Who Shares my Opinion?

I think LaBrie's voice sounds flat lots of the time. If you watch him, he always sticks out his tongue when trying to hit the higher notes. That's kinda wierd. Dream Theater is still badass though (except Train of Thought).

karelrulez said:
:Smug:

Rock On Dream Theater :headbang:

EDIT: Indeed, LaBrie isn't that good. His voice is definately not for everyone and live he's not good at all.

You haven't seen him live in the past 2 years have you?

And to say he is not that good is just ignorant. His voice isn't for everyone...I agree, but to say he isn't good...where are you coming from on that? It takes a great amount of power and control to sing his lines, and there is not an abundance of people who can do that sort of thing. Few people could sing that stuff for an hour, let alone playing 3 hour shows night after night for months on end (and running around on stage underneath hot lights). Consider the difficulty of what he is singing and the conditions in which he is singing it. He's not perfect, and definately not the best singer out there, but it baffles me why anybody would say he "isn't that good."

Katalepsy said:
I think that DT is popular because they make music that sounds good,

That has nothing to do with it. DT is not even *that* popular, just more than most other prog bands. "Because the music sounds good" has nothing to do with their popularity...unless popular music suddenly utilizes odd time, guitar/keyboard unisons, high vocals, and 15 minute songs.

The Metal Chick said:
A trend eh? I think it's more of a trend to think DT is still the shizz after the craptastic Train of Thought. Of course its just my opinion that it blows goats, but look at the style of music that it's leaning towards. Now THATS a trend. :Smug:

It seems to also be a trend that people don't know a thing about why Train of Thought came out like it did.

For those who like to jump to conclusions as opposed to reading up on this stuff...ToT was a one-time deal. It was something they had wanted to try for awhile, and decided to give it a shot. Portnoy has made it very clear that the album is not at all indicative of their permanent direction, it was just a little thing they wanted to try.

About the Romeo vs. Petrucci thing...I think Romeo has Petrucci beat on a technical level, but Petrucci is lightyears ahead of Romeo in terms of versatility.

Luis said:
Guitars: Michael Romeo, Stephan Forte and Tony Macalpine

Stephan Forte is tasteless. Another typical fast shredder that lacks any originality. And his guitar tone ... makes me want to puke.

I'll comment on the thread later on.

i know everyone loves the song A Change Of Seasons, but my god it bores the shit out of me.. and I've tried to love it, I really have.. for the first few mins I'm thinking, man this song is pretty awesome, then LaBrie kicks in and drags the whole thing down a few feet, but I'm trying to love it still.. until several times I'm thinking its about to end and I'm like.. "hey thats not so bad".. but then it doesnt end! It starts going again, and I'm thinking.. "ok this is going too long.. end already!!!!".. and it still wont end..

SilentRealm said:
i know everyone loves the song A Change Of Seasons, but my god it bores the shit out of me.. and I've tried to love it, I really have.. for the first few mins I'm thinking, man this song is pretty awesome, then LaBrie kicks in and drags the whole thing down a few feet, but I'm trying to love it still.. until several times I'm thinking its about to end and I'm like.. "hey thats not so bad".. but then it doesnt end! It starts going again, and I'm thinking.. "ok this is going too long.. end already!!!!".. and it still wont end..

I know what part your'e talking about, but I still feel that the song flows better than anything else I have heard. SX flows great most of the time, but when they do that thing like 14 minutes into DWOT, which they also do in "A Lesson Before Dying" I get kind of bored.

A Change of Seasons is definintley my favorite epic of all time.
Second is probably Adonis by Anyone's Daughter

others are:
DWOT
Tubular Bells pt.1
The Odyssey
Gates of Delerium
Close to the Edge
Supper's Ready
Ocean Cloud(Marillion)

Luis said:
They dont have the best disc in the genre and they dont have the best musicans in the genre (With the exeption of Myung)

I can name better progressive musicians in than Portnoy and company:

Drums: Mark Zonder, Terry Bozzio and Jason Rullo

Guitars: Michael Romeo, Stephan Forte and Tony Macalpine

Singers: Actually LaBrie is one of the worst singers in the scene. Allen and Roy Khan (to mention a few) are much much better than James.

Jordan Rudess is an amazing pianist/keyboardist, however they are others in the same league: Pinella, Chirs Ingles, Andre Andersen, Kevin Codfert and Mark Robertson. In terms ot technique Vitalij Kuprij and Tony Macalpine are better than Jordan.

Regarding Myung. I dont have any complain.
Everything here is pure opinion. This is really a very stupid thread IMO. So you think Romeo is better than Petrucci. By what standard?

karelrulez said:
Indeed, LaBrie isn't that good. His voice is definately not for everyone and live he's not good at all.
Apparently you haven't seen any DT shows over the last 4-5 years ;). Whether you like his voice or not, he sounds just as good live as on the CD nowadays.

Anyway, both DT and SymX are in my top 5 for bands, so maybe thats why I think this is a pointless and stupid discussion.

Riceloft said:
Everything here is pure opinion. This is really a very stupid thread IMO. So you think Romeo is better than Petrucci. By what standard?

Apparently you haven't seen any DT shows over the last 4-5 years ;). Whether you like his voice or not, he sounds just as good live as on the CD nowadays.

Anyway, both DT and SymX are in my top 5 for bands, so maybe thats why I think this is a pointless and stupid discussion.

Fucking AMEN!!!