albums and tracks

batera

Oct 22, 2007
What is the deal when bands release "bonus tracks" on albums only in certain countries (e.g. Japan)? Also, it seems that bands record more songs than what makes it onto the final album. I understand if they want to split it up over more albums, but it seems also that some of these songs never get published. For example, "Dance Macabre" that never made it onto the first SX album. I've heard vague references from bands in interviews to "the label wanted ____", but what is exactly the deal here?

In Japan, it's actually cheaper for residents to buy imports, so the domestic labels entice people with bonus tracks, early release dates, etc., so that they will buy locally. Most of those bonus tracks are simply songs that didn't "make the cut" for the main release, or it's a live track of some sort. I imagine that stuff is contractual when a band signs with a Japanese label/distributor...some bands put more effort into it and offer quality tracks, other times it's more of an afterthought/nuissance.

I see; thanks. So they're kinda forced to add something extra in order to have local distribution in Japan? Funny how it works out that way.