Anyone every notice some of the striking similarites between SX and DT?

v01c354nd51gn5 said:
and how many other bands have used *the mirror* riff in their songs. let me make a list for you.

First, I agree with this, but I'll go further by saying that it's not a very original riff in the first place and anyone could probably find a dozen examples of similar riffs that pre-date "The Mirror." A simple "chug-chug-chug..." riff that switches between on an off beats depending on what the rest of the band is doing. Then throw some melody over it with keys etc. Lot's of examples of that around.

Second, As far as I know, Portnoy's statement was referring to Medusa Eyes. I'm pretty certain of this because I first heard of that statement WAY before V ever came out. (and I agree there is a similarity, but see comment above. Prog bands have been using variations on that technique for decades.)

Finally: Yeay, I get a chance to share some knowledge that I learned directly from the source! When I saw the band in LA I had a chance to talk to them, and I asked Mike LePond about the re-recording of the Debut. Now we all know how the band feels about info leakage of their affairs from unreliable sources, so please don't take this as fact just cause I'm saying so, but all Mike said to me was that they weren't sure if it would still happen. :(

That's all I have to say about that.

Paul Adrian
http://wooden-badger.com

SilentRealm said:
if thats the similarities does that mean that symphony x's next album will be a crappy nu-metal rip off? noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. pineapple on your pizza is YUMMY
Crappy nu-metal rip off?!?! you my friend are sorely mistaken. Anyway, simply put, if DT and Sym X toured together, I could die after having seen that show.

v01c354nd51gn5 said:
i really wouldnt like to see a DT/SX tour, just because their music is so different to me. Yeah it progmetal, yeah its good, yeah its talent and musicianship out the wazoo, but i couldnt be in a DT mood and an SX mood in the same night. not sure if anyone gets what im sayin here, lol, but atleast i do.

And I thought I was the only one that felt this way. There's just something about the two bands that doesn't mix together, even though there are plenty of fans of both bands. Besides, if they did tour together, would it really be a double headliner tour? Probably not. It would be DT headlining, and a useless tour for SymX IMO. Luckily, I don't forsee it happening anyway.

Oh good gods of hell and further...

I Like them both. DT and SX

DT is more the softy dreamy prog metal (good to fall asleep)
SX is more the rough fantasy prog metal (good to wake up)

Ayroen/Star One is the fusion of both (just on the edge) :D

We can re-invite the music, we are just able to "decorate" and "reorder" that, what still exist, we do this unconsciously.

this few bars sounds like their wher lifted from this and this sounds like this and this remembers me to this which is great, and so on and on...

DT are the Kings of ProgMetal and SX are the successors! Thats it...

AND LISTEN HOW SIMILAR THE VOICES AT SOME POINTS IN THE SONG "The Dying Soul" FROM DREAM THEATER SOUNDS LIKE SOME OLD METALLICA STUFF ^^ for exampel "Blackened" from the justice album

Listen !

About "the mirror" thing, I think Death of Balance has a riff that has the same rhythm as the verse riff in The mirror, but if we want to get picky, they aren't the same notes. How can you copyright a rythm?

If that were the case then Tallica would have even more money.

Tool... are you talking about Maynard James Keenans Band ? They have something to do with DT or SX ???

DT maybe:

Here my theory

The Dying Soul (nevertheless a great Song!)

02:04 - 03:20
Sounds really like Tool ! (the vocal line and instrumental technique)

07:16 - 07:39
The lead vocals sounds like a vocal part from Blackened (Metallica)

and whats with the Song "Honour thy Father" ?

00:03 - 00:13
Sounds Like the Beginning of "Damage Inc." (Metallica) 01:20-01:30
*lol*
exactly 10 seconds too ! *lol*

Strange...deja vu

Such strange like Lifting the Shadows (Mirror) riff Of A Dream by SX... :p

Dream Theaters songs are, so I think, about Mental/Political etc. problems and themes

Symphony X´ songs are about Fantasy Storys, Fairytales, Lost Kingdoms, Love, Knights and all these stuff

There is the different.

The musicial career of SX seems to become more difficult than the way of DT was. 4 guys from DT went on a music acadamy and the sx guys, well I know that rullo is on a drum academy.
Besides, I guess that the music of DT accost to a wider range of (Metal/Prog, whatever)people. The Music of DT is "easier" to understand or to become interesting for other people.
For example, Another Day from DT. This song has the same effect like Nothing Else Matters, almost all people like this song.
Accolade II is the first song from SX where I can say "Yeah, this song is good to show someone SX"
I never succeded in enthuse someone really with SX ;(

The Metal Chick said:
And I thought I was the only one that felt this way. There's just something about the two bands that doesn't mix together, even though there are plenty of fans of both bands. Besides, if they did tour together, would it really be a double headliner tour? Probably not. It would be DT headlining, and a useless tour for SymX IMO. Luckily, I don't forsee it happening anyway.
I agree that it probably will not happen. I think DT wants to do their "evening with" format unless they are doing a co-headlining deal like with Queensryche. But I certainly don't think it would be a useless tour for Symphony X! There are a lot of Dream Theater fans who have never heard of them, and I have to think that they would make a great impression on a lot of those people. Not all, but it would certainly bring in more fans.

OfSinsAndShred said:
They pretty much ignore eachother. I know Romeo has some DT CDs from what he's said in interviews and such, but they don't hang out.

Oh yeah... with the sixth studio album they both got into a raw, heavier sound. Another similarity.

Man, they should tour. Metalheads around the world would keel over and die with happiness.
only if mustaine reformed megadeth and joined the tour

Kyra said:
I certainly don't think it would be a useless tour for Symphony X! There are a lot of Dream Theater fans who have never heard of them, and I have to think that they would make a great impression on a lot of those people. Not all, but it would certainly bring in more fans.

I see the truth to this. Yes I'm sure they could grab a bunch of new fans. However, I believe that Symphony X prefers to do headlining tours. Especially with a new album that they're gonna have, they need time to play more than like 5 songs in order to please the fans they already have. And they gotta fit in the Odyssey song, man! Anyway, all this amounts to my opinion that they are better off headlining. They've gained a ton of new fans just by putting out The Odyssey. I think they'll be fine without the help of DT.

-=Shardik=- said:
AND LISTEN HOW SIMILAR THE VOICES AT SOME POINTS IN THE SONG "The Dying Soul" FROM DREAM THEATER SOUNDS LIKE SOME OLD METALLICA STUFF
And have you ever noticed the striking similarities between Dream Theater and themselves?! "This Dying Soul" even sounds like "The Glass Prison" in one place!!!11one :hotjump: Now if that isn´t conspicous...

The Stormbringer said:
And have you ever noticed the striking similarities between Dream Theater and themselves?! "This Dying Soul" even sounds like "The Glass Prison" in one place!!!11one :hotjump: Now if that isn´t conspicous...

Ummm....dumbshit :wave: :confused: :loco: ......it's supposed to....It's the sequel!!! What, are you next going to tell me that oh, no, they are copying themselves on Metropolis Pt 2, just because they use rhythms and grooves from Metropolis pt. 1: Miracle and the sleeper, from Images? It's very intentional!!! Oh, no...Accolade II sounds too much like accolade I!!! Can't have sequels musically related to their predecessors!!

I can understand not liking how they copy Metallica, but they are as entitled to copy themselves, sequel-wise as Sym X are for the Accolades, or Megadeth for Return To Hangar, or Metallica with Unforgiven, too (ugh.... :puke: :yuk: ) or any other sequels to songs done by the same band