Technically superior to Symphony X?

Aug 12, 2003
Norway
www.myspace.com
In the Progressive Power Metal genre, I would say Ring Of Fire. They don't write better songs than Symphony X, but I think they are better technically. I also like their singer, Mark Boals, alot. Anyone else heard or heard of this band? Their members are: Mark Boals - Vocals, Tony Macalpine - Guitar and Keyboards, Steve Weingart - Keyboards, Philip Bynoe - Bass, Virgil Donati - Drums. Shredder George Bellas and keyboard god Vitalij Kuprij has also played in the band, in fact, Kuprij was only recently replaced by Weingart. Anyone who likes Malmsteen is gonna love Ring Of Fire, they are not terribly original, but they have enough talent to compete with most bands today.

Yes I have their albums. They are ok. Not anything as good as symphony x to me though. Ring of fire does what lots of other bands already do like majestic, artension, and a lot of others.

mmmm if you like technicality, you could listen to Planet X or On the Virg. THOSE are great bands by Virgil Donati, who is by far the most talented in Ring of Fire. Planet X is with Derek Sherenian (DT's keyboards on FII) and Tony Macalpine, they play some spacial-ambiented songs, in a very progressive way.
On the Virg is a band from Australia, and plays some metal-fusion, very good songs that show how good can Virgil can be (although it get's a little annoying if you listen to it repeatedly too much).