Compelling concept albums.

Empty Vision

The Accolade
Feb 15, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I've had Universal Migrator part 1 and 2 by Ayreon for about 8 months now, I have never really given it more than a casual listen every now and then but I knew that most of the material was pretty good, and I never followed a long with the concept or anything, as I said it was mostly just casual listens. That was until today. Today I was loading up a lot of my albums onto iTunes for my gf as she has an ipod now, I load up this album and decided to let it play through while i was loading up the rest of the stuff. I didn't have anything particularly important to do so I read through the whole concept while listening and I fucking love it. Mainly Flight Of the Migrator grabbed me the most, but its one of the few concept album that has really grabbed me by the emotive balls and not let go. By the end of it I was thinking fuck this is a really good story why didn't I pick up on it earlier? I think this kind of story would be pretty cool if it was made into a movie.

Anyway concept albums don't usually grab me, a lot of the time IMO bands can't really make the story or theme sound convincing, either the lyrics and plot are cheesy or the music doesn't mold to the storyline well enough. V -The New Mythology Suite is a concept album that I can get into because the music is excellent and the storyline is played out with mostly good results. On the other hand something like Dream theater's Scenes from A memory while musically excellent, the story just makes me laugh not because of the content but because its just so cheesy when DT do it, I think if the lyrics were done a little better and there was more fine tuning it could be really compelling.

What are some concept albums that have really pulled you in and emmersed you in both the music and the concept. I'd love to hear thoughts and maybe I can pick up on a few of these albums.

I agree with The Universal Migrator concept. One of the best stories ever IMO (after V).

My other favourites:
Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle-Earth
Evergrey - In Search Of Truth
and of course V

I love concept albums. There's usually so much more to concept albums than others.

My favorite full-concept albums are Symphony X's V - The New Mythology Suite, Dream Theater's Scenes from a Memory, A.C.T's Last Epic, Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle-Earth, Ayreon's Into the Electric Castle, King Diamond's The Pupper Master, Abigail and The Eye, Pain of Salvation's Be and Savatage's Dead Winter Dead and The Wake Of Magellan.

However, there are shitloads of albums with like "trilogies" of songs on 'em (for example on Iced Earth's Something wicked this way comes) that are awesome aswell, for the same reason. What I love the most about albums like these, is that often reach like a climax. For example the end of The Odyssey, "The Black Horsemen" on King Diamond's Abigail and "Iter Impius" on Pain of Salvation's Be. These songs and parts mean so much more in the context of the story.

Into the Electric Castle by Ayreon
House of Atreus Act One and Invictus by Virgin Steele
Nightfall In Middle Earth by Blind Guardian

I like some concept albums too. Ayreon has very good one's, like Electric Castle.
Concept albums I own:
Symphony X - V
Porcupine tree - Lazarus and Shallow
Ayreon - The Human Equation

I've listened to much more though, just don't own them.

Operation Mindcrime 1
BE (holy crap. I don't care if you like the music... the concept is amazing.)
Dead Winter Dead, Wake of Magellan
Xenn - Offworld
THE BREATHING SHADOW
CRIMSON
El Cielo, Catch Without Arms, Leitmotif

need I continue?

Rush - 2112 (okay, it's only half an album, but it was probably the first concept piece I ever heard, & it still grabs me by the throat to this day, 20-some-odd years later)

Pain of Salvation- all of them, especially TPE, Remedy Lane, and BE
Ayreon-The Human Equation
Opeth- Still Life
queensryche- Operation Mindcrim
Shadow Gallery- Tyranny ( Room V was good too, but I don't think it held a candle to tyranny)
Kamelot- Epica/Black Halo
Spock's Beard- Snow

Pain of Salvation- all of them, especially TPE, Remedy Lane, and BE
Ayreon-The Human Equation
Opeth- Still Life
queensryche- Operation Mindcrim
Shadow Gallery- Tyranny ( Room V was good too, but I don't think it held a candle to tyranny)
Kamelot- Epica/Black Halo
Spock's Beard- Snow
Oh, I forgot about Epica/The Black Halo...they are good...and Snow is pretty great, as well...

HackerX said:
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain is, according to Haughm.

Made me laugh, I was trying to find the reference to him saying that, when I came across this:
http://www.last.fm/user/fallingsnow/journal/2006/07/15/180098/
... it's all become clear now

omg :lol: that is hilarious!

these have been mentioned before but my fav concepts:

Crimson & Crimson 2 (Edge of Sanity)
THE (Ayreon)
Operation: Mindcrime (Queensryche)
Still Life - Opeth
V (Who else?)

I saw someone said King Diamond up above, but it needs to be restated.

Abigail, "Them", Conspiracy, etc. etc. Holy fuck, King can do no wrong (except in the mid 90's when he put out the eye and spiders lullabye... those kinda sucked). House of God remains one of the greatest concepts EVER. I want that album cover tattoo'd on my back. For serious. I have an awesome idea for a backpiece.

These two are so far a head of all the other concept albums....

Opeth - Still Life
Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element