Here is a better one that DT ot SX heh >>>

SXProgMetal

Jul 30, 2002
Visit site
ok , i guess i am just bored
but who is better at their instruments , DT or SX ??

John Petrucci or Michael Romeo ??
After seeing them both play on Instructional vids , i'd have to say Romeo , he is a KILLER :devil:

Michael Pinnella or Jordan Rudess ??
hmm , not sure , i think Rudess wins ? :confused:

Jason Rullo or Mike Portnoy ??
hmm , again i think they are probably the same

Mike LePond or John Myung ???
i have no idea , the same ? :s

Sir Russell Allen or James LaBrie ??
everyone will know and agree about this >>>>>>
da da da da da da
Sir Russell Allen of course :headbang:

help on others !! thnx

As a whole, DT musicianship is unmatched! You name the position and DT's player will take them out. The close call is Romeo... hehe He is better technically... but I think JP has the edge in feeling and expression.

Opps... I forgot about Allen... I do like his singing better but LaBrie is definitely up there... another close one...

Dream Theater may be better musicians seperately but Symphony X as a whole is a better band to me. I like the way Symphony X writes and the heaviness as compared to Dream Theater and yes Russell Allen is a better vocalist than James La Brie again in my opinion.

Bear

Originally posted by Bear
Dream Theater may be better musicians seperately but Symphony X as a whole is a better band to me. I like the way Symphony X writes and the heaviness as compared to Dream Theater and yes Russell Allen is a better vocalist than James La Brie again in my opinion
I'm agree with MR. Bear :) SymphonyX has a sentiment and the music has much more feeling.
About Musicianship
MJR is really more and more perfectionist than JP, and also prefer more his Classical tendence technique (hope you get it :p) and if you dont, then watch the Guitar Chapter and you'll know what I'm talking about ;)
Russell Allen definitely is waaaaay much better than JL, there's no need of explaining.
about the others.. well I'm fanatic of Jordan Rudess (wich his skills are really incredible) but I love Pinnella style, same as MJR one; more inclined into the classical & (ala john williams) orchestration :D
about the others... I would compare them.. as equal or almost equal ;) (But always prefering SX musicians.. because I love the way they write music :headbang: )

Ok premitting that i don't have any musical knowledge to judge the skills of these players from the technical side of view, here are my humble opinions:
  • Michael J. Romeo vs John Petrucci - MJR is, like someone already said, a REAL perfectionist; i never heard him playing "dirty" on live performances, while i heard J. Petrucci being not so clean a lot of times; i like more, like NegrocK said, the classical background of MJR... i simply go crazy when i hear those arpeggios and i love his composing style. When i hear him performing i have shivers, while J. Petrucci simply doesn't make anything for me in terms of feeling. So you guess who i consider better :D
  • Michael Pinnella vs Jordan Rudess - it's difficult to judge, i think anyways that Pinnella could play the same things Rudess plays with DT, without problems. To choose one of the 2, i would need to hear some SOLO works of Pinnella to be able to compare him with Rudess. Lot of people already judged Rudess better, maybe because they also heard LTE, while Pinnella doesn't have much "portfolio" besides SymphonyX... anyways i still like more Pinnella's classic composition influences rather than Rudess' fusion ones (hear his solo album and you'll know what i mean), so my vote goes for Pinnella :D
  • Jason Rullo vs Mike Portnoy - i haven't heard Rullo's work in the Redemption CD, i should spin it some of these days. I do think Rullo is one of the most precise drummers i have heard... listen him on Death of Balance live, and compare it to the studio recording... amazing :) Portnoy maybe makes more "visual impression" LOL!!! with that 4 metres large drum equipment heheh! as for the skills, maybe they are equivalent, but Rullo has my vote because wins for simpathy hehe :D
  • Mike LePond vs John Myung - John Myung is a very good player, but i think Mike LePond equals him :) is just so difficult to judge their skills for me, since i know of bass less than i know of guitar (that is very few ugh!)... of course having listened more SyX than DT i am more used to LePond's style and for me he wins :D
  • Russell Allen vs James LaBrie - this is like the Dream Team challenging the women's basketball team i used to play with... that is, Russell Allen kicks LaBrie's butt 1million times!!! I was even getting used of LaBrie's awful tone when i firstly listened I&W (my fav DT album... that is, the only one i can listen sometimes) but after hearing him live, i throwed up (no offence for LaBrie's supporters) :D

Ok those were my honest thoughts :devil:

X-Greets,
Knight_

Originally posted by NegrocK_SyX

Could you Do it better than him???... I dont think so
What does someones own ability have to do with expressing an opinion on someone elses?

I like LeBrie and Allen both BUT! For different reasons. Allen has more of a metal voice( which I like hehe) where as LeBrie's voice has a certain dynamic that lends itself well to DT. Not that his(LB) voice is amazing, although it's pretty sweet, it just worls really well with DT's sound. Of course that's only an opinion...

Originally posted by Pablo Wablo
What does someones own ability have to do with expressing an opinion on someone elses?
It has to do if you are criticizing someone's skills (In this CASE PINNELLA's SOLOS)... like if you could do it better:
Michael Pinnella's solos are one of the worst ones I've heard. has that guy heard of phrasing?!
The fact that New Orleans is a Dying Whore made such a comment about Pinnella's phrasing skills makes me understand he considers himself more aknowledged than Pinnella about phrasing.
So that's why i thought he might have wanted to tell us he would even be able to make better solos than Pinnella ;)

ok heres my 2 cents

Vocals= Russell Allen
Keys= toss up.... depends on yer preferance
Bass= sorry guys... Myung rules on this one
Guitar= Micheal Romeo for overall technique.... but Petrucci seems to have more feeling and soul in his leads
Drums= Again sorry...... But Mike Portnoy wins this catagory..... Jason has some catching up to do... especially live... I've listened to both of them and certain double bass parts Jason tends to drag (slightly but its noticable) (and yes i'm trained proffessional drummer)

I just suk at spelling :D

I'm not trying to be overly critical and get this thread off-topic too much but i'm not a huge fan of the whole "If you can't do better, your opinion doesn't matter" attitude. They're opinions. That's it. Like the old saying goes... "Opinions are like assholes... everyone's got one" You mentioned in another thread somewhere that you seen DT live and you said the show sucked.
Could you Do it better than them???... I dont think so
I just don't see what the point of saying that is, that's all. Example: I hate Ingvay Palmsteen. Has this guy heard of feeling? No, I can't play like him, but it doesn't make my opinion of him any less valid. If you like him, more power to ya. Personally, my musical tastes require more than a single scale played the exact saem way for the last 20 years. [/rant]

Anyways... LOL As †Russel Allen†® mentioned... Rudess on keys for SX... that would be pretty cool to hear.
I watch my Romeo videos and I can't get over how exact his technique is... really amazing! That means there's still hope for little fingered people like me. :D

Alden

ok here's my two cents imo what kind of opinion is this?
to be honest, Michael Pinnella's solos are one of the worst ones I've heard. has that guy heard of phrasing?!
imo this is just useless bashing against a musician this ain't an opinion i don't know if it was a joke or what anyway i don't care if you don't like his style or if you think that he lacks skill on his instrument just say it or keep it to yourself don't use useless and stupid bashing like this just cause i don't like a solo from a guitarrist or a keyboard player i'm not gonna say that those solos are the worst that i've heard i keep that opinion to my self oh and another thing if you think you can do better solos go try for yourself don't bash other musicians that work their ass off to make the music they love

I think it's pretty equal until you get to the singers; labrie is absolutely horrible, while mr. allen is one the VERY few singers in this genre who seems to have actual talent. Thanks to labrie, listening to DT is pretty painful.

It's hard to come up w/a "winner" in the drum category. I am pretty new to symphony x, but i like what i have heard so far of jason's drumming. It seems very precise and powerful, and i love his combination hi-hat/ride cymbal work; it's truly unique in the genre. Portnoy seems like a 'standard' prog drummer in terms of the double bass skills, but i've become a bigger fan since hearing him on LTE. His use of percussion really adds something to his sound, and it's good to see that he can do more than just blazing double bass for 10 minute stretches (though that is damn impressive). I'm looking forward to hearing more of jason's playing in the near future.

ok here goes my first post :D

Singing:
I think there's one really obvious winner and thats in the singing department. For me JL ruins alot of DT songs with his high pitched shrills, he just doesnt have a good singing voice plain and simple, and that's a shame cause despite him DT (and LTE) are 2 of my favorites and they contain some of my favorite musicians. Russell can hit the high notes tastefully and with power. He also has alot more masculine voice than JL.

Guitar:
This is a very close match, people who prefer classical will tend to choose Romeo over Petrucci. I have Romeo's instructional video (on VHS guys, sorry :( ) and I also have several live performances by Petrucci such as the Scenes From New York DVD. These are both top notch players, but Romeo has that extra something that puts him over Petrucci. I guess the way he effortlessly pulls off those amazing licks??? Also when Romeo plays the orchestra parts from V on guitar live i get goosebumps

Bass:
I really have no idea on this
:confused:

Keyboards:
Based on skill I would have to go with Jordan Rudess. My jaw drops when I see some of the stuff he plays, and those ragtime passages (Dance of enternity) are classic... plus since he's a graduate from Juliard (admitted at 9) that says alot too. That's not taking away from Pinella though, he just has a different style and is more band oriented like some of you mentioned before. One thing i have noticed from the few live recordings of SX is that Romeo/Pinella seem to harmonize and play the same notes and the same time better than Rudess/Petrucci (from the Scenes from New York DVD where they slipped up a bit)

Drums:
At this time I think Portnoy is the better drummer, but that comes with more playing time and experience. He's at a different point in his carrer than Rullo. I dont play drums but i got Portny's Liquid Drum Theater Instructional DVD and still enjoyed watching him play LTE and DT songs and breaking down the dynamics. With time Rullo will get better and better

aaaand im spent
:)