since they just seem to go in circles (and since this is a forum), for days or even weeks.

And regarding that remark about Timo Tolkki, I doubt half of the guitar players on this board could "smoke that nut job." I have only been playing like 2 and a half years, so ya know what, in my books, he kicks ass...'nuff said.

Katalepsy said:
And regarding that remark about Timo Tolkki, I doubt half of the guitar players on this board could "smoke that nut job." I have only been playing like 2 and a half years, so ya know what, in my books, he kicks ass...'nuff said.

Yeah, when I was just playing 2 1/2 years I thought Tolkki was amazing too...then once I started listening more to guys like Romeo, Becker, Gilbert, etc. I realized how sloppy Tolkki is. This is really apparent on their live album and DVD. Tolkki considers himself a songwriter first and not a soloist at all anyway, according to an interview I read with Jens Johansson, and he'll be the first to admit that he's not that great of a lead player, or at least not of the caliber of someone like Romeo or Yngwie. But for a powermetal guitarist he's got more chops than most, although he didn't really use them as tastefully as some others. To me the best "powermetal" guitarists are Jens Ludwig, Rafael Bittencourt, and Kai Hansen. Also Andre Olbrich and Emppu Vuorinen work really well in their respective bands. Keep in mind here I'm excluding shred virtuosos that happen to play in powermetal bands like Kiko Loureiro.

Granted, I know there are plenty of better guitarists than Tolkki, but that doesn't change the fact that I think he is a good player. And every guitarist has their faults, there is no guitarist that can ever play "perfect." So if you want to point out that Tolkki is sloppy, why don't you point out the faults of other guitarists, maybe point out your own, I know mine; I can't really solo worth shit. Like I say, every guitarist has their faults, but (kinda like physics) for every fault, there is an equal and opposite strength; For Example: I can't solo, but man, I kick ass at rhythm (which isn't necessarily super easy all the time).

Oh, by the way, another awesome prog guitarist would be Chris Impellitteri, IMO of course.

I actuall think Kiko Louriero is one of the best guitarists ever, his technique, versitality(did I just have W Bush moment there?) and writing are awesome.
I love Rafael's phrasing though. And on the new one I think he's gotten even better. But, I am not a huge fan of Temple of Shadows. I think Magistral is catching up to Angra in terms of techincal power metal.