Introducing Symphony X to my guitar teacher

King Size

Mars Bar
Jun 13, 2005
England
So I finally got myself a guitar teacher after three years of failing to get really good on my own. I had my third lesson today & I found out my teacher's a big fan of John Petrucci, but he's never heard of Symphony X! Naturally I told him Symphony X are much better than Dream Theater, so now he wants me to play some stuff for him next week. So which song(s) do you suggest I play for him, & if possible could you link me to some decent tabs for them too? Much obliged. :)

what good is technical skill if you can't produce anyhting memorable or interesting with it? MJR for life!!! dream theater is boring to me. like yngwie. who cares if he's got skill? his stuff is boring! guys like MJR and Kiko Loureiro, and victor smolski think outside the box.

back on topic (knowing that my dt and yjm bashing will be responded to: on topic or off, faster than any comment reguarding the actual threat topic.)

if he likes petrucci so much, give him something from divine wings, damnation game, or twilight. in my opinion the best stuff is in the other 3. maybe you should play of sins and shadows, bird serpent war, or set this world on fire.

^:rolleyes:

Well, to contribute to the topic...that's great if he's interested in checking out SX and you want to bring stuff in for him, but the second you turn it into an "OMG SIMFONEE EKS IS BETTAR THAN DREEM THEETER" kind of thing, you are going to come off as being what some people would consider "mentally retarded"

exactly, just be like "Here's another great band who have some awesome similarities to Dream Theater as well as having their own unique sound and style..."

I love both bands, they both have stuff about them that I love, and I hate to say one is better than the other, the only reason I rate Dream Theater above them is because they were who got me into prog-metal, but really I love both bands, I can't understand why everyone has to choose one over the other...

PS. Clearly Meeds and myself were being sarcastic and taking a bit of a jab at the endless ZOMG DT VS SX@!!11! arguements, I apologise if it didn't come across strongly enough to be seen as this... :rolleyes:

So how many more posts are there gonna be before someone actually names some songs for the kid to show his guitar teacher?
lol thank you. :D

Alright I guess I can't say who the better technical player is, but I say Symphony X are better just because their music is much more engaging & heartfelt to me, that & because DT's singer just blows. :yuk: & I pretty much agree on darkblade's comments about technical skills.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions guys. I was thinking of playing some shorter, uptempo songs like Inferno or Sea Of Lies to start with, since they're pretty flashy from the offset & I'd love to be able to play them myself. Oh & yes, I'll try not to be too much of a retarded fanboy in front of him while I do it, good call. \m/

Here's some:

Sea of Lies
Egypt
Smoke and Mirrors or Church of the Machine
Seven
Occulus / Set the World on Fire
Of Sins and Shadows or Out of the Ashes
Evolution or The Bird Serpent War
Communion and the Oracle
A Fool's Paradise

This Video

Last edited by a moderator:
Masquerade contains one of Romeo's most interesting and creative guitar solos.

Completely agree. It's very different from what I hear in Romeo's solos usually. Sounds a bit Vai'ish to me.

@ Original Poster

For sweet intro rhythm show him Fallen
For sick solos show him the solo to Of Sins and Shadows
For sick off time rhythm show him Eyes of Medusa

If you can play Symphony X then why do you need a guitar teacher? Maybe your teacher can start paying YOU, lol.

I quite like Sea of Lies as a showoff song. The tapping part is interesting because you don't see too much tapping similar to that.