Ring Of Fire?

Mr. Shred-ididle

Its Chinese-Tilt ya' head
Jan 25, 2003
Does anyone like this super-band?

I havent heard anyone comment about them here before

They have the be best musicians in the world such as
Tony Macalpine:OMG: Vitalij Kuprij :OMG: Virgil Donati :OMG: Philip Bonoe:OMG: Mark Boals :OMG:

These guys need no introduction !

The started when ex yngwie singer Mark Boals wanted a perfect in-your-face, no-bullshit neoclassical band with the best musicians behind him with his solo album and The Oracle

Luckily now they have changed into a more proggy band with their new one Dreamtower!

Some songs even sound like Planet X songs with vocals!

So what do you guys think of them?

I enjoy this band very much, The songs Samurai and The oracle are the best they have i think, the other ones i find to repetitive, although the musicianship is excellent,Tony Macalpine has some really fast picking.

Mark is one of my best friends and I really like his, Tony's, Phil's, and Virg's work on Dreamtower. A lot of the older songs and a couple of the news songs that have that Yngwie-ish sound mostly come from a guy no longer in the band so I'm really happy with the direction they've gone now / are going. The Planet X thing really crops up in Virgil's songs, particularly "Invisible Man" which has that "Dog Boots" kinda feel to begin with.

Although it seems like a project band, a little known fact is that the four guys is the band right now are actually friends, work together in a lot of side projects and hang out together from time to time too. It's not just a "get together in the studio and see ya when we do the next album" kinda deal.

Too bad Vitalij left

Yeah, Track 8, 10, 12 are the main "planet X/ OTV with vocals" sound. Ironicly, they're the ones that Virgil wrote/co-wrote. Also Ironicly, they are my favourites. I seriously hope they continue further in this direction.

To Chris, you post on every forum I post on or check out ROF, PofO, John Pretucci, DT, Yours, SyX ect... Do you have a 26 hour day or sonmething.

So Chris, I know you know who the new keyboard player is. Your secret is safe with me.....tell me!>_<!

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
Too bad Vitalij left

Externally that may seem the case!:hotjump:

To Chris, you post on every forum I post on or check out ROF, PofO, John Pretucci, DT, Yours, SyX ect... Do you have a 26 hour day or sonmething.
I wish I did! A lot of my work has to do with being online so I multitask and post at lots of places while doing other things.
So Chris, I know you know who the new keyboard player is. Your secret is safe with me.....tell me!>_<!
Sorry! No can do. But the guy they have in mind is amazing, and perhaps a fairly unexpected choice. Be patient! Another ROF album may end up happening later this year.

Thanx for replying so quickly my fellow aussie!.

Hmm, lets see.. Unexpected but amazing?
Is it uh.. Richard Anderson (I hope not), Joe Glean (I hope so), Scott Kinsly (Unexpected), Andrew Schraze (Power of Omens Guest soloist) uhhh what about........

Ring of Fire is an great band. Their songs are really great, but the lyrics is not so good in someone of the songs. Songs as The Oracle and Samurai is extremely good songs! I recomend this band!

Yes I love this band.

IMO the only thing that is seperate them from the top crop of prog/power bands is their production.

Then need to work with a new producer for the next album so it can sound up to standards.

Plus I wouldn't mind if they gave up on some of the AOR tendencies.

Other than that they are one of my favorite bands on the planet. And Mark Boals is god.

lydman said:
ROF is one of my favorite bands! And Mark Boals is amazing! my favorite singer!!!

He`s vocal is great in many of the songs but i think Russel Allen is a better singer.
Anyway, i just dont seem to like Mark`s singing on Circle of time, mainly in the verse.