Technically superior to Symphony X?

Aug 12, 2003
Norway
www.myspace.com
In the Progressive Power Metal genre, I would say Ring Of Fire. They don't write better songs than Symphony X, but I think they are better technically. I also like their singer, Mark Boals, alot. Anyone else heard or heard of this band? Their members are: Mark Boals - Vocals, Tony Macalpine - Guitar and Keyboards, Steve Weingart - Keyboards, Philip Bynoe - Bass, Virgil Donati - Drums. Shredder George Bellas and keyboard god Vitalij Kuprij has also played in the band, in fact, Kuprij was only recently replaced by Weingart. Anyone who likes Malmsteen is gonna love Ring Of Fire, they are not terribly original, but they have enough talent to compete with most bands today. They sometimes sound a bit too much like latter-day Malmsteen, considering that Mark Boals used to sing in Yngwie's band.

Who cares whos better technically? As long as the music rocks it doesn't matter. Technical ability should serve the music, not the other way around (one reason why I like SyX, Adagio, and Angra so much).

Hmmm, Spiral Architect does have an interesting bassist but i think the guitarist has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on Romeo.

NOTHING

it wasMarc Boals's solo Cd btw.

And yeah, Ring of Fire have AMAAAAAAAAAZING musicians (Tony Mac is a freek and Virg is my favourite drummer, Vitalij and George were also scarey!) but there songs are too rehashed neo-classical for me to dig 'em. Although some of the songs on Dreamtower were more progressive and i hope they go further in that direction.

about spiral architect, there is nothing emotional in the music, and that includes the vocals. Sure, lyrics can be meaningful on paper, but they mean nothing if it doesn't fit with the music.